The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Essentially there's far too much time left in the game- the modern theory which England subscribe to is that by not following on and piling up runs you give your bowlers a rest and take the possibility of a defeat out of the equation.

I think a team following on has only ever won 4 times in the history of the game (famously England vs Australia in 1981 and India vs Australia in 2001) but Australia did come close in 2005 vs England but it can happen and no-one really likes chasing 150 or so on the last day when you can leave the opposition chasing 500 or more which is pretty demoralising.

The only reason a team would follow on again in general now is if there's been a rain delay and time is a bit tighter- in the days when teams scored at 2 runs an over enforcing the follow on tended to be a lot more common.

That's it. You really dont want to bat last on a wicket that is going to be turning and worn and maybe giving erratic bounce chasing a couple of hudred potentially if it all went well for the Aussies. England will rule out an Aussie win by hopefully batting til Sunday, and then scoreboard pressure and half decent bowling will do the rest, and ridiculously attacking fields.

And the weather isn't going to mean time is an issue either, they know they have three full days and a part session left.

And the hosts and sponsors won't like a short test either :P

Edited by Reynard

A general query in amongst all the ashes stuff.

Hat-tricks are rare enough but has anyone ever taken a first class quadruple (if that's the correct term) or better?

I knew Shaun Pollock and Graham Napier (earlier this year) have done it in domestic one day cricket but

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/pollock-takes-four-wickets-in-four-balls-1307035.html

shows you're going back to 1972 for the last time in a first class game.

As an aside, is there a reason you have to post the whole link now rather than being able to attach it to a word?

Edited by Fuctifano

HB, seeing as I have no knowledge of cricket tactics can you (or others) explain why not? I'd like to learn.

England see it as a risk.

It looks a good option, but if the team you put back in gets say 400 in this instance (ignoring that Australia are shite) you could end up chasing 150 on the last day with a pitch all roughed up.

If you don't enforce the follow on, you will leave them chasing 450 ish in the final innings on the pitch. It's the conservative tactic.

Basically if your bowling attack is your strength, you are usually better not to enforce the follow on.

It looks a good option, but if the team you put back in gets say 400 in this instance (ignoring that Australia are shite) you could end up chasing 150 on the last day with a pitch all roughed up.

If you don't enforce the follow on, you will leave them chasing 450 ish in the final innings on the pitch. It's the conservative tactic.

Basically if your bowling attack is your strength, you are usually better not to enforce the follow on.

Normally it is but not on day two of a test with the weather not an issue. There is loads of time left, normally you would be well into the thrid day after having stuck a big score on the board in your first innings and then you'd judge it from there, but in this case you just need to get back out there and try and bat as long as you possibly can with a lot less pressure on you.

He'll get the "you're not even the best player in your own family" sledge soon.

I thought he looked fairly useful at Nottingham as well, but he really didn't get his line right at all. It was a Finn second innings at TB performance.

He bowled a lot of utter filth as they say. :lol:

I was a bit surprised at this but on reflection, England will want to bat and put this one out of site. Rest their bowlers and use a possible turning wicket to their benefit.

Regretting it now? C'mon England, dinna be soft!

They are just doing it to entertain us 30-3? Great listening. When does it finish? My weans finished school today so we're going out for dinner at 7. Can we get 2 more wickets before then?

They are just doing it to entertain us 30-3? Great listening. When does it finish? My weans finished school today so we're going out for dinner at 7. Can we get 2 more wickets before then?

It's why batting again is the safe option. Much less pressure on England tomorrow knowing that Australia won't get 350 anyway. A couple of the middle order can play Boycott innings and get 20 or 30 if it's looking like they will struggle a bit to deal with the Aussies.

It's why batting again is the safe option. Much less pressure on England tomorrow knowing that Australia won't get 350 anyway. A couple of the middle order can play Boycott innings and get 20 or 30 if it's looking like they will struggle a bit to deal with the Aussies.

Thanks again. I THINK I'm getting it. How much of a difference does England losing 3 wickets make?