The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Australia's batting prowess is rather suspect!

They are absolutely horrible...

It will be very interesting to see the highest total they manage this Ashes series. I'm still betting they never get over 350.

Hotspot seems to create more problems than it solves. I think the Hughes one was out- from the audio there could have been no other contact than bat on ball i.e. there's no way he hit his pad with his bat or anything and snicko (which I know they can't use) showed an edge- but if it had been given not out on the field would that have been enough to overturn it?

I read somewhere that the creators of snicko have said they should be able to get it working within 5 seconds which would presumably enable it to be used.

Edited by Fuctifano

If you're given out you should only use a review really on being given LBW off an inside edge.

You should have a fairly good clue- I was a terrible club level batsman and I still had an idea whether I was plumb lbw or not when I (frequently) missed one- I would use it if I thought it was a shocker but even if it was a "not sure" you're probably best walking off (game situation dependent etc).

the Rogers lack of review was probably partly down to Watson being a dick and burning one of the reviews and partly because it was such an unusual trajectory.

Also interesting that 2 Aussie batsmen (Clarke last test and Hughes there) have reviewed edges saying they didn't feel them- bats must be getting very good at dulling vibrations these days.

Hotspot seems to create more problems than it solves. I think the Hughes one was out- from the audio there could have been no other contact than bat on ball i.e. there's no way he hit his pad with his bat or anything and snicko (which I know they can't use) showed an edge- but if it had been given not out on the field would that have been enough to overturn it?

I read somewhere that the creators of snicko have said they should be able to get it working within 5 seconds which would presumably enable it to be used.

The thing is if there was no DRS, I don't think there'd even be that much debate. Sure there'd be some poor decisions here and there, but players always accepted it and umpires have to be better now they're both impartial. The fact that technology IS there is what muddles things. What players have to realise though is that very few of the onfield decisions get changed. No point reviewing unless you KNOW it's a bad one, like an inside edge onto your pads given as LBW. Australia speculate, "that MIGHT have been outside the line". You can't do that.

With the Rogers, as an umpire, if it nails the guy in front of the stumps as a full toss, surely you can't say to yourself "that would've bounced and turned away from the stumps"?

Yeah, I think England have gone from one of the worst teams at using reviews to one of the best- as long as Stuart Broad isn't involved. A lot of teams were / are using it as a gamble -i.e. if the opposition's best bat was on 0 and there's a marginal lbw then take the risk of wasting one just in case he's out. Towards the end of the innings if you've got them in hand then they just become freebies- like in that run chase in the last test England were blatantly going to review anything on the last wicket because they had 2 still to use.

I'm coming round to Jonathan Agnew's way of thinking in that the reviews should be reduced to 1, which means less of the above and more for "that's obviously wrong".

This might go down as one of the worst predictions in PNB history :lol:

Englands top order cracking up, horrible shot by Trott. 127-4, Australia looking fantastic.

:lol: