P&b Running Club

They changed the routes this year for GSR. The route for half marathon is what they will be using for the Commonwealth games next year for the marathon (2 laps of the course) not sure if the 10K has changed as well. The routes are on the GSR website.

They changed the routes this year for GSR. The route for half marathon is what they will be using for the Commonwealth games next year for the marathon (2 laps of the course) not sure if the 10K has changed as well. The routes are on the GSR website.

I dont think that is strictly true the commonwealth marathon route takes in some of the GSR route but also includes pollok park and doesnt look like it goes over the kingston bridge. The reason they changed the GSR route was to make it faster to attract better elite athletes hence dropping the Pollok park element

Links

Marathon route - http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0042/00422555.pdf

GSR Route - http://www.greatscottishrun.com/TheEvent/thecourse.aspx

I had hoped the would do a test of the marathon route prior to the games but that seems unlikely now.

Edited by diamonds2002

Yeah route change for the GSR is a bit of a shame, I enjoyed running the Kingston bridge portion.

The course is ok, but that slight incline at the start when running out of George square is a git when I'm not into my stride yet.

Also doing the mo run in glasgow this year.

So what's everyone's aim for the GSR this year??

Yeah route change for the GSR is a bit of a shame, I enjoyed running the Kingston bridge portion.

The course is ok, but that slight incline at the start when running out of George square is a git when I'm not into my stride yet.

Also doing the mo run in glasgow this year.

So what's everyone's aim for the GSR this year??

You still go over the Kingston bridge on the GSR

Doing my first ever 10k in under 3 weeks. I'm not particularly fit (6ft1 and 15 stone), and I'm still just getting over having the flu. My training has been very little because of this. I know I need to get out running, but my working hours are kinda limiting me with this. It's dark by the time I get home. So all I've done is treadmill training which I know isn't the same. I always do 5k in comfortably under 30 minutes, but I'm a little concerned I never do anything more and that I haven't been properly running. I have a proper 5.5k training run planned for this weekend with a mate though. (But he is similarly unprepared for his first ever run). Any advice or encouragement greatly appreciated.

Edit to add: We're not planning on being serious runners long term btw, we're doing this for charity because my mates nephew got leukemia at 2 years old. But I wouldn't be averse to keeping it up.

Best of luck, it's a great biz when you complete it, and usually when going around there's lots of encouragement too.

the neil mccover half is the same day. a much quiter affair with a fast field, Im doing it and expect to be in the last 10/20% of runners

Where is that held and what is the course like?

Edited to add - seems to start in Kirkintilloch.

Edited by BishyTON

I dont think that is strictly true the commonwealth marathon route takes in some of the GSR route but also includes pollok park and doesnt look like it goes over the kingston bridge. The reason they changed the GSR route was to make it faster to attract better elite athletes hence dropping the Pollok park element

Links

Marathon route - http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0042/00422555.pdf

GSR Route - http://www.greatscottishrun.com/TheEvent/thecourse.aspx

I had hoped the would do a test of the marathon route prior to the games but that seems unlikely now.

I've been talking shite then telling everyone its the same course as the Commonwealth. Not sure were O picked that up from.

Looking at the GSR route not too keen in the bit around 8/9 miles where you will be able to see the faster guys on the home stretch.

Where is that held and what is the course like? Edited to add - seems to start in Kirkintilloch.

Yeah Woodhead park in Kirky. About 1km (or slightly more) from Lenzie station. Run starts at 9am which is a fairly early IMO.

It says a lot about the field when their prize giving is 'shortly after 11' !

I've been floundering a bit... But I've had a good think about where my running is going in the long term. I've a small race on 6th of October - 5k trail run. Then Glack Attack (think slightly tamer Tough Mudder) in November and then I've decided to up my training and get some half marathons under my belt. I've only done one half, but there are a few I have my eye on over the next year and a half and if I can keep up with that and get some serious mileage on the go, I'll think about stepping it up again to marathon distance once the smallest one is going to nursery.

Initially I was gunning for a PB - sub 1:55. Then I thought 2:10. I've had a hell of a summer so I'm just planning on taking in the sights and sounds, soak up the atmosphere.

. I did it last year as my first HM. Target was sub-2 but ended up at 2:05:12, basically because I didn't train enough. My time included a bit of walking.

Atmosphere was great, I love doing the mass-participation races.