The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Brilliant hundred by Kamindu Mendis, with Chandimal batting excellently too. New ball is still fairly new so would back Woakes and co to do something after lunch but with the old ball on a fairly slow deck, England remain a one dimensional bowling attack without difference makers like Stokes and Wood.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Mind when everyone was dooming about the death of Test Cricket in England, Sky pulling out etc, because this Test was going to be over inside two days?

The pitch is shite, but anyone who actually saw Day 1 and 2 knew it wasn’t going to be over by then. Sri Lanka have applied themselves reasonably well in awful conditions, aside from choosing to bat. England have been a bit careless with the bat, and one dimensional with the ball, the poor pitch aiding them in the first innings. However they have the talent and the home conditions to still win this, although they are wobbling here.

20 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo said:

The pitch is shite, but anyone who actually saw Day 1 and 2 knew it wasn’t going to be over by then. Sri Lanka have applied themselves reasonably well in awful conditions, aside from choosing to bat. England have been a bit careless with the bat, and one dimensional with the ball, the poor pitch aiding them in the first innings. However they have the talent and the home conditions to still win this, although they are wobbling here.

Root & Brook doing normal Test Cricket batting will see them through here.

2 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Root & Brook doing normal Test Cricket batting will see them through here.

They’ll be fine, but Sri Lanka have been okay. Expect them to get better, and hopefully the pitches do too.

10 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo said:

They’ll be fine, but Sri Lanka have been okay. Expect them to get better, and hopefully the pitches do too.

Kamindu Mendis looks like he could bat 4 or 5, blows my mind that he can bowl with either arm as well.

8 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Kamindu Mendis looks like he could bat 4 or 5, blows my mind that he can bowl with either arm as well.

I’m gutted he’s not bowled. I suppose 3 spinners was just too many.

edit - appears he did and I missed it

Edited by Sir Tarmo

58 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo said:

I don't really mind a testing pitch, provided it's reasonably the same throughout the match. When you get one of these stupid ones where the bounce is all over the place for the first day or two, then it totally dies and becomes completely lifeless, then questions need to be asked. I'd rather watch a series of 4-4.5 day low-scoring Tests than the nonsense where both teams make 600 and the game is essentially dead by day 4 unless the team batting 3rd collapses.

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I don't really mind a testing pitch, provided it's reasonably the same throughout the match. When you get one of these stupid ones where the bounce is all over the place for the first day or two, then it totally dies and becomes completely lifeless, then questions need to be asked. I'd rather watch a series of 4-4.5 day low-scoring Tests than the nonsense where both teams make 600 and the game is essentially dead by day 4 unless the team batting 3rd collapses.

The pitch was all over the place for the first few days with some deliveries flying over the batsman and some keeping extremely low. If it was in India, Aggers and Vaughan and co would be up in arms.

2 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo said:

The pitch was all over the place for the first few days with some deliveries flying over the batsman and some keeping extremely low. If it was in India, Aggers and Vaughan and co would be up in arms.

I don't think OT has ever been quite the same since they rotated the square. The first summer after they shifted it the ball was doing all sorts of stupid stuff off the surface and I don't think it's ever properly settled back down again.

27 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo said:

England grinding it out here. Root has been in nearly 100 balls and hasn’t scored a boundary. Bazball amirite?

They've upped the scoring rate now, someone must have told them that the weather forecast for tomorrow is shite.

11 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

They've upped the scoring rate now, someone must have told them that the weather forecast for tomorrow is shite.

While his peers sweep gung-ho at the other end, Joe Root reads and plays the situation perfectly again. Will go down as England’s greatest.

33 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Smith looks a real prospect at 6/7.  He came in and in about fifteen minutes made sure England win tonight. 

11 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Smith looks a real prospect at 6/7.  He came in and in about fifteen minutes made sure England win tonight. 

Smith is the no 3 England (and Wales) have been crying out for. At the very least, when Stokes comes back he needs to move to 7 to let him up the order.

2 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Smith is the no 3 England (and Wales) have been crying out for. At the very least, when Stokes comes back he needs to move to 7 to let him up the order.

Batting 3 and keeping wicket in test cricket is an absolute non starter. Keep him at 7, let him be the rock later on in an innings. 

I know it’s early days, at home to weaker oppo, but Smith looks like he could be nailed on in the side for a good decade already. Obviously India and Ashes tours can see things off but I think he’ll bat at 7 until they decide he’s good enough to bat 4 or 5 purely as a batsman, likely when Root and Stokes go.

Edited by Sir Tarmo

3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Batting 3 and keeping wicket in test cricket is an absolute non starter. Keep him at 7, let him be the rock later on in an innings. 

Alec Stewart did ok opening & keeping wicket & I know he rates Smith very highly, ideally he is a 5 or 6 but he has the technique & ability to come in first drop.

Josh Hull from Leics called in to the squad replace Mark Wood. Stone likely to replace Wood in the XI. 

Hull seems another left-field Bashir type Bazball selection. Averages 62 with the ball in FC Cricket, but bowls 90mph and is 6ft7.

Seems like they’re picking on attributes and potential for the Ashes so would imagine the likes of Sam Cook can forget about a call up.