The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Really depends on how badly India want a win imo. They weren't exactly going after the bowling today, but that could change tomorrow if they don't lose early wickets. They would really need to get to about 175-200 in front to put any pressure on England.

Close but not quite for Pakistan, Smith's declaration turned out to be a bit more sporting than he thought. :blink:

Meanwhile back in Chennai India have taken the lead and look to be pushing the score along - batting to come for India and to state the bleedin' obvious it could be a tricky final session for England out there after a long, long time spent in the field.

Yes - India 666/6 even as I type! :thumsup2

On a more serious note - if/when England are put in before close of play (12 overs currently left taking off 2 for the Innings changeover) and a coupla wickets fall Buttler should come in ahead of Ali, Bairstow or Stokes.

Edited by btb

4 minutes ago, dogmc said:

This lad Karun is destroying England. Thought India would declare when they hit 700 but looks like they might let him have a crack at a triple.

Yeah I think Kohli is more interested in letting him get a triple century than winning the current Test - might turn out to be a let off for England.

Yeah I think Kohli is more interested in letting him get a triple century than winning the current Test - might turn out to be a let off for England.

Think they'll declare soon as he gets triple n looking at how gubbed England are wouldn't be surprised if 2 or 3 wickets fall.

FFS - Jadeja out with Nair on 299 and 1 ball left in the over which Nair will face as the batsmen crossed! :wacko:

Edit - No run! One less over for England tonight.

Editx2 - That's the triple :clapping and the declaration leaving England with 5 overs to face tonight.

England must be feeling demoralized after posting a decent First Innings total but the Test is still saveable if they bat well.

Edited by btb

Feel England should try to bat positively tomorrow. They're 269 behind and although that will take them most of the day, maybe all of it on a fifth day pitch, I reckon they've more chance of getting a draw if they play a few shots rather than just occupying the crease.

Edited by btb

Big day tomorrow for England. Secure a draw and a 3-0 defeat away from home and on pitches prepared to suit India is not a disgrace but lose and the positives will be less easy to find.

Cast your mind back to India's 2014 Tour of England - they drew the First Test, won the Second at Lords (the last neutrally prepared pitch in the world!) and lost the last three by increasing margins on pitches designed for English seamers (although IIRC Ali had a good series as good as any of the Indian spinners :wacko: trusting to memory here so don't slate me too hard if I'm wrong).

For me this is a fairly similar scenario, where the touring side was sussed and eventually worn down in unfamiliar conditions.

A draw would be a bit of consolation for England. They'd feel slightly better.But even if they lose I don't foresee major changes. Cook will only stop being captain at this stage if he personally has had enough of it.There won't be huge alterations to the team. I'd expect both Hameed and Jennings to play, barring unforeseen circumstances. They'd like Wood fit to have a bit more pace available.Also there won't be the same need for spinners back in England or in Australia as there has been in India.