The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Great result again given the position we were in. Obviously would prefer our top order to get some runs but at least the lower order have some experience and confidence going into the big matches. 

UAE are out and Ireland need to beat Sri Lanka, so I'd say we're through. The next 2 games are for the points that will be carried forward, realistically we're going to need 4 wins from 5 against Oman, Sri Lanka, Windies, Zimbabwe and Netherlands/Nepal to qualify. Unlikely but as said last week a success would be making the super 6 so it's pretty much a free hit from here!

Scotland finish 320 all out after 50 overs against Oman. McMullan was outstanding. It’s a great total but it feels like we could have got close to the 350 mark if we didn’t lose so many wickets in the last 10 overs.

1 minute ago, PB1994 said:

Scotland finish 320 all out after 50 overs against Oman. McMullan was outstanding. It’s a great total but it feels like we could have got close to the 350 mark if we didn’t lose so many wickets in the last 10 overs.

Still a very good effort and will take some chasing. McMullan and Berrington both exellent and Mackintosh and Watt had good wee knocks at the end.

Comfortable win over Oman but really could have done with finishing them off earlier in case NRR ends up coming into it. 

As said we're likely to have to beat at least 3 of Sri Lanka, West Indies, Zimbabwe and Netherlands to qualify which is a long shot but at least we made it to the super 6 stage. 

Windies seem to be in a bit of a mess but it would still be a shock to get a result against them. I just don’t see any way we get a result against Sri Lanka or Zimbabwe. If we beat the Netherlands and end up losing the other three it still has to go down as a successful campaign.

3 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Windies seem to be in a bit of a mess but it would still be a shock to get a result against them. I just don’t see any way we get a result against Sri Lanka or Zimbabwe. If we beat the Netherlands and end up losing the other three it still has to go down as a successful campaign.

It’s quite clearly a closed shop, whereas t20 is pretty much a free for all to anyone who wants to play, it’s almost impossible for Scotland (or Ireland, or the Netherlands) to get through this group.

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s quite clearly a closed shop, whereas t20 is pretty much a free for all to anyone who wants to play, it’s almost impossible for Scotland (or Ireland, or the Netherlands) to get through this group.

Absolutely, they have no interest in letting other nations crash the party and taking a proper share of the cash.

8 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

The ICC can always be relied upon to ensure that international cricket is a closed shop. They always pander to the elite - a 10 team World Cup is a absoute nonsense. The governing bodies of every other sport (to my knowledge) try to increase their sport’s global appeal, spread and inclusivity. The ICC does the opposite. It restricts access to its most prestigious and lucrative competitions to a small number of elite nations.

However, we’re not even remotely in the same bracket as Ireland, who by virtue of their permanent ODI status (Scotland only has temporary ODI status) and Test status, are guaranteed a stacked fixture list and huge amounts of money. Scotland have to be content with the crumbs off the table. Outwith qualifiers such as these (which we have to pre-qualify for), we have to content ourselves with occasional home warm up matches against visiting full members, who are invariably coming in to the UK to play England, to supplement our regular-ish diet of matches against other cash-starved associate nations.

By virtue of their permanent ODI status, Ireland have a further 45 ODI matches guaranteed against full members until 2027. I attend the majority of Scotland’s home matches, and I honestly couldn’t tell you the next ODI (apart from these current qualifiers) that Scotland have lined up against a full member. There’s nothing on the Cricket Scotland website or Cricinfo. (We do have the 20/20 qualifiers to look forward to in July, with matches against Jersey, Denmark, Italy, Austria, Germany and Ireland).

In 2022 we played one full member - New Zealand - at the Grange in Edinburgh. In 2021 and 2020 we played no full members (although our two matches against fellow associate the Netherlands in 2021 were afforded ODI status). In 2019, we played two ODIs against full members - one each against Afghanistan and Sri Lanka, both at the Grange. You have to go back to the last World Cup qualifiers (also in Zimbabwe), in 2018, to find the last time we played a full member in an ODI outside of Scotland. (Note: We also played England at the Grange in 2018, and beat them). 

The Scottish cricket team is so cash-strapped that they couldn’t even afford to take the team’s performance analyst to these qualifiers in Zimbabwe, and have to rely on Zoom calls for team briefings. The fact that we’ve competed so well is a miracle, and no thanks are attributable to the ICC, or the full members of the cartel that they oversee.

International cricket has always been a closed shop, and Scotland have always been on the outside looking in. In fact the ICC’s proposed new revenue distribution model (for the 2024-27 cycle) will see the 12 full members divvy up 88.81% of its distributed revenues (with 38.5% going to India alone), with the remainder (11.19%) being divided between the 94 associates, an even more imbalanced model than we’ve seen to date, entrenching the hegemony of the elite, starving the associates of much-needed revenue, and further stalling what is laughably referred to in cricket circles as ‘the growth of the game’.

Proposed ICC revenue model 2024-27

Edited by Frankie S

If i had off the scale wealth i'd put millions/billions into scottish cricket just for a laugh. You'd never see a return on it money wise, but having seen how financially tinpot Scots cricket is at all levels despite it being arguably our #2 sport, it would give me an enormous sense of satisfaction to know that more teams had proper kit, better playing fields, sight screens, a bit of actual coaching and so on.

I walked past Leith Franklin playing a match the other day on a council pitch that has a concrete and tarmac path running right through it. Its not in the outfield either, from one end the Point fielder is usually on the opposite side of it from the batsman. I saw some sights in terms of shitty playing conditions back in the 80's and 90's but nothing as ridiculous as that. Beggars belief that there is so much enthusiasm for cricket in Scotland yet its played in 3rd world conditions.

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

If i had off the scale wealth i'd put millions/billions into scottish cricket just for a laugh. You'd never see a return on it money wise, but having seen how financially tinpot Scots cricket is at all levels despite it being arguably our #2 sport, it would give me an enormous sense of satisfaction to know that more teams had proper kit, better playing fields, sight screens, a bit of actual coaching and so on.

I walked past Leith Franklin playing a match the other day on a council pitch that has a concrete and tarmac path running right through it. Its not in the outfield either, from one end the Point fielder is usually on the opposite side of it from the batsman. I saw some sights in terms of shitty playing conditions back in the 80's and 90's but nothing as ridiculous as that. Beggars belief that there is so much enthusiasm for cricket in Scotland yet its played in 3rd world conditions.

Dundee's Lochee Park took a fair bit of beating when it came to the vagaries of Scottish Cricket!

30 minutes ago, VillaKnollBoy said:

Dundee's Lochee Park took a fair bit of beating when it came to the vagaries of Scottish Cricket!

Freezing cauld showers and wheeching dog dirt off the square were the one constant.

They council rendered the lower-most pitch unplayable by deciding to cut the strips perpendicular to the direction they'd always been. That was a belter.

Cannae beat cricket on a 1 in 3 slope in Kirriemuir for tinpottedness though.

Edited by Boo Khaki

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Freezing cauld showers and wheeching dog dirt off the square were the one constant.

They council rendered the lower-most pitch unplayable by deciding to cut the strips perpendicular to the direction they'd always been. That was a belter.

Cannae beat cricket on a 1 in 3 slope in Kirriemuir for tinpottedness though.

My club doesn’t even have running water or electricity. Showers would be a dream!