P&b Running Club

Went out for my first run since the great north run and managed 5k in 29 minutes, can't complain really!

What I did difficult is finding the motivation at this time of year to get out in the cold and run. Anyone have any pointers?

Went out for my first run since the great north run and managed 5k in 29 minutes, can't complain really! What I did difficult is finding the motivation at this time of year to get out in the cold and run. Anyone have any pointers?

Gloves and a race booked for early 2014!

Went out for my first run since the great north run and managed 5k in 29 minutes, can't complain really!

What I did difficult is finding the motivation at this time of year to get out in the cold and run. Anyone have any pointers?

Being better when all the "seasonal runners" come back out in April!

I agree with the Duck. There's nothing like the prospect of a spring race to get you out running in the winter. Find a race and enter it.

New 5k pb again for me yesterday at Vicky parkrun. Likely to be 18 mins 19 secs (may be 18' 18"). Not sure on exact time yet due to faulty scanner at event making half the results unknown. Should be sorted soon hopefully!

You're getting seriously quick Bishy. The rate you're improving it won't be long until you go sub 18 but ultimately how fast do you think you'll get?

Shame about the scanner. All parkrun race directors were sent an e-mail last week warning us that the scanners don't like the cold and wet too much and we were encouraged to try and keep them in pockets as much as possible to prevent them getting too cold/wet. Hopefully they'll get it to work but even if they don't they'll probably add your name & time to the results.

Aye its a total nightmare when it goes pete tong with the equipment. I'd noticed the Victoria results had went a bit screwy.We're quite sheltered at Tollcross, especially where the scanner is, Only had one week where there were issues - for the opposite reason the position the scanner was standing was in bright sunlight and it was a while before we realised why there were problems. D'oh.

^This. Maybe see about getting a cross trainer/treadmill. That way you've always the option to use that if its too cold out, then you only need to go out every now and then.

Another tip is to run with a group. That way you kinda feel obliged to show up.

Recommend any races early next year? Either half or full marathons.

Anyone else on here use Runkeeper?

Yes, I use it.

New 5k pb again for me yesterday at Vicky parkrun. Likely to be 18 mins 19 secs (may be 18' 18"). Not sure on exact time yet due to faulty scanner at event making half the results unknown. Should be sorted soon hopefully!

Aye its a total nightmare when it goes pete tong with the equipment. I'd noticed the Victoria results had went a bit screwy.We're quite sheltered at Tollcross, especially where the scanner is, Only had one week where there were issues - for the opposite reason the position the scanner was standing was in bright sunlight and it was a while before we realised why there were problems. D'oh.

Time finally confirmed as 18:19 - well chuffed with that.

You're getting seriously quick Bishy. The rate you're improving it won't be long until you go sub 18 but ultimately how fast do you think you'll get?

Shame about the scanner. All parkrun race directors were sent an e-mail last week warning us that the scanners don't like the cold and wet too much and we were encouraged to try and keep them in pockets as much as possible to prevent them getting too cold/wet. Hopefully they'll get it to work but even if they don't they'll probably add your name & time to the results.

Yeah been added to results as above.

I am actually nowhere near peak running shape right now - was far fitter during July and August. I did Pollok Park in18:38 during July and that would be around/sub 18 mins at the super fast Victoria Park course - think sub 18 mins is easily doable around there next season. Will get a better indication of where I currently am a week on Saturday as I am running at Pollok for the 5 year anniversary.

Also got a Garmin Forerunner 10 today in an Amazon Lightning deal for £60. This is my first GPS watch and will be interesting to see what difference this makes to my training.

Time finally confirmed as 18:19 - well chuffed with that.

Yeah been added to results as above.

I am actually nowhere near peak running shape right now - was far fitter during July and August. I did Pollok Park in18:38 during July and that would be around/sub 18 mins at the super fast Victoria Park course - think sub 18 mins is easily doable around there next season. Will get a better indication of where I currently am a week on Saturday as I am running at Pollok for the 5 year anniversary.

Also got a Garmin Forerunner 10 today in an Amazon Lightning deal for £60. This is my first GPS watch and will be interesting to see what difference this makes to my training.

Impressive times. Sorry if asked before, but what’s your training normally consist of?

I don’t think I could run without my Garmin watch, although I only really use it to monitor my pace which I find useful as I’m terrible at starting my runs at my intended pace.