The Cricket Thread

bewlay

34 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Jesus cocking Christ, Warwickshire. 🫥

13 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Thought Hampshire were bad but dearie me.

I support Derbyshire, don't worry, it can always get worse... ;) 

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Well I don't think it benefits anyone for Austria, Denmark and so on to turn up to a quali tournament where they just get battered by all and sundry. Scotland and Ireland are leagues ahead of the rest, so perhaps the other Euro nations should be having an extra round of games between themselves, before the top two go into a round-robin with Scotland and Ireland or something.

Ordinarily I'd argue against 'protecting' better nations, because the ICC do far too much of that as it is, but it's a different story when there is a clear gulf in quality, so much so that it means completely uncompetitive games and embarrassing scores. So far it's been like watching park cricketers getting contemptuously skelped to all parts by players who are on a different level altogether. Nobody benefits from that level of disparity.

To be fair, there were rounds before this final group, everyone playing in Edinburgh has qualified to be there.

30 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

To be fair, there were rounds before this final group, everyone playing in Edinburgh has qualified to be there.

Yeah it's not just between Scotland/Ireland/Netherlands and the rest of Europe that the gap is too big. Austria was in a qualifying tournament with 10 countries and they smashed all their opposition out of the park. It was even less competitive than this group is. 

Ireland and Scotland got here by being in the last World Cup. Germany and Jersey for being at the last global qualifiers. Italy, Austria and Denmark qualified through regional preliminaries that had a total of 28 countries taking part. Italy also qualified convincingly and only Denmark had some decent competition. 

Delighted to see George Munsey reclaim the record for the top score by a Scottish batsman in T20 internationals, albeit he’d only shared top spot with Oli Hairs for a day. Fantastic knock from him today.

Netherlands apart, Scotland are clearly on a different level from the other European associates (and that’s without a bunch of county players that weren’t released for this series, or the recent ODI World Cup qualifiers in Zimbabwe), in both ODI and T20 formats, so it’s high time the ICC promoted us to full member status. It’s also about time that we saw the advent of a prestigious annual European T20 competition (similar to the Six Nations in rugby) including Ireland, Netherlands, Scotland (England too, if they could be bothered) and qualifiers.

The likes of Munsey, Hairs, McMullen, Berrington, Leask, Sharif, Watt, Currie et al. are far too good to be wasting away in the hinterland that is associate cricket. They need exposure to a better class of cricket on a regular basis, and I’m sure that they would thrive. This is the best group of players I’ve seen represent Scotland, and I’ve been watching Scotland for over 30 years. Though he wasn’t at his fluent best with the bat today, McMullen’s potential (as has already been noted) is astronomical, as we saw yesterday against Italy, but there are high quality players throughout the team and the squad now. Scotland have been kept locked outside the door with a begging bowl for far too long by the ICC. This group of players deserves better.

IMG_3008.jpeg

I honestly don’t know how much full member status would benefit Scotland. Where we are is, yes, a niche in that we are in the top 3-4 associate sides, but I don’t think the funding is available to make the step up (a recent graphic showed that Scotland only had $1million in funding allocated by the ICC) and the remainder is made up of flailing commercial income.

Playing in the West, certainly, I also don’t have much faith in the governance from Cricket Scotland, especially outside of the EH postcodes. We have league reconstruction it seems every other year, disciplinary standards vary wildly week in week out, and we only seem to have enough umpires to cover the top league in each region reliably. Surely ducks have to be in a row domestically before progress can be made internationally?

I also don’t have any faith that should Scotland go to full member, that any funding increases would trickle down to clubs where improvements to facilities must be an objective.

I thought it was a real loss when we stopped playing in the English Counties Sunday competition. That format was always destined to be dumped in any case, but it was good to get regular competitive cricket against 1st class and Test calibre cricketers. I reckon we'd probably do ok if the same thing reappeared right now.

4 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Netherlands apart, Scotland are clearly on a different level from the other European associates (and that’s without a bunch of county players that weren’t released for this series, or the recent ODI World Cup qualifiers in Zimbabwe), in both ODI and T20 formats, so it’s high time the ICC promoted us to full member status. It’s also about time that we saw the advent of a prestigious annual European T20 competition (similar to the Six Nations in rugby) including Ireland, Netherlands, Scotland (England too, if they could be bothered) and qualifiers.

I fully agree that Scotland and The Netherlands should become full members. But separate from that, we do need a good European competition too. Obviously, I loved it when we gained automatic qualification for next year's T20 World Cup. Scotland and Ireland will have been happy with that too as otherwise it would be these 3 fighting it out for 2 spots and now it seems rather straightforward for both Scotland & Ireland. However, the big downside of that is that we don't have a single competitive T20 international between the 2022 & 2024 World Cups. In ODI cricket there are also sometimes long periods without competitive matches. There are plenty of other continental competitions, so why not in Europe? Also, the next European countries down from us like Germany & Jersey have similar issues to us with not enough regular cricket or chances to test themselves against stronger opposition.

IMO, let's introduce a 6 team tournament with Ireland, Scotland, Netherlands & 3 qualifiers*. It could be a home- and away-format with both T20 and ODI matches across 2 years for example. There could be a second tier with the likes of Austria for example, who fight it out for promotion to the top tier at the same time. Even if the 3 "big" nations in this don't get County players based in England released, it could still be a really useful tournament to let others prove themselves.

*Assuming England won't be interested but I'd be happy to have them on board, in which case the format obviously needs to be revised slightly to include them

Edited by Marten

Meanwhile Jersey beat Germany in this afternoon's game. As a result Scotland (and Ireland) are as good as qualified. Only if Scotland lose both remaining matches, Germany or Italy win both theirs (and they still play each other, with Germany also still to play Ireland) AND there is an exceptional turnaround in net run-rate. That's highly unlikely to happen.

14 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Would take the biggest run rate turnaround I can imagine.

The world cup starts in the West Indies / USA 2 weeks before Euro 2024, wonder if anyone brave / rich/ stupid enough to do both if the football team qualify?

Maybe don't book flights, just yet.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/news-2024-t20-world-cup-likely-moved-west-indies-usa-icc-approach-england-host-reports

Ireland v Germany at Goldenacre abandoned due to weather. Pitch inspection at midday for Italy v Austria. Scotland v Denmark at the Grange (reduced to 18 overs per side) will start at 11.30am if there’s no further rain. Even if it’s not raining in Stockbridge atm, that looks optimistic as it’s raining steadily in Leith at the moment, and the sky is ominously grey.

Edited by Frankie S

9 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Ireland v Germany at Goldenacre abandoned due to weather. Pitch inspection at midday for Italy v Austria. Scotland v Denmark at the Grange (reduced to 18 overs per side) will start at 11.30am if there’s no further rain. Even if it’s not raining in Stockbridge atm, that looks optimistic as it’s raining steadily in Leith at the moment, and the sky is ominously grey.

A washout today would mathematically confirm qualification for both Ireland & Scotland.

21 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'm actually planning to go so I hope there is some certainty soon. And I'd rather be in some nice tropical location in the Caribbean than at Edgbaston or Old Trafford tbh. ;)