The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Because the ICC are a bunch of idiots. The umpires had no choice but with only four overs to go, it is time to give the umpires some discretion.

Indeed. Respect to Michael Clarke for making it a decent game. Simple question. Why can't cricket start at, say, 9.00?

Indeed. Respect to Michael Clarke for making it a decent game. Simple question. Why can't cricket start at, say, 9.00?

Far too much dew around in this country. We could possibly start at 10:30am.

The ICC need to get back to the old days and allow the batsmen to make the decision. Graham Thorpe's heroics against Pakistan and Steve Bucknor's umpiring at that game make for good cricket. Finish the game.

Iirc there was a change to 10.30 when channel 4 had the games but the ICC should be looking at over rates,thats what kills test cricket at times.

Far too much dew around in this country. We could possibly start at 10:30am.

Good point and I didn't think of this, but then I am not a cricketer.

This may be heresy but why not change the construction of the ball?

Edited by The_Kincardine

Well the Australians can depart in the knowledge that they are one of the worst teams to compete in the Ashes.

England were great in spells but never as consistent as they'd need to be against South Africa.

And the pitches have been doctored and shit for cricket so that they suit England. I hate Australia but I wish England had beat them with a bit less assistance. They will win again in Australia though. They are minging.

Think he loses a bit of respect for trying (and succeeding) to run off when it looked like England would win.

That's no different to what Cook (or indeed any other captain) would have done. His actions provided entertainment right to the end, but he still had to prioritise avoiding defeat.

Edited by craigkillie

Good point and I didn't think of this, but then I am not a cricketer.

This may be heresy but why not change the construction of the ball?

Presumably by getting rid of the seam. Obviously, water can seep into a cricket ball through the seam. However, we can't get rid of the seam because that would just change the whole dynamics of the game. There needs to be something in it for the bowlers.

Think he loses a bit of respect for trying (and succeeding) to run off when it looked like England would win.

Despite my post earlier about wanting to take a swipe at my telly because of Clarke's delaying tactics, he did what any other captain in world cricket would have done. The ICC need to get their act together at long last.

That's no different to what Cook (or indeed any other captain) would have done. His actions provided entertainment right to the end, but he still had to prioritise avoiding defeat.

Presumably by getting rid of the seam. Obviously, water can seep into a cricket ball through the seam. However, we can't get rid of the seam because that would just change the whole dynamics of the game. There needs to be something in it for the bowlers.

Despite my post earlier about wanting to take a swipe at my telly because of Clarke's delaying tactics, he did what any other captain in world cricket would have done. The ICC need to get their act together at long last.

I agree they probably would have,but I imagine Cook would have been a bit more respectful. Clarke acted like a fud - getting right in the umpire's face and having to be asked to move away is pretty poor, even at that stage of a game. The schoolboy-style peek over the umpire's shoulder after it was comedy though.

I agree they probably would have,but I imagine Cook would have been a bit more respectful. Clarke acted like a fud - getting right in the umpire's face and having to be asked to move away is pretty poor, even at that stage of a game. The schoolboy-style peek over the umpire's shoulder after it was comedy though.

I'd like to agree with you because I love it when the Aussies lose the Ashes, but I think any captain in his position would have done exactly the same thing.

Pat yourself on the back guys, this thread has been a belter for the past few months. A thoroughly deserved win for England.

No arguments at all surely with Bell as MOTS.

Everyone raring for the return or will it be too much of a good thing?

Strangely enough think conditions in Oz might actually favour England a touch, especially the batsmen.