The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I grew up with Benaud commentating on Test cricket before the days of Sky and he definitely played a big part in educating me in the finer nuances of the game.

Same for me, growing up in the 80s he was the voice of cricket in the same way that Bill McLaren was the voice of rugby. RIP.

Sad news.

His principled stand against cricket being on subscription TV stood him out as a true Cricket man.

Although you could say he helped destroy traditional cricket by selling out to Packer.

Either way though, one of the great concept commentators of any sport. Will be much missed.

One of the finest commentators around. I'm another who was hooked by cricket pre Sky and learned much from Benaud.

Heard on the news Tony Abbott has offered the family state funeral

Indeed. What little I know about cricket all stems from his commentary on the BBC and then Channel 4.

i know it's been a few weeks since the Cricket World Cup, the orange t-shirts, catch a million dollars, does anybody know how many winners there were? Never heard and couldn't find anything after a quick internet search.

i know it's been a few weeks since the Cricket World Cup, the orange t-shirts, catch a million dollars, does anybody know how many winners there were? Never heard and couldn't find anything after a quick internet search.

I believe there were 7, sharing just over $100k each (£50k) as with NZ being runners up the prize pot was $750k. Not bad, although the t-shirts themselves were $30 so Tui would have probably made it back and more. I went to 6 games and a ball never came within 50 yards of me right enough, even at the wee grounds.

West Indies rather surprisingly (seemingly) put England into bat. Trott opening with Cook, Tredwell preferred to Rachid. The rest as you'd expect.

ETA I only just learned Bob Willis changed his middle name to Dylan by deed poll because he's such a fan of Bob Dylan. He's still a dull old sod, but he's got good taste.

Edited by Savage Henry

I believe there were 7, sharing just over $100k each (£50k) as with NZ being runners up the prize pot was $750k. Not bad, although the t-shirts themselves were $30 so Tui would have probably made it back and more. I went to 6 games and a ball never came within 50 yards of me right enough, even at the wee grounds.

Cheers for your reply Fuctifano. £50k not a bad lift, well done to the prize winners.

Half a dozen of us once a year go down to Chester Le Street to watch a Durham one day game and a weekend away. Think it was Lancashire 2003 a six landed just along from us. One of the boys, the most unsporty of us pipes up, "if that was at me i would of caught it" Two balls later, a six comes straight at him. Never seen a man moves so quick. Never spilt his pint though.

Yup. Moored is clearly out of his depth.

Thought Sky were seriously out of kilter spending half the lunch interval taking the piss out of Nasser Hussain, albeit amusingly, while Test March Special had a Richie Beneaud tribute.