The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Just now, Boo Khaki said:

Finally a win over a Test playing nation when it actually counts for something.

You have to think the Windies will still roll most of their other games, so Scotland really should be thinking about winning the group from here.

Did you forget about the win over a test playing nation we had in the first game of the same competition last year?

I have to say, I really was not expecting that. I thought we would be undercooked having hardly played the format since the last World Cup. That was absolutely superb though.

2 other test nations to come, it’s still a tough task but that’s the ideal start. 

2 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Did you forget about the win over a test playing nation we had in the first game of the same competition last year?

I have to say, I really was not expecting that. I thought we would be undercooked having hardly played the format since the last World Cup. That was absolutely superb though.

2 other test nations to come, it’s still a tough task but that’s the ideal start. 

Whichever player was just interviewed said exactly that.  He thought they were undercooked as well. 

6 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I don't really consider Bangladesh, Ireland, Afghanistan etc genuine 'Test playing' nations because they don't really have any pedigree at that level over and above Scotland. Honourable mention to Bangladesh for a couple of memorable results recently, but I'm sure if Scotland had made the jump 20 years ago we'd have been able to spend two decades routinely being thumped by all and sundry before finally hitting a hot patch. We thump Ireland regularly in ICC games, but that doesn't feel like an achievement either because it's self-evident we're the stronger team and have been for a while.

What I should have said is probably 'a win over a Test playing nation of long standing'. I think it's clear that the radio chaps see it the same way as they keep comparing this to the ODI victory over England rather than beating Bangladesh. As much as it was great to beat England in a legit game, this is much more significant for me because we've gone and beaten a 'big' cricket nation in a tournament game.

5 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I don't really consider Bangladesh, Ireland, Afghanistan etc genuine 'Test playing' nations because they don't really have any pedigree at that level over and above Scotland. Honourable mention to Bangladesh for a couple of memorable results recently, but I'm sure if Scotland had made the jump 20 years ago we'd have been able to spend two decades routinely being thumped by all and sundry before finally hitting a hot patch. We thump Ireland regularly in ICC games, but that doesn't feel like an achievement either because it's self-evident we're the stronger team and have been for a while.

What I should have said is probably 'a win over a Test playing nation of long standing'. I think it's clear that the radio chaps see it the same way as they keep comparing this to the ODI victory over England rather than beating Bangladesh. As much as it was great to beat England in a legit game, this is much more significant for me because we've gone and beaten a 'big' cricket nation in a tournament game.

Whilst I get your overall point, Bangladesh came in to last year’s world cup having just recorded T20 series wins over New Zealand and Australia. That result was every bit as much of an upset as this one is. I’m not taking anything away from today, though, it’s a superb result. 

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Whilst I get your overall point, Bangladesh came in to last year’s world cup having just recorded T20 series wins over New Zealand and Australia. That result was every bit as much of an upset as this one is. I’m not taking anything away from today, though, it’s a superb result. 

Aye, I think this is the time to be following it up though. We need to be taking consistent steps forward if we're ever going to be anything more than an associate nation, so I'd like to see them build on this, win the group, and go and grab at least one win in the Super 12. Losing to Namibia last year was a real downer. No shame in the one-off result in itself, but it meant that the feeling coming away from the tournament was one of a bit of a let down rather than feeling like we'd made a statement by beating Bangladesh.

I'm not suggesting we should be walloping all of the other associate nations to the point whereby we're clearly out of their league, that's just not the nature of short-format cricket, but at some point we have to prove we've genuinely elevated ourselves if we really want to be taken seriously, so it's important to back results like this up. It would be fantastic to go and scalp one of the top 8 in the Super 12, as that feels like the next rung on the ladder.

I didn’t have much hope at all for us winning any games in this group. What a start.

Hopefully Windies can wipe the floor with the other two. I presume that will have our net run rate in a healthy state so one more win should see us through?

Aye, we’ve been very good at limiting the amount of boundaries they are hitting compared to the amount we got during these overs. Plus now starting to pick up wickets.

Really should be a comfortable win.

Mon the Zimbabwe.