P&b Running Club

Well Done on the PB Disco Duck!Some cracking achievements here!I've had a look online and there are numerous, so many I can't tell what's good and what's not, but can anyone give me some guidelines or plans for half-marathon training that they've used? Not sure what I should be doing as part of my training.

I used the intermediate one on here...can't post the direct link from my phone, here's the URL.

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/get-involved/join-an-event/get-ready-for-your-event/training-for-a-run/training-plans_wda79222.html

That was warm today, struggled with the lack of shade until it clouded over for the last 4 miles. That last out and back stretch was a killer - the turn felt like it was never coming!

Managed to break my target of 1:50:00 by 0.47 seconds according to my watch! A fair old sprint for the line. Very pleased with that, kept a pretty steady 5:10-5:15/km pace throughout.

Saw the leaders of the marathon running past the 9 mile mark (at 42 minutes...), as if it was a stroll in the park. The technique they have is amazing; their cadence isn't much quicker than mine but they almost float along, all forward momentum and no up-and-down.

Edit- my only previous HM time was 2:05:12 in last years Glasgow one, so smashed my PB. Not having to walk helped!

Noooooooo, my official time is 1:50:01!!!

Noooooooo, my official time is 1:50:01!!!

Ouch! That only means you have to go back next year... ;)

Really good times all round, especially given the heat that always shows up for these two days (and the hilly nature of the 10k route!). I've got a touch of sunburn for my marshalling troubles, but the rest of you may be suffering in other ways so I won't complain.

Feel like I smashed my target time for the HM of 1:45 by running it in 1:40:47! :D Felt good for it being the first time stepping up to the distance. First couple of miles felt hard with the heat (hadn't trained for that!) but was fine after the first water station and was comfortably hitting a pace ahead of what I was going for. Last 2 or 3 miles felt hard going but managed to force myself to sprint the last 200 yards! Far from disappointed with the position either, 714th isn't too shabby when I know someone who was outside the top 4800.

Strangely only feeling a little stiff today!

1:45:50. Ready to pull out on Saturday night having done zero running for 6 weeks due to a niggling heel injury but decided to do it. Utterly delighted at the time and not done anything as satisfying for years. That last 3 miles were gut wrenching though.

Legs in bits today.

ETA, also my first ever event and never ran more than 9 miles in my life.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Edited by CowdenLoyal

Feel like I smashed my target time for the HM of 1:45 by running it in 1:40:47! :D Felt good for it being the first time stepping up to the distance. First couple of miles felt hard with the heat (hadn't trained for that!) but was fine after the first water station and was comfortably hitting a pace ahead of what I was going for. Last 2 or 3 miles felt hard going but managed to force myself to sprint the last 200 yards! Far from disappointed with the position either, 714th isn't too shabby when I know someone who was outside the top 4800.

Strangely only feeling a little stiff today!

Just looked at the photos now that they're up - I'm such a poser!!

Yesterday was only my second half marathon after the Great Scottish Run last year. I was really looking forward to it but didn't feel quite 100% at the beginning of the race. Couldn't put my finger on it and I dismissed it as tiredness after not sleeping the previous two nights. First few miles were fine but quite energy sapping due to the heat of the sun. Managing to stick on course for a 2 hour finish. After the fifth mile my guts really started to churn and I had to stop 3 times and queue for the toilets (of which there was only 2-3 sometimes). Honestly thought I was gonna shit myself at one point! Finished in a dissapointing 2:17:51, almost 13 minutes slower than Glasgow.

Congratulations to everyone who ran yesterday though. Some cracking times which I could only dream about!

Edited by Leggy Blonde

felt really good this morning so went on a coastal run , weather is superb today went along Bangor Marina,through Crawfordsburn and down to Helens Bay and back ,took in some of Crawfordsburn Country Park as well, this route was made for running trust me,think all told it would be around the 7 mile mark possibly a bit over. good sea air in my lungs didn't even bother about the time but went at a decent pace, may do the same tomorrow if the weather holds up.

Edited by Co.Down Hibee

How is everyone feeling after Edinburgh? Done any running?

Is the Great North Run worth £49?!

As a race - no. As an experience - yes. Being at the start with 50,000 other people is a sight to see. The start with the Red Arrows and if you time it right you can get them at the Tyne Bridge and the Sea Front (known as the Leas), but you want to be faster than that!!!!

The support through Newcastle, Gateshead, Felling is great till you get about 4 miles in and it disappears and you have nothing till Jarrow about 2-3 miles later then it's amazing all the way to the finish. There is a long climb for 3 miles from the 9 mile point and then it's a sharp downhill and turn on to the Leas and that last mile and a bit is brilliant.

I do recommend coming down on the Friday or Sat Morning at the latest and watching the City Games on the Quayside the day before and the Junior Great North Run. You can do the Pasta Party. Last 2 years have been great there and met most of the athletes. I even asked the officials if I could join in the long jump (I knew them from my club).

As a race it's annoying as you get people walking from the 1st pen that have bought numbers/lied about their times to get in and the first 2 miles are a case of dodging bodies or avoid getting hit. Once you get past the Tyne Bridge it evens out as they are even left behind or the fastest guys have passed you.

There is a lot of hate from the local clubs at the price. There is no club places. My club has to give up th track for 3-4 weeks when they build and take down the start and hospitality (which we do not get compensated for). Mr Foster has been quoted saying that he doesn't have to give places away to fill the race as people are willing to pay for them (which they are as over 100k enter the ballot.)

There is a lot of other better half marathons/10k in the Tyne and Wear area that I could recommend that are better to run and value for money. I do have a GNR place, but I may not make the start line this year. Only reason I entered was that I said that I would do it for charity, which is what this race has become about more than anything.

If anyone wants to run this race you can still get places for charity, but you have to check web sites (Guide Dogs for the Blind had them 2 weeks before the race for £50 that's my free hint), but I will let you know if I hear anything this year about "cheap" charity places if there is any.

How is everyone feeling after Edinburgh? Done any running?

Felt fine until I played football on Tuesday night. Combination of the half marathon and not having played for months left me hobbling about at work on Wednesday with pain in my hip and glute - funnily enough, sympathy was lacking in the office.

First time hill running yesterday (and probably my last), up and down Tinto hill in1hr 7mins. Excruciating pain in my hip meant a pretty poor 45 mins up, the return was better, only 22 mins.