The Cricket Thread

bewlay

My favourite cricket side south of the border is Derbyshire. When I lived down there I was a member for 3 years. We just beat Glamorgan at home in the County Championship. Target was 27 for the second innings, which was done for no wickets in 6.4 overs.

This was our first home win in 5 years! 🏏😀

22 hours ago, Sir Tarmo said:

While his peers sweep gung-ho at the other end, Joe Root reads and plays the situation perfectly again. Will go down as England’s greatest.

Talking of playing the situation. 

7 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Alec Stewart did ok opening & keeping wicket & I know he rates Smith very highly, ideally he is a 5 or 6 but he has the technique & ability to come in first drop.

He retired 21 years ago, and only Sangakkara has batted to 3 while keeping for any length of time since (and he only had the gloves for a little over a third of the tests he played in). I don’t disagree about him having the technique to potentially bat 3. He won’t do it while keeping the gloves though. There’s a reason it’s so rare. 

Edited by die hard doonhamer

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Our incredibly exciting plan to avoid relegation without winning a game all season continues to take shape.

Very little intent from your lads this morning, which I thought was quite odd. Maybe spooked by Somerset chasing down that huge score at Taunton?

Just now, Jupiter Jazz said:

Very little intent from your lads this morning, which I thought was quite odd. Maybe spooked by Somerset chasing down that huge score at Taunton?

Just shitebags, I think. And the ridiculous decision to award eight points for a draw encourages negative cricket.

39 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo said:

Lawrence is absolutely hopeless as an opener, England are just giving away a cheap wicket every game with him there.

I don’t think he’s much better in the middle order to be quite honest with you.   

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

I don’t think he’s much better in the middle order to be quite honest with you.   

Exactly. Why a middle order flapper who doesn’t know where his off stump is and averages about 25 is opening appears to be stupidity rather than innovation. 

45 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo said:

Exactly. Why a middle order flapper who doesn’t know where his off stump is and averages about 25 is opening appears to be stupidity rather than innovation. 

Seemingly he’s a good “clubhouse presence”.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

Seemingly he’s a good “clubhouse presence”.

That being said, it seems none of the England batsmen (except Joe Root, again, of course) know how to hold a bat today.

2 hours ago, Sir Tarmo said:

That being said, it seems none of the England batsmen (except Joe Root, again, of course) know how to hold a bat today.

And *checks notes* Gus Atkinson.  

42 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

And *checks notes* Gus Atkinson.  

Good contribution from him, I had no idea he could bat. A decent score for England now, but they better hope Joe Root doesn’t get a first baller for the rest of the series.