The Cricket Thread

bewlay

It's a bit weird he told Stokes yesterday and then told the rest of the team today. I mean, even if he made his mind up yesterday could he not have just kept it to himself for a couple of days then announced it after the Test?

Seems a bit 'this is all about me' tbh

Broad has been a fantastic cricketer.  So determined to improve and worked incredibly hard on his game.

England have been spoiled by having him and Anderson together and the latter has probably overshadowed just how good Broad is.

Some of the things he has given is cricket fans over the years has been wonderful.  Even better the Aussies hate him.

A deserved retirement for a true champion.

I've been lucky enough to see two ludicrously good spells from English seamers in the Ashes as they hapoened. As a 10 year old dumped at my granny's during the school holidays in 1981 I watched Bob Willis tear in for 8-43 to give England the unlikeliest of wins.

That was nothing compared to Broad ripping them apart for 8-15 at Trent Bridge in 2015. He was just unplayable and made a lot of good batsmen look bang average.

10 hours ago, Aubrey Maturin said:

Broad has been a fantastic cricketer.  So determined to improve and worked incredibly hard on his game.

England have been spoiled by having him and Anderson together and the latter has probably overshadowed just how good Broad is.

Some of the things he has given is cricket fans over the years has been wonderful.  Even better the Aussies hate him.

A deserved retirement for a true champion.

Btw, stop confusing me Tynie, what the Dickens is this heel turn about with your new name, not something to Crowe about.

Now call me cynical, but the fact that Sky had a tribute video ready to roll last night suggests that Broad's announcement wasn't as big a surprise to them as it was to everyone else. Fully expecting him to be on commentary for them soon, they've not had a bowler regularly since Botham and Holding left.

Just now, peasy23 said:

Now call me cynical, but the fact that Sky had a tribute video ready to roll last night suggests that Broad's announcement wasn't as big a surprise to them as it was to everyone else. Fully expecting him to be on commentary for them soon, they've not had a bowler regularly since Botham and Holding left.

There's definitely something a bit bollocks about it all. I don't know why you'd tell your skipper two days into a Test that you've decided to retire. Anyone who isn't a total egomaniac keeps it to themselves until the match is over.

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

There's definitely something a bit bollocks about it all. I don't know why you'd tell your skipper two days into a Test that you've decided to retire. Anyone who isn't a total egomaniac keeps it to themselves until the match is over.

It was only later after I posted the Mollie King clip I was wondering why Aggers was even asking about Broad retiring. There must have been a hint of a rumour at least doing the rounds. She certainly fended it off with a straight bat.

I genuinely think if they weren't due to tour India he'd probably have kept going.  Makes you wonder if Jimmy will make himself available, whether they'll select him if he does, and if they don't, who on earth are they going to select? No Broad, no Jimmy, Wood can't be trusted one test to another. 

Robinson, Tongue, Overton? Saqib Mahmood? That's no scaring anybody.

3 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I genuinely think if they weren't due to tour India he'd probably have kept going.  Makes you wonder if Jimmy will make himself available, whether they'll select him if he does, and if they don't, who on earth are they going to select? No Broad, no Jimmy, Wood can't be trusted one test to another. 

Robinson, Tongue, Overton? Saqib Mahmood? That's no scaring anybody.

It's been one of Broad's biggest assets, he's rarely been unavailable. They might try and persuade Jimmy to keep going so they can rotate him, Tongue and Wood.