P&b Running Club

Worst thing about that is where most people share their location at the start of their run...at their house

I always aim to start a bit away from the house for that exact reason. [emoji23]

Very rarely finish at the house too. I like a walk home to calm down a bit.

Guest bernardblack

I always aim to start a bit away from the house for that exact reason. [emoji23]

Very rarely finish at the house too. I like a walk home to calm down a bit.

Same here [emoji23] Far too security conscious!

Said to myself back on the 9th July that I'd reach 23:00 by the end of the month, despite my previous PB being around 23:45. 

Today morning I managed 23:04, absolutely delighted to have shaved off so much time in a couple of weeks where my diet hasn't been great but the speed training has helped.

Absolutely focused now on getting under that by Friday.

On hols last week and did a flat out 30 min swim each day and a 5 or 10k run each day plus walking about the same distance with the dog. 

Back home now and done fek all except eat pizza and donuts for the last few days. Doing holidays wrong.

Struggling to find the time at the moment. Managed just over 12k in 1:10 the other night, decided to drop the pace a little and add some distance, but that the only time I have been out in the last week.

On 28/07/2020 at 15:25, Ross. said:

Struggling to find the time at the moment. Managed just over 12k in 1:10 the other night, decided to drop the pace a little and add some distance, but that the only time I have been out in the last week.

Found some time last night. 12.5k in 1:13 last night. Went out just before 8pm and it was still 28c. Temperature had dropped to a chilly 24c by the time I got home. I feel absolutely fucked this morning.

Did some light jogging then tried to thrash out a short 2k for something different and eventually bring down my 5 and 10k times. Did it in 8.53 which I'm quick happy with, considering I've been plodding along until recently at around 25-27minutes for a 5k. 

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

Found some time last night. 12.5k in 1:13 last night. Went out just before 8pm and it was still 28c. Temperature had dropped to a chilly 24c by the time I got home. I feel absolutely fucked this morning.

Absolutely love running in the heat. Shame we get so few opportunities here. Moving to Fife soon so will see what the climate is like there. Trained at a gym for a couple of years where it was banned to open the windows and the heating was always on. Once you got used to it then it felt like getting a spa treatment as it was like getting your lungs steam cleaned and your pores flushed out. 

I can't run when it's over 20C. Similarly, I've run several foreign parkruns in sub-zero conditions with just a t-shirt and shorts. Obviously, I'm baltic at the start, but any more layers and I'd overheat during the run. 

I think your take home message here is that I'm hot stuff. 

I always feel the goldylocks running temperature to be somewhere between 14 and 18 degrees, with no b*****d wind. When I'm out in the mornings during the summer I normally get between 16 and 20 which is fine. Tomorrow morning I really want to break 23:00 for my 5k and it's meant to be around 20. It'll be 35 by the time 5pm comes along, absolutely NO danger I'll be out in that. 

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Absolutely love running in the heat. Shame we get so few opportunities here. Moving to Fife soon so will see what the climate is like there. Trained at a gym for a couple of years where it was banned to open the windows and the heating was always on. Once you got used to it then it felt like getting a spa treatment as it was like getting your lungs steam cleaned and your pores flushed out. 

Rough estimate that I lost about 1kg during that run last night. I weighed myself after my run on Saturday night and was 78.9kg, weight after last nights run was 77.9kg. Drunk a pint of water around 30 minutes before, and another pint as soon as I got home. I have also drunk 4 cups of tea, 1 300ml bottle of juice and 1 750ml bottle of water in work today. Still feel dehydrated.

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I can't run when it's over 20C. Similarly, I've run several foreign parkruns in sub-zero conditions with just a t-shirt and shorts. Obviously, I'm baltic at the start, but any more layers and I'd overheat during the run. 

I think your take home message here is that I'm hot stuff. 

I struggle badly. Really need to drop my pace to keep going. Like you, I don't mind when it is freezing, but the heat can get in the bin. Forcing myself to put up with it now because I simply don't have any other time available.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

I always feel the goldylocks running temperature to be somewhere between 14 and 18 degrees, with no b*****d wind. When I'm out in the mornings during the summer I normally get between 16 and 20 which is fine. Tomorrow morning I really want to break 23:00 for my 5k and it's meant to be around 20. It'll be 35 by the time 5pm comes along, absolutely NO danger I'll be out in that. 

Ideal temperature for me is in the 8-12c range. My only hope is that by forcing myself out as it is now, I will get the benefits in October/November when it cools a bit and I can maybe hammer in some much faster times as a result.

f**k, well I didn't break my target for going under 23:00 by the end of July. Legs just felt a bit heavy throughout and was a bit of a struggle. Still, this little target has seen me post a PB, come extremely close to going under 23 minutes and generally get me running at a little faster pace. If I'm not posting a time under 23 by end of August something's wrong. 

Garmin seems to be syncing to Strava again, which is good. For the last week I've been recording on my phone at the same time which isn't ideal - there was a .3mile difference over one of my long runs.

There used to be a privacy setting on Strava that it didn't show on the map any running within a mile of your home - although I guess you had to give it your home address so it could block it out, meaning the hackers could still get the info.

First long-ish run since being diagnosed with Lyme Disease. 10k in just under 53 minutes.

Not fast, and not pretty, but important so that I have it mentally that I can still do that distance.

Because I've been running 5ks for so long I went out on this one far too fast and had to slow right down at the end.

29 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Good work Gaz. I don't know how tough Lyme disease hits anyone but for a first long run in a while that's good going.

Cheers! I have good days and bad days. Some days I feel absolutely fine. Some days I can be fine but then get overwhelmed by tiredness / exhaustion.

I'm still on my antibiotics and hoping that when those are finished they caught it / treated it early enough that I should be pretty much symptom-free.

How did you end up with it? Tic bite?

Was planning a run this evening but it was over 30c right up until sunset. Expecting thunderstorms tomorrow so hopefully that will cool things down for a few days.

55 minutes ago, Ross. said:

How did you end up with it? Tic bite?

Was planning a run this evening but it was over 30c right up until sunset. Expecting thunderstorms tomorrow so hopefully that will cool things down for a few days.

Aye. I felt a bite a few weeks ago running in the trails at the back of the hospital in Larbert. Didn't think much of it at the time, just brushed it off. Came up in a massive bump but I thought it was just a cleg bite, it was a week later that my wife noticed it wasn't getting better and it had the bullseye target pattern. Phoned the doc and I'm on doxycycline.