The Cricket Thread

bewlay

The "prepared pitches" argument wears pretty thin tbh. Luckily it only usually sees the light of day when England are bitch-slapped in the sub-continent.

Aussies like a moan too when they lose. I can see why there is some concern.....test cricket is fighting for its life n test series where the home sides always win doesnt make for much drama. Think the idea of doing away with the toss n letting away side choose whether to bat or bowl has some mileage. Also about time there was a test match tourney. Been talked about for years with noone really getting some momentum behind it.

New ball available in an over and a bit.

Sixteen Candles overs to go and three wickets left.

My mistake, India will bowl more than the minimum requirements, that's why it's important to keep the scoreboard ticking over - it eats up time.

New ball taken and Rashid's out even as I type, I suppose it eats up a few minutes, though not in a good way for England. Broad used to have aspirations to be a proper all rounder - can he turn the clock black and save England?

Last man in...............

Last man out - ouch!

Edited by btb

Of all England's last innings bottle jobs, that has to up there with the worst. To make 477 and suffers an innings defeat is utterly laughable.

Moeen's shot though. Fucking hell.

Am I right in thinking that's the highest 1st innings score for a loss by over an innings. Horrid way to end a tough tour. The England team looked mentally n physically shot yesterday. Something needs to give in playing schedules. The guys that are in the one day squad as well as test one must be knackered

Am I right in thinking that's the highest 1st innings score for a loss by over an innings. Horrid way to end a tough tour. The England team looked mentally n physically shot yesterday. Something needs to give in playing schedules. The guys that are in the one day squad as well as test one must be knackered

Yeah it is. India's massive first innings was also a record total conceded by England.

I expected them to easily see out the final day on a fairly straightforward pitch. However it's a total bottle job to end a few weeks of absolute schooling.

Any shouts for KP to get back in yet? [emoji23]

No doubt some will want kp back but he would have been an early contender for a daft shot. Was always a selfish player hence him falling out with every dressing room he was in. England aren't really that far away it's just noone copes well in India. Similarly India are meh away from home

Went to bed with 7 wickets down and well over an hour to play, wasn't surprised to see they couldn't see it out. The writing was on the wall as soon as Moeen and Stokes went in quick succesion, quite what Moeen was thinking who knows, dreadful shot given the match situation. I don't think England need wholesale changes, most teams get pumped in India, but they had also been unconvincing in Bangladesh. A few players have done their long term chances no harm, Hameed and Jennings both looked very capable in spells and in more suitable conditions at home could flourish, but it's a long wait until the next Test series now. The biggest worry from today was quite how they managed to lose all 10 wickets for just over 100 runs on a pitch that wasn't doing a great deal at all.

Sky reporting leach wasn't consider to worries over his action. Would like to see root bowling bit more as an option. Also think cook should stay til after the ashes. They look to have some decent top order options just need to find the right blend.

Aftertiming I know but backed India at 2/1 yesterday, if that was a 4 game series without Bangladesh first and the score was 1-0 to India I think England would have batted it out comfortably but to use some p&b parlance, their heads were gone after 7 matches and several humpings.

Think only really Hameed and Jennings enhanced their claims, top 6 for the summer unless I’ve missed something obvious could be

Hameed

Cook

Jennings (the old 3 opener approach)

Root (Seems to prefer 4 even though I’m a fan of having your best bat at 3)

Bairstow (wk)

Stokes

With Ali at 7/8, Broad, Anderson, and 2 more quicks.

Re: Cook, probably worth considering is that he’s undroppable when he’s captain barring absolute disasters, but as soon as he gives it up and performances start to dip then it’s a lot easier for him to be eased out, particularly if it’s off the back of a shafting in Oz in a year’s time. I think he’ll stay on for another year- who do England have in the summer? SA?

Concentrating heavily on the ODI game for most of the year, Test wise they have a 4 match series against South Africa starting on July 6th followed by a 3 match series against the West Indies from mid August. Gives Cook 6 months to get his head back in the right place.

Actually you could play another batsman and drop Bairstow to 6, Stokes 7, Ali 8,. Anderson / Broad / Stokes / AN other (Ball/Wood/Finn/Woakes/Footitt etc) should be enough in English conditions although having about 7 bowlers didn't help much in India.

That West Indies series is going to be absolute dugshite, assume they scheduled it so it clashed with as few T20 leagues as possible?

Actually you could play another batsman and drop Bairstow to 6, Stokes 7, Ali 8,. Anderson / Broad / Stokes / AN other (Ball/Wood/Finn/Woakes/Footitt etc) should be enough in English conditions although having about 7 bowlers didn't help much in India.
That West Indies series is going to be absolute dugshite, assume they scheduled it so it clashed with as few T20 leagues as possible?

I'd have Stokes 6, Bairstow 7, Moeen 8, Woakes 9, Broad 10 and whomever 11 and revert back to the insanely long batting lineup.

The most comprehensive series scudding England have taken since the Ashes 06/7. Never replaced Swann and it really shows. The spin bowling was really nowhere near good enough for test matches on the sub continent. The batting was just about good enough but chasing a team setting 750+ and you have no hope.

The bowling attack will be far more capable back home against South Africa but that young Rabada seems a little bit quick.  41 test wickets at just under an average of 23 runs per wicket. And he is not yet 22 years old.