The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Wonder what price they got for a 3-1 England win after they had gone 1-0 up.

The difference between the two teams' fielding was laughable. England were exceptional, nary an error, whereas India looked disinterested. England scored 101 runs in 11 overs this morning, and that only stopped because of some piss poor umpiring.

Back when Pakistan got stung, I went to a test. I remember commenting on here that one of the dodgy no-balls was the biggest no ball I had ever seen. They also dropped stuff left, right and centre. Nothing India have done is as blatantly obvious as that, so I'm tempted to say they are on the level but to, steal a phrase, their heads have gone. Dhoni had an absolute mare of a test though - that poor guy Aaron looked decent yesterday but they ran him into the ground. Inshant Sharma isn't going to get anyone when he's bowling at 75 mph, and their slip fielding (always four slips, whatever the score) is genuinely like four guys chosen at random from the crowd.

And then there's the batting...

Opener and number 6 were issues for England last year and that still remains the case. Its all very well Buttler coming in and smacking a 50 but his runs should be a bonus and not something you rely on to get you a decent total. Moeen is giving his wicket away too easily.

Alex Hales has been called up to open in the one dayers. That's your next opener right there. As for 6, I think Ali did enough with his bowling to cement his place in the team for at least another series.

Hales is worth a look but close examination of his technique may show not ready, although very impressed with how Buttler has adapted his game for the longer format. Wouldnt be surprised if a recall for Carberry.

You need the top 6 to get you a score but at present its only his bowling thats keeping Ali in the said. Another one day player with suspect technique.

Unfortunate shortage of tests to try some options.

Alex Hales has been called up to open in the one dayers. That's your next opener right there. As for 6, I think Ali did enough with his bowling to cement his place in the team for at least another series.

There's no question Ali did enough with his bowling, but does he look like a Test batsmen to you?

I can imagine Mitchell and Co rubbing their hands together at the thought of bowling to him.

England are building some good strength in depth in the fast bowling ranks though, I'd be hard pressed to pick two at the moment to partner Jimmy and Broad.

An absolutely juicy 17(seventeen) Tests lined up next year for them, culminating in a tricky trip to SA. That and the Ashes will be the true test for a lot of these guys who have broken through.

There's no question Ali did enough with his bowling, but does he look like a Test batsmen to you?

I can imagine Mitchell and Co rubbing their hands together at the thought of bowling to him.

England are building some good strength in depth in the fast bowling ranks though, I'd be hard pressed to pick two at the moment to partner Jimmy and Broad.

An absolutely juicy 17(seventeen) Tests lined up next year for them, culminating in a tricky trip to SA. That and the Ashes will be the true test for a lot of these guys who have broken through.

He's suspect with the short ball but his bowling is good enough to merit him a place. Have him in as a bowler and any runs he picks up are a bonus (as opposed to the original intention of having him as a batsman with any wickets he takes with the ball being a bonus) and try to focus on sorting out the top order.

Moeen is a bit of a problem. His form does nit merit him batting at 6. You cant pick someone at 6 in the hope he might get some runs. Each time he fails there he is putting added pressure on the likes of Buttler, woakes, Broad etc to get them to the target total.

I'm sure Moeen thinks of himself as a batsmen first but has clearly been working on his bowling a lot possibly at the expense of his batting. Its inconceivable that we would be considering going into the Ashes with Moeen as the frontline spinner unless the coaches do a helluva lot of work with him over the winter on his game while also looking very carefully at other spinning options.

His bowling against India almost does justify his selection alone, and it's not like England are spoiled for choice in the spin department.

You could drop him down the order and have a fast bowling all rounder, such as an in form Stokes or Woakes, coming in at 7 with Butler at 6.

Although that's putting quite a lot of pressure on the new gloveman.

It is quite a conundrum for England as I think they have to pick him for his bowling now.

Its a bit like when one of the bowlers that comes into the side turns out to be quite handy with the bat gets a fifty odd but disappoints with the ball and goes for 5 an over and no wickets. Latterly, Bresnan was bit a like that. The question is would that bowler get picked again ? Like you, I think they may persevere with him at 6 and hope he improves. In some ways its now a pity theres a rash of limited over stuff where i think he will feature.

Edited by houstonspider

Hales has also been in good nick in the four day stuff, i'd have him in the Test side for Robson who is as dull as it gets.

Unfortunately Sam Robson just doesn't appear to have it. His technique isn't great and he has gotten worse as the summer has progressed.

Hales would be an opener who would most closely resemble Banger in playing style and would be worth a try.

On the Ali debate I feel that he really has to work hard on his game over the coming few months as although his bowling has been a great bonus he is primarily a batsmen and needs to improve, though he is worth persevering with.

At least the test summer has finished with a great deal of promise for the future, especially considering how things looked a few months ago.

England have not had that Trescothick type opener for a while now. Opening bowlers must have genuinely feared bowling to him at the start of an innings when he eas in his pomp due to his ability to take them on from the word go. I think the selectors thought Carberry might have brought that to the side. The Windies would be the place to try Hales where the hard pitches and ball coming on quick should suit his game. I think a contrast at the top of the order might be good. The strategy over recent times has been to field quite defensive opening pairs featuring players like Compton and Robson.

Birmingham Bears win the T20 Blast.

The Bears scored 181-5 and Lancashire got very close to the target with Flintoff hitting 2 sixes of the last 2 balls of the 19th over but Woakes bowled a good last over to see the Bears win by 4 runs.