The Cricket Thread

bewlay

4 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Aye anybody being left out for Jennings is a dreadful decision.

My memory isn't great but I can only remember Foakes scoring handy runs and keeping solidly. All seams a bit strange.

Foakes didn’t really warrant being dropped, certainly compared to others that have had prolonged runs in the side. His keeping is clearly the best too.

That game was Jennings’ last IIRC, the one where he was out about 8 times in one innings. If you ever have time, listen to Bob Willis’ (RIP) verdict of it.

1 minute ago, Sir Tarmo Kink said:

Foakes didn’t really warrant being dropped, certainly compared to others that have had prolonged runs in the side. His keeping is clearly the best too.

That game was Jennings’ last IIRC, the one where he was out about 8 times in one innings. If you ever have time, listen to Bob Willis’ (RIP) verdict of it.

Yeah Bob wasn't a fan I don't think. Remember Mark Butcher saying watching Jennings bat was like watching C3PO trying to breakdance!

Shouldn't be too surprised that spin is making all the difference. They mentioned yesterday that Maharaj was getting 5° of turn on day 1, the biggest margin on a day 1 pitch in SA since they started keeping records of it when ball tracking came in.

Last England spinner to dismiss the top 3 in the batting order?

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Shouldn't be too surprised that spin is making all the difference. They mentioned yesterday that Maharaj was getting 5° of turn on day 1, the biggest margin on a day 1 pitch in SA since they started keeping records of it when ball tracking came in.

Last England spinner to dismiss the top 3 in the betting order?

I'm going to guess Graeme Swan?

33 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Thinking ahead, I wouldn't enforce the follow on here if it's an option. Wouldn't want to be batting last on a pitch that's turning like this already

Depends on the lead, for me. If South Africa are bowled out today for under 220 then I'd tell them to go again, particularly with the prospect of rain ahead.

Depends on the lead, for me. If South Africa are bowled out today for under 220 then I'd tell them to go again, particularly with the prospect of rain ahead.
I'd agree, if England can bowl them out and still have a lead of around 250, they probably won't have to bat again.

Only caught a little bit of the highlights from yesterday, luckily it was when Pope and Wood were biffing everything into oblivion. Bess bowling well, happy to see that as I just can’t take to Jack Leach.

Thing is Leach will be on the next tour unless he’s ill. Last time in Sri Lanka England started with 3 spinners.

Thinking ahead, I wouldn't enforce the follow on here if it's an option. Wouldn't want to be batting last on a pitch that's turning like this already

I think the weather might force their hand. Might not be time for England to bat twice.