The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I think there is a fair distance between the sides and this will be more apparent as the series goes on. Australias batting isn't good and it's bowling attack is erratic. England are always slow starters in a series and will win this series at a bit of a canter. Australia might well grow into this couple of series as it wears on, but it could also go wrong if the defeats become fairly heavy and confidence is lost and they begin to make panic changes. There are one or two good players in the Aussie ranks and there is a bit of rawness there too which could go either way really. Results and confidence the results bring can go a long way to making a good career, but England will get better, their top order can dismantle that Aussie attack, and will do in due course.

Fair play mate but a few points in there can go either sides way really.

I wouldn't say our bowling attack is erratic as such and wont make panic changes just for the sake of it as let's face it there wont be many if any changes at all from the 1st test apart from maybe two tactical changes at most I would say. Our main problem and honestly think the only difference between the two sides is our top order batting isn't doing the job they are supposed to. If this is supposed to be a 'great' english side then it shows how bad the past ones have been as they have had to dig really deep to beat one of our worst sides in a long time. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree and I know most of you on here will since you all go for the poms.

I wouldn't say our bowling attack is erratic as such and wont make panic changes just for the sake of it as let's face it there wont be many if any changes at all from the 1st test apart from maybe two tactical changes at most I would say. Our main problem and honestly think the only difference between the two sides is our top order batting isn't doing the job they are supposed to. If this is supposed to be a 'great' english side then it shows how bad the past ones have been as they have had to dig really deep to beat one of our worst sides in a long time. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree and I know most of you on here will since you all go for the poms.

The Aussie bowling line up is not in remotely the same sort of class as Englands. They have two world class bowlers, Australia have none. In reality, this is what will win the series for England, both series. Australia's best hope is that Swann and or Anderson get injured.

I do think Australia have bowlers that can take twenty wickets in a test match, but it won't be consistent and it could happen in the dead rubbers and not when Australia really need it. Thats the big difference. I think England can control a test through quality bowling, never mind the fact they have a better batting line up too.

I'm just looking forward to it all, even when Australia were ridiculously dominant, they were always test matches with something worth seeing. I dont see you rolling over and dying either.

Its not a great English side. Its a pretty good one though and it ALWAYS starts test series badly and slowly. Australia were a shambles in India so the change of management will help them, plus its an ashes series so there will be the "well up for this" mentality. But over the course of ten test matches they wont be good enough.

Erm! No!I personally want the Aussies to win, BUT I don't think Reynard is far wrong in his points.

The Aussie bowling line up is not in remotely the same sort of class as Englands. They have two world class bowlers, Australia have none. In reality, this is what will win the series for England, both series. Australia's best hope is that Swann and or Anderson get injured.

I do think Australia have bowlers that can take twenty wickets in a test match, but it won't be consistent and it could happen in the dead rubbers and not when Australia really need it. Thats the big difference. I think England can control a test through quality bowling, never mind the fact they have a better batting line up too.

I'm just looking forward to it all, even when Australia were ridiculously dominant, they were always test matches with something worth seeing. I dont see you rolling over and dying either.

Have to say I disagree with that mate. The poms rely on Anderson and maybe to a slightly lesser extent Swann so much its ridiculous. To say someone like Siddle is not world class is not right.

Erm! No!I personally want the Aussies to win, BUT I don't think Reynard is far wrong in his points.

As I said before I'm not buying into any of this rubbish that the poms are streets ahead of us, we aren't as good a side but definitely not that far off them as some people would like you to believe and this is one of our worst sides in as long as I can ever remember.

Yeah I'm not quite sure why, but Test Cricket was always the only sport where I ever supported England.

It really baffles me why Scots will support the poms in cricket. Scotland have their own test side surely, so why not support them? You hope the poms get beat in everything else so why in cricket you all jump on their bandwagon? Genuine question.

It really baffles me why Scots will support the poms in cricket. Scotland have their own test side surely, so why not support them? You hope the poms get beat in everything else so why in cricket you all jump on their bandwagon? Genuine question.

Except our Test side is England. We don't have Test status, therefore any Scot who wants to play Test cricket will end up playing for England, eg Gavin Hamilton, Peter Such, Mike Denness, and "Mr Bodyline" Douglas Jardine. Dougie Brown also played one-dayers for England but no tests.

Still weird supporting a team which is actually called 'England' especially when there are no Scots in the team and more Saffers to have played in the side than any actual Scotsmen of late. Whenever we play the poms in cricket I certainly see them as England only rather than say England but representing Britain :unsure:

Have to say I disagree with that mate. The poms rely on Anderson and maybe to a slightly lesser extent Swann so much its ridiculous. To say someone like Siddle is not world class is not right.

As I said before I'm not buying into any of this rubbish that the poms are streets ahead of us, we aren't as good a side but definitely not that far off them as some people would like you to believe and this is one of our worst sides in as long as I can ever remember.

Rubbish. If you actually go and check the bowling records of both Broad and Finn you will see they have made massive contributions to test wins. Anderson and Swann are world class bowlers. Siddle is a good bowler too, I never ever said he wasn't.

You might not be buying into the rubbish that the poms are streets ahead. Fair enough. Bet your house on a close series in England then. You'll lose your money.<_<

Still weird supporting a team which is actually called 'England' especially when there are no Scots in the team and more Saffers to have played in the side than any actual Scotsmen of late. Whenever we play the poms in cricket I certainly see them as England only rather than say England but representing Britain :unsure:

If we want to watch top class cricket in the UK then we have to follow the test side. I've met plenty Scots cricket fans at test matches, and Irish too believe it or not. What are the options anyway for a test cricket fan in this part of the world? A few hours drive to Leeds or Nottingham or have you got any other suggestions?

Anyone beating the Aussies is fine by me. They whinge like f**k as it happens too so it will be good fun on FB winding up my Australian chums. It was also good watching them rooting for Djokovic in the tennis and failing. Sporting failure seems to be "the thing" in Australia these days. Long may it continue. :)

Except our Test side is England. We don't have Test status, therefore any Scot who wants to play Test cricket will end up playing for England, eg Gavin Hamilton, Peter Such, Mike Denness, and "Mr Bodyline" Douglas Jardine. Dougie Brown also played one-dayers for England but no tests.

Just like someone from Trinidad and Tobago has to go with the West Indies. It really isn't a big deal, test cricket is fuckiong brilliant, they can hang whatever label they like on teams and I dont really care.

I remember supporting the rest of the world against "The Australians" back in Packers day.

Peter Such.. We are quite chuffed when a Scot gets on in test cricket, its a fairly rare event but its good when it happens.

Yeah I'm not quite sure why, but Test Cricket was always the only sport where I ever supported England.

Me too. I get dog's abuse for it over here in Norn Irn but I tell you a fair number of guys over here shout on the England football team. Unforgivable.

Rubbish. If you actually go and check the bowling records of both Broad and Finn you will see they have made massive contributions to test wins. Anderson and Swann are world class bowlers. Siddle is a good bowler too, I never ever said he wasn't.

You might not be buying into the rubbish that the poms are streets ahead. Fair enough. Bet your house on a close series in England then. You'll lose your money. <_<

Yeah because Broad and Finn got the bulk of the poms wickets didn't they :P Take and Anderson and Swann out and the poms bowling attack is struggling.

If we want to watch top class cricket in the UK then we have to follow the test side. I've met plenty Scots cricket fans at test matches, and Irish too believe it or not. What are the options anyway for a test cricket fan in this part of the world? A few hours drive to Leeds or Nottingham or have you got any other suggestions?

Anyone beating the Aussies is fine by me. They whinge like f**k as it happens too so it will be good fun on FB winding up my Australian chums. It was also good watching them rooting for Djokovic in the tennis and failing. Sporting failure seems to be "the thing" in Australia these days. Long may it continue. :)

Its hilarious because you had people on here whingeing about the British Lions rugby side not playing a Scotsman and saying stuff like 'oh I'm not supporting them because they aren't playing any Scots' and then you go out and support a side called 'England' that has zero Scots in it! Also we all down here look at the pommy test team as english alone and not Scotland or Wales or whatever but only england. Pot calling the kettle black my friend saying we whinge like f**k when all you have to do is go on here and see thousands of Brits whinge like f**k over pretty much anything :lol: Also I think you will find the majority of people here were going for Murray in the final against Djokovic. Mainly only the large Serbian population here were going for him so try again. The problem with the poms is they have had their arse's handed to them for so long by us they have developed a really large chip on their shoulder to us and when they finally win something they are the worst winners you could imagine. They have a small poppy syndrome :P

By the way I have an idea on how to change you all from "having" to support the poms, how about Scotland set up their own test team for once as lets face it, it's a slap in the face to them that the poms would rather go and look to bring in Saffers over the Scots. Simples. ;)

I find all the media patronising/encouraging writing about the Australian side weird. Don't we want to crush them? Grind their faces into the sand like they did to us in the 90s? Weird attitude. Smacks a bit of the rugby obsession with talking up all the shit teams to make out it's a sport played by more than 5 countries. Enjoy it.