P&b Running Club

I've managed to get back to going to the gym since I got here.

Averaging 30 mins on the treadmill mixing laps of 7 pace and laps of 15.

Doing this every second day and wearing a body armour top under my own one which makes me sweat even more.

I've lost around a stone in a month and still going, hoping to sign up for boot camp next month which involves 4 sessions of an hour per week down on the sand dunes.

If I can shift another stone between the gym and the boot camp I'll be ------- delighted.

I can already feel the difference.

How do you feel the body armour is working for you? Is sweating more making you shift weight quicker?

How do you feel the body armour is working for you? Is sweating more making you shift weight quicker?

I fucking love it, it's a bugger as the sweat is running down the cheeks but it makes me work harder and get my breathing right.

I'm using it more as a build-up to running outside here where the temperature will be something ridiculous and the humidity not very good either.

I reckon it's helping me shift the weight, when I was home there the other week the family were commenting on the difference in even the 2 weeks since they'd been out to visit.

I ------- love it, it's a bugger as the sweat is running down the cheeks but it makes me work harder and get my breathing right.

I'm using it more as a build-up to running outside here where the temperature will be something ridiculous and the humidity not very good either.

I reckon it's helping me shift the weight, when I was home there the other week the family were commenting on the difference in even the 2 weeks since they'd been out to visit.

Nice one. Might have to look into that. Currently I wear a cycling top beneath my t-shirt whenever I'm out running which I find works alright.

I'm now up to 5k regularly, and (fingers crossed) my ankle's been holding up pretty well after a few knocks over the past couple of months. Aiming for between 50-55 minutes for the Stirling 10k next month, currently doing 5k in about 28 minutes so a bit more training should see me break 55 minutes comfortably.

Nice one. Might have to look into that. Currently I wear a cycling top beneath my t-shirt whenever I'm out running which I find works alright.

I'm now up to 5k regularly, and (fingers crossed) my ankle's been holding up pretty well after a few knocks over the past couple of months. Aiming for between 50-55 minutes for the Stirling 10k next month, currently doing 5k in about 28 minutes so a bit more training should see me break 55 minutes comfortably.

I have actually found since adding the distance/stamina that I can go so much quicker and comfortable at 5k distance. As you start adding the miles you should see your time come down

I have actually found since adding the distance/stamina that I can go so much quicker and comfortable at 5k distance. As you start adding the miles you should see your time come down

Yeah I'm building up gradually. Planning on going out for a 6k or 7k tonight I think, and by the end of next week be looking to do a 10k in preparation.

I've put absolutely no targets on distance and or time, merely trying to get back into it and use it as a build up to running outside and ultimately boot camp.

Once I've done that I'll probably get more detailed and actually set some targets.

I was looking at some of the world records for the longer distances and times have been done is really unbelievable. My first ever 5k was only a couple of minutes faster than the world record for the 10k.

Captain - your times certainly give me hope - I am confident that a sub 50 min 10k on saturday is possible but would like it to be nearer the 45 min mark and ultimately I would love to be getting a sub 40 minute 10k (if that is only 3 years away - I would be over the moon).

My best tip is to find a group to run with or join a running club. I ran the Paisley 10k in 43:30 and the Glasgow HM in 1:46 2 years ago. I then started running with some fast guys in my work at lunchtime. I improved no end and the key was interval training.

Within 12 months ran the Paisley 10k in 39:10, the Glasgow HM in 1:27 and the Edinburgh Marathon in 3:17. A further 12 months on from that and I'm running 10ks in 37 mins and HMs in 1:24.... and still getting better.

As I said, the key is interval training. Its not something you can do on your own IMO, you need to join a group in order to be competitive and push yourself. You run at speeds that make you feel sick and you can't drop out because you don't want to feel daft. And before you know it, you're able to race at fast speeds.

My best tip is to find a group to run with or join a running club. I ran the Paisley 10k in 43:30 and the Glasgow HM in 1:46 2 years ago. I then started running with some fast guys in my work at lunchtime. I improved no end and the key was interval training.

Within 12 months ran the Paisley 10k in 39:10, the Glasgow HM in 1:27 and the Edinburgh Marathon in 3:17. A further 12 months on from that and I'm running 10ks in 37 mins and HMs in 1:24.... and still getting better.

As I said, the key is interval training. Its not something you can do on your own IMO, you need to join a group in order to be competitive and push yourself. You run at speeds that make you feel sick and you can't drop out because you don't want to feel daft. And before you know it, you're able to race at fast speeds.

I have tried the interval training on my own and have seen some improvements but I feel that I am very one paced. I have also tried tempo runs but after an initial spurt I find that I drop back down to my starting pace. I have stayed away from joining a running club as I enjoy running by myself but it is maybe worth looking into - it had never occurred to me that it might be the cure to my plodding pace.

Chingford won't be happy.

They've changed the route of the Paisley 10k this year and it doesn't go by St. Mirren's new ground! Obviously the building works have put paid to that this year. They've added an extra bit along and back on Linwood Road by Asda.

You will be able to see the new stadium however as the race still goes up Greenhill Road - just not past the stadium.

Chingford won't be happy.

They've changed the route of the Paisley 10k this year and it doesn't go by St. Mirren's new ground! Obviously the building works have put paid to that this year. They've added an extra bit along and back on Linwood Road by Asda.

You will be able to see the new stadium however as the race still goes up Greenhill Road - just not past the stadium.

Is it this Sunday? I promised my pal I'd go up to Barskivine and cheer her on :unsure: