The Cricket Thread

bewlay

BTW the regular posters on this thread are brilliant. I've often asked 'obvious' questions and they've been replied to with great courtesy.

England need to get 367 to avoid follow on. The 300 benchmark is more to do with how long it should take them to get there and even with a follow on, they can save the game by batting out most if not the rest of the match

Fact of day - Bell's 5th dismissal this year for 1. Tied record for a year

Point proven. Thanks, china.

Question. Where did you learn your cricket? Not in Motherwell I'd guess?

Hey!

Plenty decent club cricketers came out Home Park,Motherwell.

Until the Scheme Goblins burned the Clubhouse down.

Army Brat. Auld man umpired a lot of games where I at times filled in as 11th, 12th scorekeeper (different coloured pens and all). Mainly in the Hampshire Leagues.

Of course there was school

Army Brat. Auld man umpired a lot of games where I at times filled in as 11th, 12th scorekeeper (different coloured pens and all). Mainly in the Hampshire Leagues. Of course there was school

I was seeing this girl from Berkshire a few years back whose maw was a regular scorekeeper for the local village side. Her charts were a work of art.

So I'm guessing that your auld man was the Motherwell fan?

Have been at all Scotland's games in the 2020 qualifiers so far, and will be at the Oman game tomorrow. Also took in the Dutch against Canada today, as Goldenacre is a short walk from my house.

Thoughts so far:

Scotland have plenty of batting. Munsey is a great find, his 12 ball 33 against Canada, albeit a weak bowling side, was superb, as was his innings against UAE. Coetzer and Mommsen have played fairly well, Cross and Berrington are solid, McLeod is a good player but is incapable of resisting the urge to try flashy reverse sweeps or unorthodox scoop shots, which tend to be his undoing, as against Canada yesterday. Batting-wise, Scotland are as good as any of the other associates at the moment, including Ireland.

However, the Scotland bowling is rank rotten. A bunch of trundlers barely fast enough to constitute 'medium' pace and indifferent spin options. Losing Haq after the World Cup affair was unfortunate, he was one of the few bowlers that could be relied upon to exert some control at this level. Fielding the inexperienced Watt in the crucial games against Afghanistan and the Netherlands was a mistake. He was ruthlessly taken apart by both teams.

Judging by Oman's results to date, the game tomorrow could go either way. It would be disastrous if Scotland missed out on a top 4 place in a qualifying group on home soil, but our tendency to lose the important games (Afghanistan and the Netherlands invariably tend to beat us when it matters - in fairness the Afghans are a better all-round team than us, The Netherlands are a similar side to us, stronger in batting than bowling) has left us vulnerable. There is no doubt that the Irish have benefitted from a much easier group, but Scotland, with their current level of batting firepower, will have no excuses if they go out.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a Kenya win against the Dutch. The Dutch, who were cruising along at just under 15 an over for the first seven overs against the Canadians today, should have too much batting for Kenya, and the Kenyan fielding was a rung below abject against Scotland.

I think we might just sneak it tomorrow, and if we do, we should qualify for the main tournament.

What's up with Gavin Main? Him and the reserve WK are the only guys who haven't played and from what I understand he's a bit livelier than the rest of our "attack".

eta: Ireland lost to Hong Kong today- they'll still make the playoffs and almost certainly qualify but they've made a pigs ear of a fairly easy group.

Edited by Fuctifano

That the game with all the nastiness?

That would be the one, yes.

What's up with Gavin Main? Him and the reserve WK are the only guys who haven't played and from what I understand he's a bit livelier than the rest of our "attack".

I played with Gavin at school level, very tidy and quick bowler. We played Bellahouston in a game and a batsman came in without wearing a box. Needless to say first ball he gets caught flush off the scrotum. That was the last we saw of him. I think we bowled them out for 18 that game.

I was seeing this girl from Berkshire a few years back whose maw was a regular scorekeeper for the local village side. Her charts were a work of art.

So I'm guessing that your auld man was the Motherwell fan?

I always to seven different coloured gel pens with me. Remember moaning that one team used 8 bowlers so had use a normal black pen...

Yeah, family from Motherwell

Army Brat. Auld man umpired a lot of games where I at times filled in as 11th, 12th scorekeeper (different coloured pens and all). Mainly in the Hampshire Leagues. Of course there was school

I used to score for Drumpellier in the SNCL. I was a 'patron of the pens' as such. All different colours. I loved the intricacy of keeping a neat scorebook.

I used to score for Drumpellier in the SNCL. I was a 'patron of the pens' as such. All different colours. I loved the intricacy of keeping a neat scorebook.

It's a work of art.

Still, who'd have thunk that Lanarkshire was such a cricketing hot-bed?

It's a work of art.

Still, who'd have thunk that Lanarkshire was such a cricketing hot-bed?

Not any more. Its slowly dying out in the west, with a complete lack of interest, lack of good facilities, backing etc. In years gone by us at Drumpellier would have 50 or 60 kids running about on a Thursday night at training, now we have no youth set up at all pretty much. The people at the top of the game in Scotland just politely ignore the fact and continue to use cricket in Edinburgh as an example, where they've got Grange, Heriot's etc. continuing with massive corporate backing while we in the west just have to have our cake and eat it. It was only twenty years ago that Drumpellier got to the Scottish Cup final (and won) at Hamilton Crescent in front of a crowd of a few thousand, now theres only about five people that would go and watch the game.

It really is on its knees, its time for the people who matter to take note and take steps to fix it.

Is Lyth the answer?

He's another Sam Robson/Ed Smith/Blob Key - well above average County guy who is just not quite good enough for the step up.

I'm much more concerned about number 3 than opener, though. The next opener will come in after the Ashes until they find someone capable.

You used to see spectators at test matches keeping their own score book,I don't know if this still happens.

You used to see spectators at test matches keeping their own score book,I don't know if this still happens.

I was at a Hampshire T20 in May and the woman sitting in front of me was doing. She gave up five overs into the second innings in favour of scoring her cider.

Not any more. Its slowly dying out in the west, with a complete lack of interest, lack of good facilities, backing etc. In years gone by us at Drumpellier would have 50 or 60 kids running about on a Thursday night at training, now we have no youth set up at all pretty much. The people at the top of the game in Scotland just politely ignore the fact and continue to use cricket in Edinburgh as an example, where they've got Grange, Heriot's etc. continuing with massive corporate backing while we in the west just have to have our cake and eat it. It was only twenty years ago that Drumpellier got to the Scottish Cup final (and won) at Hamilton Crescent in front of a crowd of a few thousand, now theres only about five people that would go and watch the game.

It really is on its knees, its time for the people who matter to take note and take steps to fix it.

When I was at uni I lived virtually next door to the West of Scotland ground ( Rangers used to train their long-term injured guys there too and I remember Seb Rozenthal showing ridiculous cricket skills ) and I went along every other weekend. Cheap beer and a good relaxing day. I ended up meeting a whole load of the future test players -Adam Gilchrist, Neil Mackenzie, etc, and a few others. These guys were the club pro, and half their time was spent doing P.R stuff. It was excellent. Cricket Scotland are really missing a trick if these things are dying out.

When I was at uni I lived virtually next door to the West of Scotland ground ( Rangers used to train their long-term injured guys there too and I remember Seb Rozenthal showing ridiculous cricket skills ) and I went along every other weekend. Cheap beer and a good relaxing day. I ended up meeting a whole load of the future test players -Adam Gilchrist, Neil Mackenzie, etc, and a few others. These guys were the club pro, and half their time was spent doing P.R stuff. It was excellent. Cricket Scotland are really missing a trick if these things are dying out.

They died out years ago. The last big pro that was in Scotland was probably Mike Hussey in 2001. Its now pretty much jobbers with First Class/ListA experience that come for £5/6k for four months work. The issue that goes with this is that the guys that come over will be hellluva up themselves - example Matt McEwan who was an utter knob. At Drumpellier we've been lucky to get some classy players who were also very good guys that not many will have heard of, Syed Shahabuddin played IPL for the Mumbai Indians, Jeeva Kulatunga has played ODI for Sri Lanka and the boy we've got this season is a very good player - Sudesh Fernando from Sri Lanka.

Root will or at least should be England's long term #3.

Trevor Bayliss was my coach as a (young) junior at West of Scotland when he was pro there in 1989-90. Obviously his career has gone downhill from then. Certainly in the mid 90s West were fielding under 12,13, 15, and 18 sides plus 3 adult teams, would be surprised if it's anything like that now.