The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Well, I imagine today will be a case of Rogers getting his ton, then him Bailey, Haddin and Johnson opening up the shoulders and getting a 500 lead as quick as they like.

Pop the hapless poms back on and let Harris and Mitch run wild with the new ball.

I'm going with England 5 down by the close.

Yes, so 18 months time. And then 2016/17 after than.

No. this winter the ashes was brought forward to suit england who didnt want to play ashes and the world cup same winter. the current ashes was supposed to be next winter. always thought that thinking was flawed. next ashes is 2017 season i think.

The only England player I can think of with that has had any coaching role since they became a bit good is the King of Spain. And I think even he has moved on to a bigger role now.

I don't think Australia is much better to be honest.

It must just be far easier to bitch and moan about what is happening than actually try to do something to improve things.

Think ENG went backwards in ODI cricket since giles took over. They were no 1 at that point and also rans again now. They need someone to inject pride and hunger as opposed to letting players rest on their central contract laurels. dont recall the core aussie world beaters slacking over 10+ years but the ENG team has fractures since peter moores gate that have not been mended.

I would dump kp and rebuild.

Strauss got a bit lucky in getting the "early days" of the first solid team for years,

Vaughan's team was the best England team of the past 20 years.

but some of Atherton, Gooch and Hussain's teams were risibly bad.

Hussain dragged the whole England set up out of the 70s and into the noughties. Hussain built the platform that Vaughan and Strauss were able to build on. He did not have the strongest of teams but was one of the most important figures in English cricket in the past 50 years.

Agree about Hussain, him and Fletcher were instrumental in turning England round from bottom of the test rankings in 1999 (as bad as England are now, they're nowhere near that) to being able to compete against everyone bar a ridiculous Aussie team - central contracts etc. Also left at the right time.

History would suggest that Cook will carry on as captain until the end of 2017 when a 36 year old Graeme Smith forces his 4th England captain to resign (having previously accounted for Hussain 03, Vaughan 08 and Strauss 12).

Vaughan's team was the best England team of the past 20 years.

Hussain dragged the whole England set up out of the 70s and into the noughties. Hussain built the platform that Vaughan and Strauss were able to build on. He did not have the strongest of teams but was one of the most important figures in English cricket in the past 50 years.

Apologies, absurdly i'd completely forgotten about Vaughan. Some of his unorthodox field placings were works of genius, and the 2005 side were absolutely superb.

Apologies, absurdly i'd completely forgotten about Vaughan. Some of his unorthodox field placings were works of genius, and the 2005 side were absolutely superb.

Of course one of the key men of that series was the explosive Simon Jones who had the ability to reverse swing an old tattie. Vaughan was blessed with a wonderful varied attack who had the ability to take a wicket when it was needed. He was however a tremendous captain and was always looking to attack. It's a shame his injuries took his toll as when he was at his peak he was incredible to watch.