The Cricket Thread

bewlay

IMO, not too much. Think they will get a VERY comfortable lead against a terrible batting side.

Yup. More of an annoyance than anything else.

Aussie batting is truly horrendous, I think Clarke should be 1st drop tbh, as reynard indicated, no point him coming in at 5 pure raging at the dross served up before him.

Asking for Pietersen to be dropped is nonsense, it would be a different story if England were struggling but they aren't. KP will get a big score in this series, but we are only four innings into it and he is one of the best batsmen England have had. Dropping him for Compton is lunacy.

England are progressing nicely, Bell has finally started to get big scores without someone holding his hand and England will win this test comfortably as Australia are shiteing it facing Anderson and Swann.

After years of watching England buckle under Australian dominance, enjoy the moment because they will be back.

England are already out of reach in this test match, a few of the guys that got out could have done with making runs, but they will come. I think Root badly needs to make some runs as he has looked gash opening the batting so far, not sure Compron would have been any more comfortable but this mornings session will be a big deal for him. Hopefully Bresnan manages to last more than a ball as he could nail down a place in the side if he has a reasonable time of it with the bat, I thought he bowled well enough yesterday to be worth another pop.

This Australian batting line up is horrible, and is visibly wilting under any sort of pressure so England will know that another hundred or so is going to be more than enough to win this test, although they will be wanting to bat as long as they possibly can , but with three down already, you can probably see the Aussie bowlers (who are a decent attack) getting them out reasonably cheaply.

This will be the first days cricket I will have missed "live" and I wont get it on the radio either as I will be somewhere out around the Mull of Kintyre in a fucking boat and the digital signal is shit there. :(

Australia can give themselves a shout if they can knock down England by mid afternoon. They will still lose of course, but they could make it interesting.

Guest The Phoenix

Australia can give themselves a shout if they can knock down England by mid afternoon.

I'd be amazed if even an Aussie whimper is audible.

I'd be amazed if even an Aussie whimper is audible.

Oh me too, but IF they could, they may make a bit of a game of it. As ti stands, right now, they won't get Englands total on a decent batting track.

I can't really understand how both sides have found batting so difficult, it hasn't swung, it hasn't moved much off the pitch and while it is starting to spin now, it isn't scary yet. You could see that England were having a few batting problems in the series agains the Kiwis, but I thought it was a blip. Maybe not.

Guest The Phoenix

I can't really understand how both sides have found batting so difficult, it hasn't swung, it hasn't moved much off the pitch and while it is starting to spin now, it isn't scary yet.

Aside from the one Trott took at first slip from Swan! :lol:

I agree that England aren't performing to anywhere near the level they should be, against a very poor Australian team.

Oh me too, but IF they could, they may make a bit of a game of it. As ti stands, right now, they won't get Englands total on a decent batting track.

I can't really understand how both sides have found batting so difficult, it hasn't swung, it hasn't moved much off the pitch and while it is starting to spin now, it isn't scary yet. You could see that England were having a few batting problems in the series agains the Kiwis, but I thought it was a blip. Maybe not.

The Australians are rank rotten, however the England batting performances this summer against both sides have been a concern. Is it complacency, I'm not sure? Mr dependable Trott has been out to some very loose shots this summer, and the way Pietersen has got himself out in this test has been piss poor. If the captain isn't scoring heavily then the other senior players need to give themselves a shake. As much as I would like Bairstow to succeed as a test number six I just can't see him getting a huge score at any point. Matt Prior has also been out to some poor strokes. I thought I would never say this but thank goodness for Bellend.

A very important morning for Joe Root, who did not look convincing yesterday, though I'm sure a big innings would cement his place and help him relax.

Thanks again. I THINK I'm getting it. How much of a difference does England losing 3 wickets make?

It's not ideal (obviously). If they were skittled out for 90 that would be a bit of a disaster. Not because they'd lose the test but because it would be embarrassing and give the Aussies a bit of a lift for the next one.

Ideally you want to declare rather than be bowled out, as it shows you are deciding the terms of the game and you can bat as long as you want - you've just decided to slay them from here. It's always demoralising for a fielding side to be declared on in this kind of situation.

Though there isn't usually so much time left in the game (with weather not an issue) so there won't be a declaration here.

It will be interesting at what point in the series the Aussie bowlers take the batsmen outside into the car park and leather them.

Asking for Pietersen to be dropped is nonsense,

It is indeed. He looked in good nick in the second innings at Trent Bridge. And he will hit at least one quick and large score in the series. He'll end up second or third in the batting averages at the end of it.

The thing is, the England batting line up have all scored at some point in the 3 and a bit innings so far. No one has had a complete mare. It's just been a lack of partnerships.

I'm not for the return of Compton. A he isn't good enough and B he's too old to be a long term option. England are going to crush Australia with Bairstow and Root learning their trade. They will play in loads of ashes series in the future. This is a great time to blood them.

I'm a big fan of Oz cricket but this team is tame. No fight or killer instinct. Really passive team.

Plus the decision making in both Tests so far has been really poor from the reviews, run outs, game plans etc. how much of this can be apportioned to Clarke!

Was hoping for an early strike to keep it interesting but Root and Bresnan look solid and well set. An awful lot of batting to come aswell. If England make it too 330- 350 lead by lunch, I can see a lot of big hitting this afternoon. Aim for a 500-550 lead then declare! Then bowl them out for 200!!

Win the Series in two weeks time!!

Once the Ashes is over after Manchester, Australia need to try and use the last couple of test matches to find a batting line up they may be able to use in the home series.

Don't know enough about their domestic cricket to know what's still to be tried. I've seen Khawaja quite a lot in limited overs cricket and I've always thought he was poor. Hughes isn't good enough either, and obviously Rogers won't be in the side in Australia. Watson isn't an opener, and Warner doesn't have the technique for test match cricket.

Doesn't leave you much to work with...

Only Clarke would get in the England side. Maybe Watson as an all rounder at 6.

In terms of Test Match batting, I think Bresnan and Broad are as decent with the stick as half the Aussie top order. Genuinely.

Edited by H_B

I'm not a massive fan of cricket, but it seems to me England arn't even playing that well, but australia are contriving to beat themselves, they'd be as well after hitting 30 or so turning round and smashing the stumps.

They've been risky with the review system, and in trying to squeeze an extra run here and there. Test cricket isn't exactly known for rewarding risk takers.

This thread has been a terrific read the last few pages.

I don't know enough about the intricacies of the game to fully enjoy it, but I certainly enjoy it enough when it's on. I love the majority of the Sky commentators (Michael Holding especially), and Bob Willis is hilarious on the highlights shows.

One thing I thought was pretty telling yesterday - when the Aussie coach (Lehman is it?) was talking about chasing a big total, he said "we're just gonna have to chase it". I don't think he could've sounded more dismissive of their chances of doing that, if he'd tried.

I'm flicking between the Ashes and the Tour de France. Two sports it's taken me a while to get into, but are totally intruiging watches.

England after the 31 for 3 at the end of yesterday, if Australia came out with a bit of fight could have been looking at a low innings for England, but as already said, they are a tame team, and England have been building the runs and look shoe-ins for this test. 369 lead at the moment could be good enough as it is!