P&b Running Club

3 Miles today completed in 24 minutes. This'll be my last run before the marathon and was just a nice short effort to keep the legs ticking over. I'm beginning to get the nervous/excited feeling that I usually get before a race. Can't wait for 9 am on Sunday morning

I'm shitting it now, christ knows what I'll be like on Sunday.

I notice there are 3 energy gel stations this time round. In 2003 they had some kids handing out some rancid gels from a cardboard box around 17 miles. I won't need to take any with me this time now :)

TM, where did you read about the energy gel stations? I can only see details of the Lucozade sport stations which are handing out the 330ml pouches of orange Lucozade sport.

I'm planning on taking three gels with me in the back pocket of my shorts.

TM, where did you read about the energy gel stations? I can only see details of the Lucozade sport stations which are handing out the 330ml pouches of orange Lucozade sport.

I'm planning on taking three gels with me in the back pocket of my shorts.

It might be the lucozade pouches I was referring to :ph34r:

Better take a gel with me in case of emergencies.

Not seen mention of gels being handed out anywhere so will have a brace of them in my back pocket along with some jelly babies. Thats me just back from an easy 4 and half mile run, thats my last now till Sunday at 9am. Bring it on, just got to sort out my playlist and try to fill up bout 4 hours worth (i have volume control inline so can turn down should i want to soak up the atmosphere :-/) oh and head thru to the Expo tomorrow at tea time to pick up my race number etc. Really just want it to be Sunday now, all these phantom aches and pains are playing havoc with me.

Got Indiana in the schedule also ThunderM ;)

Edited by Watty

I've got a fecking cold now!

I think I'm through the worst of it now. Hopefully be okay on the day.

I can't believe some of you guys run races with iPods! What a bunch of poofs! :lol:

Coming from a man who can't handle a bowl of milk in the morning I'm sure I'll get over it :P:lol:

Edited by Thundermonkey

I've got a fecking cold now!

I think I'm through the worst of it now. Hopefully be okay on the day.

I can't believe some of you guys run races with iPods! What a bunch of poofs! :lol:

I've never really understood that either. I can understand them in training but not in a race. Anyway each to his own.

Is it Sunday morning yet???

I've never really understood that either. I can understand them in training but not in a race. Anyway each to his own.

Is it Sunday morning yet???

I'm taking mine along as I'm recording my race data from my Nike+. The 8 mile playlist is an insurance policy against fatigue at the end of the race ;)

I wouldn't want to be oblivious to the whole marathon/race atmosphere.

Coming from a man who can't handle a bowl of milk in the morning I'm sure I'll get over it :P:lol:

:lol::P

Picked up my race pack at the Expo this afternoon. A fecking 4 hour round trip. The traffic was murder. :angry:

My cold seems to be clearing up. Or maybe its just all the decongestants I've taken! :lol:

Good luck to everyone on Sunday. B)

Just away to munch a copious amount of pasta ahead of tomorrow, good luck anyone who is running Edinburgh and hope we all get the times we want. Look forward to seeing how everyone has got on.

As for my standard at the moment I've just been building it up slowly, last run I did 4.8 miles in about 36 mins, but my quads and lower back were exhausted and I really felt like I was dragging myself round. Think I'll do that distance a few more times and try to get closer to 7 min mile pace then up the distance some more.

The above run was actually 4.5 miles and I did it in 35 minutes, dunno where I got the above info from! Did it again this morning and knocked 2 minutes off my time and felt good, and thats despite having to wait about a minute to get across Maryhill road. I'm really enjoying running at the moment hopefully build it up to a decent distance at a good pace then decide if I'll enter some races.

Good luck to everybody whose running tomorrow. And thanks Captain Sensible & Diamonds 2002 for the links.

Thats me home after finshing today in 3 hours 35 mins 55 secs, unofficial time, 27 minutes better than my last effort so pretty chuffed. Was toiling the last 2/3 miles but expected that though was still able to put a wee spurt on for the home straight, now going to eat eat eat cos i'm hank marvin!! Hope everyone else got on well, i'm sure i'll be seeing your times posted on here over the next few days. :) :)

Just back from Edinburgh.

My lack of long runs from the end of March onwards came back to haunt me.

Finished in 3:13 and 18 secs - which was a long way short of my 3 hour target and only 4 mins faster than last year. Frustratingly, my mate Brian who I have trained with and who has enevr beaten me in a race came home in 2.58. I stayed with him for the first 6 miles but decided to go a little slower from thereon as I knew my lack of long runs and the strong wind would cause me problems.

Had to stop at a portaloo for a pee at 11 miles which lost me 30 secs but my real problems started after 13 miles. I went through half way in just over 1.31 but started having this strong urge for a Paula Radcliffe (a no.2). It interupted a couple of miles as I slowed down each tim ethe urge came on and I started considering jumping behind a bush. Kept on going and once I turned at Gorseford House after 18 miles and had the wind behind me I started to feel better and started to speed up. Miles 19 & 20 were averaged under 7 mins.

Mile 21 however saw the urge for a poo overcome me and I had to stop behind a bush to relieve myself. I really started to slow after that and was down to 7.30 min miles until I reached mile 25. The last two miles killed me. I even had to walk in mile 25 for about 0.2 of a mile. Averaged the last two miles in over 9 min miles. "Speeded" up to 8 min miles for the last week section to get me over the finish line.

I felt awful immediately afterwards and had to go and get myself cleaned up! :lol:

My legs were also stinging as a result of my pit stop in what was obviously a bush of nettles. Thank fuck I didn't use a leaf to wipe my arse! :lol:

Not too disappointed. The fact that I didn't get a single long weekend long run after the 30 March which wasn't disrupted by a stitch meant thT ai knew I would struggle in the latter stages - and so it proved. The last 6 miles and in particular the last two saw me slow right down. I also had a cold - and still do - and have been suffering from astham and hayfever of the past fortnight. It probably wasn't a great idea to have a bottle of lucozade Sport and a day nurse tablet for my breakfast. No wonder I shat myself after 21 miles! :lol:

Never mind - its made me more determined than ever. I know I can run at sub 3 hour pace easily enough - I just didn't have the endurance this year. I can now spend the summer doing 10ks and half marathons and try to get a breakfast routine that means I don't get a stitch on my long training runs.

Thats me home after finshing today in 3 hours 35 mins 55 secs, unofficial time, 27 minutes better than my last effort so pretty chuffed. Was toiling the last 2/3 miles but expected that though was still able to put a wee spurt on for the home straight, now going to eat eat eat cos i'm hank marvin!! Hope everyone else got on well, i'm sure i'll be seeing your times posted on here over the next few days. :) :)

Well done Watty.

Very impressive time. B)

At least you managed a new PB captain, hope you didnae put the feet up and have a read of the news of the world when you wir curling one out :/

What did you think of the course conditions? I was actually not to bothered by the wind, although it fair hit you when you came down on to the promenade at Portobello, funny bit of track running when you entered Gosford House was a bit weird, the last few miles i felt like i was ready to pass out, felt nauseating but decent turn out over the last 0.5 miles helped me get my motivation back. Looking forward to seeing what the official time says but they not avail til tomorrow.

Any idea how the other 2 got on? No sign of Thunder M, maybe he laid up with sore hip.

Legs are feeling OK today, not as bad as i mind them being like the last time, quads and hams sore but apart from that i appear unscathed from my exertions.

I'm in a bit of pain, hip's fine but my legs are killing me!

Given my hip frustrations I was looking to beat my previous of 4:56. Looks like I came in about 4:15 which I'm utter overjoyed with. I forgot to stop my Nike+ so I'll need to wait till the results are in the Edinburgh News on Tuesday. Taking 40 odd minutes off my previous is great.

My head stated to go down at 14 miles when I could see the course stretch out for miles ahead but that little spur before the House was really well supported and that got me round to about mile 23. At here I started to physically struggle and decided to walk/run as I wilted in the heat. I tried to run it out in 2003 and my time really dropped through the floor so walking for 30 second spurts with the lucozade really helped me maintain my running pace when I did run. Little grumbles about that weird plastic platform we had to run along at the racecourse and it was all a bit mad trying to get out at the end but it really was a great day. I was spent at the finish, though I was going to topple over when they put that monster medal round my neck :rolleyes:

I wore an old T-shirt at the start to keep warm and chucked it before was started. It hit a boy who was on his Dad's shoulders aquare in the face :lol:

Great times lads, really well done despite the shits and the late heat. A year of 10K's a head of me I feel, maybe try to get my PB down to 45 mins from 50 B)

Hi all.

I took part in my first ever piece of proper running at the Forfar Marafun on Saturday. I only got into it because i was asked by mates from work who were short. It takes the form of each runner doing a 5.2 mile stint as part of a relay.

I wasnt looking forward to it all, considering lack of time to do any training whatsoever, indeed training consisted of playing the usual few games of fives a week and buying a cheap pair of lightweight adidas trainers off of ebay.

However, i managed it in 45 mins, which although pish compared to people who know what theyre doing was a not bad effort. More importantly i really enjoyed it, and want to do more. IE train more, stop smoking (duh) and run some 10ks.

Anyway, having had a quick look through this thread, there are clearly some good and experienced runners frequenting the site. So might i be so bold to ask for some tips re training, exercises etc etc as im obviously new to this lark and would appreciate any advice you chaps can give me.

Thanks in advance!

*Edited for fucking awful spelling

Edited by jupe1407