The Cricket Thread

bewlay

If there's one team (besides England) you can bank on for a loltastic result at a major tournament, it's the Saffers.

Grats to the Netherlands. 

Just grates a bit that every single "diddy" side in world cricket seems to be capable of coming up with a tournament result v's Test playing opponents with the exception of Scotland.

Edited by Boo Khaki

54 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

If there's one team (besides England) you can bank on for a loltastic result at a major tournament, it's the Saffers.

Just grates a bit that every single "diddy" side in world cricket seems to be capable of coming up with a tournament result v's Test playing opponents with the exception of Scotland.

It's just isn't in cricket with Scotland. Football, rugby!!

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Other than West Indies at the last T20 World Cup, or Bangladesh at the one before, or West Indies, Zimbabwe and Ireland at the qualifying tournament for this one. Apart from those 5 in the last 3 years, it’s none at all. 

36 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Other than West Indies at the last T20 World Cup, or Bangladesh at the one before, or West Indies, Zimbabwe and Ireland at the qualifying tournament for this one. Apart from those 5 in the last 3 years, it’s none at all. 

Bangladesh game was in the First round, not really the tournament proper, and WI I'll grant you, though I don't really consider T20 cricket to be serious international cricket in the same way that 50 over format is. I clearly wasn't talking about Qualifier wins either 😛

24 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Bangladesh game was in the First round, not really the tournament proper, and WI I'll grant you, though I don't really consider T20 cricket to be serious international cricket in the same way that 50 over format is. I clearly wasn't talking about Qualifier wins either 😛

In fairness, the qualifier should count too in this as it's a tough tournament in itself due to only 10 countries being at this World Cup. I've never agreed with only 10 countries at the WC and am glad it gets expanded to 14. Scotland have shown they deserve to be at this stage too. IMO, both The Netherlands and Scotland should be in with a shout of becoming full members with how both have consistently shown to not be any worse than the lesser full members.

1 minute ago, Marten said:

In fairness, the qualifier should count too in this as it's a tough tournament in itself due to only 10 countries being at this World Cup. I've never agreed with only 10 countries at the WC and am glad it gets expanded to 14. Scotland have shown they deserve to be at this stage too. IMO, both The Netherlands and Scotland should be in with a shout of becoming full members with how both have consistently shown to not be any worse than the lesser full members.

For the most part I agree, however, the one remaining thing for Scotland to do is beat a Test playing nation at a 50 over World Cup Finals, something they have never managed. Which was the obvious point of my other post despite Statto there trying to undermine it 😛

Kiwis plodding along but are up to 210-4 with 6 overs to go, 100 partnership from Phillips and Latham.

The Afghans have put down 4 catches, 2 tough chances but 2 absolute dollies that would have got Latham out and brought someone new to the crease at a point where NZ need to be going hard.

Edited by peasy23

Hasn't been many games this tourney where teams have been able to score big early, but the Aussies are off to a flyer against Pakistan. Despite Afridi bowling 16 dot balls in a row, it's been party time at the other end as Warner and Marsh are swinging hard. 82-0 from the first 10 overs, Haris Rauf came on to replace Afridi and got leathered for 24 from his first over.

Fair play to Pakistan, have hung in there and reined the Aussies in a bit in the second half of the innings. Started to turn things around when Marsh went for 128 then Maxwell came and went for 0 next ball. Afridi has a deserved 5 wicket haul as Australia finish on 367-9, way short of what they looked like getting.