P&b Running Club

Anyone recommend a decent watch that can link to Strava but will better record the distance I have covered? Out again this morning and Strava seems to have missed around 10-15% of the distance I covered. The route I do is the same each time but the recording varies from 4.65k to 5.4k depending on how Strava feels on any given day. Starting to really annoy me, mostly because it’s the second time now it has happened when I have absolutely battered the run but can’t really confirm my overall pace as a result.

7.5k in 45 minutes, much more pleasant conditions than Thursday!

8k in 40 minutes today. Didn’t feel like I was going much faster tbh but guess I wasn’t. Finished on a b*****d of a hill though so I’ll still be getting my breath back well in to next week.

5 hours ago, Ross. said:

Anyone recommend a decent watch that can link to Strava but will better record the distance I have covered? Out again this morning and Strava seems to have missed around 10-15% of the distance I covered. The route I do is the same each time but the recording varies from 4.65k to 5.4k depending on how Strava feels on any given day. Starting to really annoy me, mostly because it’s the second time now it has happened when I have absolutely battered the run but can’t really confirm my overall pace as a result.

What's your budget?

I bit the bullet a few weeks ago and ordered a Garmin Forerunner 245. Loving it so far. Pricey, though - it was £270.

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

What's your budget?

I bit the bullet a few weeks ago and ordered a Garmin Forerunner 245. Loving it so far. Pricey, though - it was £270.

Looking at anything up to around that price. The 735XT works out around the 200 quid mark at the current exchange rate. Will see if I can find anywhere selling the 245 and what they charge for it here.

ETA: The 245 I can find for around 240 quid or so. Comparing the spec and reviews on both I’m not sure it would be worth paying the extra. I wouldn’t be using it other than when I am out running and some of the features on the 735 look like they would probably be handy for improving my times.

Edited by Ross.

14 hours ago, Ross. said:

Anything Garmin. If just running, get a forerunner. If you play golf, cycle or swim then get a vivoactive.

My Garmin is coming up 5 years old now (on my second one), think I'll be upgrading it towards the end of this year.

I upload everything to the Garmin app, which is linked to automatically chuck it over to Strava as well.

Rested on Monday and struggled yesterday, 7k in 40 minutes but it was a real tool. Back out today and 8.8k in 50 minutes. Feel a lot better after today’s run than I did yesterday’s.

On 28/06/2020 at 08:21, Ross. said:

I got a Garmin vivoactive HR a few years ago and it does me fine but all I'm really worried about is speed, distance and time and a few other bits and bobs. I'm sure it could tell me lots of other stuff but I really couldn't care about that!

Is anyone else unbelievably clumsy when running? The other week I whacked my leg off a metal railing, this morning I battered my elbow off a wheelie bin. It's not even as if I was trying to get out of someone's way for social distancing!

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

I got a Garmin vivoactive HR a few years ago and it does me fine but all I'm really worried about is speed, distance and time and a few other bits and bobs. I'm sure it could tell me lots of other stuff but I really couldn't care about that!

Is anyone else unbelievably clumsy when running? The other week I whacked my leg off a metal railing, this morning I battered my elbow off a wheelie bin. It's not even as if I was trying to get out of someone's way for social distancing!

Yeah, I'm not looking for anything overly complicated, but the one I have seen looks like it will cover me for running, and the very odd occasion these days when I get out on the bike.

Done absolutely f**k all this week. Returned to the office last week and struggled a bit to make time for myself. Starting early this week which means I can't go for a run before I leave for work(Would need to get up at 4:30am and I am fucked if I am doing that) and it is too hot in the evenings to go out after(25c at 8:30pm last night). Will make sure I get out on Saturday morning at least and hopefully next week manage a few pre work runs as I am on at my normal starting time again.

Found out this morning that there is an athletics club not far from my work who let the public use their facilities during the day. Only problem is they are relaying their fucking track at the moment. Will maybe bring my running gear into work and then take an hour out a few times a week to go and use the track. At least doing that I can have a shower afterwards and won't be in the office looking too sweaty...

First 10km today and in 53 mins so pretty chuffed. Absolutely soaked and my feet resemble [mention=11914]Shandon Par[/mention] 's

Couldn’t be bothered going for a run today, done Friday & Saturday and cut the grass this morning instead, this has made me decide to! If my feet resemble Shandon’s afterwards I’ll be using them to boot your pie.

Out yesterday morning for the first time in a week. Bit of a plod but done 10k in around 54 minutes. Legs were like lead for most of it, driving 100 miles a day between home and office definitely having an impact. Managed it all the same. Will hopefully find it easier to fit a few runs in next week as I don’t have to start at 7:30am so can go out before I leave for work.

Couldn’t be bothered going for a run today, done Friday & Saturday and cut the grass this morning instead, this has made me decide to! If my feet resemble Shandon’s afterwards I’ll be using them to boot your pie.

7k in 40 minutes, which I felt I was taking it easy for most the part. Weather was nice though, warm but not roasting, windy but not a gale, 2 tshirts and a jumper made sure I got a sweat on

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Nice! I tumble dried my trainers the other day and must have melted something inside them:

15566E62-5CED-4918-BB91-F3B7B0584E7B.jpeg

The skin on the arch of my feet decided it would rather detach, I blame soaked socks and shoes.

1 hour ago, NJ2 said:

As I'm unbooted I assume you made it round in the dry

As I'm unbooted I assume you made it round in the dry

Yeah, weather was spot on tbh. Clouded over now that I’m sat out the back with a 0% lager though obviously. (Yep, still off the drink @Shandon Par 15 weeks on Friday there)

So this is the plan I'm following in trying to get my 5k time under 22 minutes (regularly, not just as a one-off): clicky.

A nice easy 30 minutes yesterday in which I managed 6.31km, and then today was 3 1km sprints at a 4:23 pace, with 1:30 recovery in between, and a 500m warmup / cooldown. Did laps around FVRH.

Ended up doing 4.9km in 22:20. Very happy with that considering how strong the wind was this afternoon. Made me think that if I was to go out and absolutely gun it I could beat 22, but I'm being patient.

Also just got my squat / bench / deadlift up to 775.5lbs in my elusive quest to enter the 1,000 club. Hopefully get above 800 by the end of the summer.