P&b Running Club

Who all is doing Edinburgh this weekend then? I gave and signed up to do Kirkcudbright half marathon, which is on Saturday. I tested running 13 miles or so a few weeks ago and was able to do it - did 10 and 11 last week and it was no problem either, just a bit flatter than what Saturday will be.

The thing I'm panicking about now is what to have for breakfast as there seems to be tons of various suggestions online. When I did my runs last weekend I went out before breakfast and didn't have any problems and I hadn't anything particularly special the night before. The race starts at one so I was thinking of just having some cereal and toast around 10 before I head off, maybe take a banana to have about 12ish and some jellybabies for the run.

I've never bothered about what and when to eat before running whatever time or distance and I've not had any issues so don't know why I'm fretting about it so much!

Doing Edinburgh. Wheatabix for breakfast, flapjack and soreen loaf at intervals up to run you're fretting due to nerves, likely have at least three shits before race Edited by marty_j

Do not, repeat not, eat a banana, unless you fancy thinking you're going to shit yourself the whole way round.

But I've already bought a banana. Don't even like the things :(

I normally have a banana and am OK.  The early start is a bit of a pisser, 8am for the half marathon!  I will have to get up at about 5:30 to eat my porridge and do all my movements (ahem).

I'm looking forward to it though.

My son ran 33.40 at the Dumbarton 10k tonight.

35 secs knocked off his PB which he only ran last week.

Onwards and upwards. Hopefully he can get into the 31s by the time he hits 20 and he can start seriously competing to win big races.

Dangerous age mind you. Burdz and booze could knock him off course at any point onwards...

Edinburgh Half Marathon this weekend. No idea what he will run. Sub 1.15 at least.

Running the 5k on Saturday myself, up against my brother. It's got a big hill in it but targets are sub 20, top 10 overall, first vet 45 and, most importantly, trash my brother.

Thanks mate. Na not doing Dumbarton tonight, only doing Clydebank of the Polaroids this year. Am going to 3k on the Green tomorrow though and the weather looks reasonable for a change - so hopefully a quick time will be achieved!

Think I ran past you on Wednesday evening running along the Clyde... I believe there is a running group meets at the squinty bridge? Is it free to anyone? I work in the Skypark these days so it would be quite handy for me. 

Think I ran past you on Wednesday evening running along the Clyde... I believe there is a running group meets at the squinty bridge? Is it free to anyone? I work in the Skypark these days so it would be quite handy for me.

There is a run that starts on a Wed at 6.30pm at the squiggly bridge (the Tradeston bridge) go to www.greatrunlocal.org to register and they will send you a timing band. You can do the 2k or the 5k - the people are absolutely lovely, everyone's really friendly and the route is pretty flat.

ETA: Please don't get the "squinty" and "squiggly" bridges mixed up lol - I did that the first week and went to the wrong bridge and ended up just standing on a street corner by myself. As you do... :)

Edited by Redhead81

There is a run that starts on a Wed at 6.30pm at the squiggly bridge (the Tradeston bridge) go to www.greatrunlocal.org to register and they will send you a timing band. You can do the 2k or the 5k - the people are absolutely lovely, everyone's really friendly and the route is pretty flat.

ETA: Please don't get the "squinty" and "squiggly" bridges mixed up lol - I did that the first week and went to the wrong bridge and ended up just standing on a street corner by myself. As you do... :)

That's great thanks! Apologies for the bridge mix-up. I knew what I meant anyway! 

Signed up but assuming my timing band doesn't turn up, I take it they won't mind me joining in regardless?

That's great thanks! Apologies for the bridge mix-up. I knew what I meant anyway!

Signed up but assuming my timing band doesn't turn up, I take it they won't mind me joining in regardless?

Yip, you can turn up and run - just means you won't get a "time" on the website - the bands generally come in a few days tho so hopefully will be with you soon. Come up and say hi if you come along, I am very easy to spot as I have fairly bright red hair but more crucially I'm always at the back (by a considerable distance! Lol)

Pretty much made up my mind to go for the Stirling Marathon in May 2017. Cracking looking course.

I'm considering it. Will probably be determined by whether I want to do another one after Dublin in October! Hopefully it's the kick up the arse the Edinburgh marathon needs to put up a course that's actually in the city.

Edinburgh half for me on Sunday, looking forward to having a go at my PB of 1:32:11 with an optimistic push for sub 1:30 if it goes really well!

Running Edinburgh on Sunday. So I was going to take the Dumbarton 10k easy last night, but to be honest I haven't done enough long runs to get a good time on Sunday anyway, so about 10mins before the race I decided to go for a PB! Ran it in 39.21, taking almost a minute off of my PB (last weeks 40.18 at Clydebank).

Legs are sore today, so just going to hope that I enjoy it on Sunday and get round :)

Will do! Hopefully there won't be more than one redhead there!

Never heard of that running club before. Looks a bit like parkrun, but they're sending out free things and not asking for any money. How nice.

Yeah it is just like parkrun, but more for beginners. We get far less elite guys than parkrun does, which suits me as we run it for newer runners and they get put off if they are getting thrashed by the elite guys and gals.

I am part of the core team there and am normally pacing 25 minutes. Feel free to come along on Wednesday even if your timing band has not arrived yet.