P&b Running Club

Right, I've decided that I will run the London Marathon next year.

Now, I'm already a good, solid runner but training for a marathon will result in increasing my distances and training workload rather dramatically.

I've never attempted something like this before, so I'm not entirely sure on how to train for it. Could someone perhaps talk me through some sort of plan on how to prepare my body for such a challenge?

Was that st.andrews. if yes the course was 6.8 miles. I did this in 1 hour 3 mins. So I guess that sets me a base line now.

Organising there was a joke. Took roughly 50 mins to register. People were still registering when race had started.

Overall however a great experience

I did it at South Shields.

Right, I've decided that I will run the London Marathon next year.

Now, I'm already a good, solid runner but training for a marathon will result in increasing my distancea and training workload rather dramatically.

I've never attempted something like this before, so I'm not entirely sure on how to train for it. Could someone perhaps talk me through some sort of plan on how to prepare my body for such a challenge?

I thought about a marathon, but after speaking to those that have did a marathon i decided that I couldn't take a year out of missing certain races or going into them and doing them again by myself straight after. I've thought about a plan and there is several things to do. It is about doing 20 mile races or split runs doing 8 miles in the morning followed by 10 miles at night. It's a commitment. It's also a bitch to get into.

Did 4 x 1km efforts with 4 mins rest this morning, followed by Javelin training. Not that I did much active throwing, more demonstrating. Shoulders are still sore!

I've decided to start taking running seriously rather than just mashing about at it. I've downloaded a free app for my phone and did my first run with it today, round a wee course I have in the streets around my house.

Result

Distance - 3.65km

Time - 20.2 mins

Pace - 5.53km/hr

Calories - 160

I'm going to enter the Black Rock Five with my mate (he'll tank me, he's a serious runner) so am looking to trim down my time for that course before then and start doing some longer distances. I can run from my house down the Union Canal and back to make a 6-7 miler, which I'll aim to start doing in the next few weeks.

Been out 3 times in the last week. Due to road works I've had to change my usual route, so now doing a route that is approximately 6km, as opposed to 5km. It has also added an extra 20 metres to the overall climb, which seems to be making things much more difficult than it should. Averaging around 33:40 for the 6km, which sounds shite when compared to my flat pace, but I have an overall elevation gain of about 90m so I know the pace isn't too horrific. I think.

Made it to my first parkrun in year and a half today at Pollok. Christ it's busier than last time I was there. First wee stretch is a riot with all those folk there

Done next to no running since last time and it showed. - Had to stop a couple of times and could only finish 30th but glad to get back

Pb is 18:53 - think I'm a while off getting back to that level but will take it a bit at a time

New pb at Victoria Park this morning. 17 mins 59 secs according to my watch but my given time was 18 mins 11 secs! Still a 5k pb, but have asked them to check the backup timer to see if I actually went sub 18 mins or not.

Ended up getting 20 minutes bang on today. Pleasantly surprised because I thought it would be higher but kinda annoyed now at stopping so much because I could've possibly challenged my pb otherwise

Confident now though that if I keep it up though I can get back to that level. Keen to give Victoria Park a go for a change as well

Did the angus half today. First race getting ready for the Loch Ness marathon in september.

Set myself the target of sub 1:50 and finished in 1:48 which is a PB. Was pretty pleased given the second half of the run has some nasty hills.

Anyone else done the Loch Ness? Anything to watch out for?

New pb at Victoria Park this morning. 17 mins 59 secs according to my watch but my given time was 18 mins 11 secs! Still a 5k pb, but have asked them to check the backup timer to see if I actually went sub 18 mins or not.

Results now updated - officially a sub 18 mins 5k for the first time - 17 mins 59 secs! Delighted with that. Turns out there was an error and everyone was one place out of sequence!

Did the angus half today. First race getting ready for the Loch Ness marathon in september.

Set myself the target of sub 1:50 and finished in 1:48 which is a PB. Was pretty pleased given the second half of the run has some nasty hills.

Well done mate - always great when you beat your target by a good amount!

Cheers - it's even more pleasing as I know I have a stone or more of weight to lose and with a bit more stamina from the longer training runs coming up as well I should be able to cut some more big chunks off that time.

Would love to run a sub 20 min 5k but just don't think I'm made for speed!

Would love to run a sub 20 min 5k but just don't think I'm made for speed!

Not necessarily mate. Speed can be developed. I never thought I would be capable of the times I am running now three years ago when I was doing 5k in 21-22 mins. Core training is a big part of the key imo - although it utterly sucks!

My run home from work is just over 7km and I did it 30 seconds quicker today than I did on Friday night.

For training purposes I'm going to stick to three basic runs - my 7km run home from work, a 3.5km run around the streets near my house and a 7km run along the Union Canal path and back. I'm going to try and get out at least four times a week for the next month or so and see how my times do.

Do the experienced runners think this sounds a good approach?

My run home from work is just over 7km and I did it 30 seconds quicker today than I did on Friday night.

For training purposes I'm going to stick to three basic runs - my 7km run home from work, a 3.5km run around the streets near my house and a 7km run along the Union Canal path and back. I'm going to try and get out at least four times a week for the next month or so and see how my times do.

Do the experienced runners think this sounds a good approach?

Yes.

Not necessarily mate. Speed can be developed. I never thought I would be capable of the times I am running now three years ago when I was doing 5k in 21-22 mins. Core training is a big part of the key imo - although it utterly sucks!

Congrats on the sub-18min 5k. What does your core training consist of?

Going to be strict on diet, adding core work, and more sensible training (more speedwork and hills mainly) leading up to the Edinburgh marathon. I think purely running on a diet of cream eggs (slight exaggeration, but sadly not far off the truth) ain't giving my the goals I desire.