The Cricket Thread

bewlay

15 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

England get a lead anything approaching 100 and the game is very much theirs for the taking. This is probably the most crucial part of the test as when either of these two go I don't see England adding a lot to the total

I think the next 3 are all capable of adding a quick 30-40 each. Ideally, this 2 take England in to a lead of 50+, and then the remaining guys can come in with the freedom to play as they usually would.

And as I type that, Moeen goes. Could do with Curran playing a similar innings to Moeen here, hang about, build the partnership.

Root's knock has shifted the pressure entirely on to India now. Difficult for them to win from here as it would likely involve bowling England out in no more than 2 and a bit sessions, but they could easily shite this and end up cheaply skittled themselves.

Anderson bowled by the last ball of the day, Root left at the other end not out for 180, another superb innings from the captain. England with a slim lead of 27, a big morning tomorrow. Early wickets and England can get well on top, India themselves will probably need to be aggressive at some point if they are to force a chance to win.

On 13/08/2021 at 19:17, Tynierose said:

As is the normal if India get Root early its goodnight.   If Root is still around by tea then England have had a great day and a couple of them will make 30 or 40 while he gets around 150.

Well not too far our with that tea time projection.

Roots performances over the last 12 months have been outrageous.

Stats include today, this is the current top 10 test match run scorers in 2021. No one even close.
Screenshot_20210814-214353.jpg.4337d2bb7278fd37f985462cc54b3640.jpg
I remember at the start of the year posting about him scoring 2000 test runs in the calendar year and it did sound a bit absurd, but he is still well on course for it.

26 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Probably England’s greatest ever batsman.  

That’s a bold claim.  Even in the last few years Pieterson and Cook would be in that discussion before you get to the previous generations.

I’m a huge fan of Root and my family is full of professional Yorkshiremen but it’s too early to be making that statement.

20 minutes ago, Left Back said:

That’s a bold claim.  Even in the last few years Pieterson and Cook would be in that discussion before you get to the previous generations.

I’m a huge fan of Root and my family is full of professional Yorkshiremen but it’s too early to be making that statement.

He's certainly in the top ten, where is arguable.  Next 3 or 4 years if he continues to convert 50s into tons he can be top 3

Kp, Root, Cook, Gooch, Hutton, Boycott, Barrington, Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Hammond  That list is not in any order.

Criteria must have played 50 tests.

Edited by Tynierose
Forgot Hammond doh

Probably England’s greatest ever batsman.  
Between Cook and Root imo. Pietersen was brilliant to watch but too often tossed his wicket away in pursuit of personal glory instead of knuckling down for the team. He was also a divisive arsehole who caused dressing room unrest and probably the most ridiculous choice for captain ever. Root has time on his side and could smash every English batting record going.

11 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

He's certainly in the top ten, where is arguable.  Next 3 or 4 years if he continues to convert 50s into tons he can be top 3

Kp, Root, Cook, Gooch, Hutton, Boycott, Barrington, Hobbs, Sutcliffe, dexter.  That list is not in any order.

Criteria must have played 50 tests.

Wally Hammond?  Averaged about 59 I think.  Surely makes the list.

ETA can’t argue with the rest but Dexter would never have crossed my mind to include.

Edited by Left Back