The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I haven't seen a replay yet and have now switched to the Scotland build up but if Stokes had left that catch at the end was there not someone behind him who would have been running onto it? Wouldn't have been a sitter but always easier moving forward and you can't expect him not to go for it. 

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Not quite.

Definitely the early declaration and some of the bowling decisions - the dropped catches and missed stumpings were the fault of others.

That’s true, but there were a lot of questionable decisions made by Stokes that would have just tipped out the other way, imo. 

1 minute ago, Fuctifano said:

I haven't seen a replay yet and have now switched to the Scotland build up but if Stokes had left that catch at the end was there not someone behind him who would have been running onto it? Wouldn't have been a sitter but always easier moving forward and you can't expect him not to go for it. 

Nah, I think it would have been 5-10 yards short of the man out. 

What an incredible test match, ebbed and flowed constantly with periods both sides looking the more likely to win it, still think the first day declaration by England was an error, called it at the time, I thought when Green and Khawaja both dragged it onto the stumps with Australia needing between 60 and 90 for the fall of both wickets that was the game for England right there but kudos to Nathan Lyon and Pat Cummings in particular, an outstanding knock from the skipper, delivering with the bat big time after a huge contribution with the ball in England's second innings, some truly bizarre decisions from Stokes cost England big time, aside from the declaration persisting with the old ball once Root took out Alex Carey was utterly baffling, by the time Broad took the new ball he was toiling  the footage of him after he bowled his last over, barely able to stand up straight summed it up, thoroughly deserved for Australia. 

21 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Stokes lost England that test

Their fans with typewriters (or whatever the modern equivalent is) are gonna go nuts about the First Innings declaration and whether Bairstow should be retained as wicketkeeper ahead of Foakes, I've even heard mention if Stokes can't bowl a full stint he should be dropped.

It'll be interesting to see how England fare if they can't even up over the second or third Tests - The Ashes are high profile/pressure as a few England captains have found out before.

Edited by btb

Could have gone either way, that one. Don't mind the general philosophy of what McCullum and Stokes are doing, but if they lose this series 5-0 with each test being a 2 wicket or 10/15 run defeat then how long will fans swallow it?

Scotland under way tomorrow early doors.

Utterly baffled as to why England delayed taking the new ball. That should be debated more than the early declaration imo. As it turned out with the weather the only reason the match didn't end in an almost certain draw was down to the declaration. 

They had enough opportunities to win the game despite the weird declaration, although it was still a dumb decision for me. If that was meant to show some bravado and scare the aussies, it didn't work.

I love watching the lower order cobble together the last 20-30 runs for a win. I've been in a few of those as a tail ender and it's great fun, especially the batter at the other end shitting themselves that I'll do something stupid.

1 hour ago, rowsdower said:

I've been in a few of those as a tail ender and it's great fun, especially the batter at the other end shitting themselves that I'll do something stupid.

I've been in just that position as a number 11, the batter at the other end trying anything to get a single off the last bowl of the over.

Amazing game today, I know everyone will focus on the declaration but to me not taking the new ball was a more obvious error

1 minute ago, SamuraiJock said:

Incredible test match and lovely to think of the 4 tests still to come.

England got to be a bit worried after losing on a bazball designed flat track and in a game where Smith and Labuschagne provided nothing.

Was going to say this. Batted in mostly sunshine, had some cloud cover and dampness to help the swing bowlers when fielding, and still couldn't beat an Australian side where the best two batters didn't trouble the scorers. Only Broad continuing to have the Indian sign over Warner for England to take as a positive.

10 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Was going to say this. Batted in mostly sunshine, had some cloud cover and dampness to help the swing bowlers when fielding, and still couldn't beat an Australian side where the best two batters didn't trouble the scorers. Only Broad continuing to have the Indian sign over Warner for England to take as a positive.

Also very telling that Anderson wasn't given the ball when England desperately needed a wicket in that last hour, seemingly he has admitted himself a combination of niggling injuries and time catching up with him have been a factor in his average at best performance here.

With Stokes and Ali both being less than 100% for various reasons, I'd imagine England will almost certainly bring in a fresh bowler for Lords next week. 

I really enjoy the whole Bazball philosophy, and I’m a big fan of Stokes (despite wanting England to lose!) but think it's also fair to criticise the declaration. You don't need to declare there to do the other parts that gave them a chance of winning the game. Lets say England put another 50 on in 7 overs and then Australians start their first innings from first ball of day 2, a winning result is obviously still a possibility from that point.

I’m intrigued whether the decision to declare was a gut feeling, an example of the type of strategy they’ll always go for, or data driven (i.e. the expected runs Australia would lose out on from a wicket that evening would outweigh the expected runs England would have got carrying on a little longer). If it had been overcast or a seamers pitch, and/or Root hadn’t been in I think would have been a decent idea.

Edited by The Holiday Song

1 hour ago, The Holiday Song said:

I really enjoy the whole Bazball philosophy, and I’m a big fan of Stokes (despite wanting England to lose!) but think it's also fair to criticise the declaration. You don't need to declare there to do the other parts that gave them a chance of winning the game. Lets say England put another 50 on in 7 overs and then Australians start their first innings day from first ball of day 2, a winning result is obviously still a possibility from that point.

I’m intrigued whether the decision to declare was a gut feeling, an example of the type of strategy they’ll always go for, or data driven (i.e. the expected runs Australia would lose out on from a wicket that evening would outweigh the expected runs England would have got carrying on a little longer). If it had been overcast or a seamers pitch, and/or Root hadn’t been in I think would have been a decent idea.

Sounds almost like a premeditated plan. Don't mean to cross-polinate the different sport threads but there was a trend in rugby a few years back where the coach would make wholesale pre-planned changes at the 60 minute mark. It seemed bizarre to me - a guy could be having the game of his life, winning every breakdown, dominating the set piece etc and yet he'd be brought off because it was a pre-set switch. Similarly here, had it been the tail or people in no great shape or there was massive swing or whatever then a declaration seems fine. In those conditions, with those batters? Seems odd. 

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

150-5 now, let them off the hook. It's on sky sports as well 

In a bit of trouble now chasing 287.

Not sure how Sharif gets 9 overs with figures of 0-56 when McMullan only gets 7 with figures of 5-34 ?

Edited by FuzzyBear