The Cricket Thread

bewlay

39 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Seen a lot of Australians commenting that he has to go and Cricket Australia should make the decision for him. I can't really see how he can continue.

It's an offence that barely registers with the ICC code of conduct.  I think Smith would argue quite strongly that an offence which carries a 5 run penalty is no reason to get the tin tack. 

I've played with guys who ball tampered at every opportunity.  Not excusing it but just because a camera caught it happening doesn't make it more or less serious than every other incident. 

If Smith goes it will be because they wanted to fire him anyway. That wouldn't be a surprise - he's always struck me as a weirdo. His routine before facing every ball is enough for me to want him sacked. Touch right pad, touch left pad, re-rack stanes - every fucking ball. Even then only after he's had his walk. Freak. Can bat right enough. 

It's an offence that barely registers with the ICC code of conduct.  I think Smith would argue quite strongly that an offence which carries a 5 run penalty is no reason to get the tin tack. 
I've played with guys who ball tampered at every opportunity.  Not excusing it but just because a camera caught it happening doesn't make it more or less serious than every other incident. 
If Smith goes it will be because they wanted to fire him anyway. That wouldn't be a surprise - he's always struck me as a weirdo. His routine before facing every ball is enough for me to want him sacked. Touch right pad, touch left pad, re-rack stanes - every fucking ball. Even then only after he's had his walk. Freak. Can bat right enough. 
The fact that he knew about it and it was a pre planned move by the team makes a big difference though. It wasn't just a spur of the moment thing thought up by an individual.

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:
6 hours ago, HTG said:

The fact that he knew about it and it was a pre planned move by the team makes a big difference though. It wasn't just a spur of the moment thing thought up by an individual.

Aye it's not good. The point I'm making is that ball tampering often is pre-meditated in so much as players will do it at every turn given the chance. I've played with a few overseas pros who wanted the ball given to them during every reasonable break in play. It wasn't a tactic, it was a culture for them. 

Aye it's not good. The point I'm making is that ball tampering often is pre-meditated in so much as players will do it at every turn given the chance. I've played with a few overseas pros who wanted the ball given to them during every reasonable break in play. It wasn't a tactic, it was a culture for them. 
Ball-tampering: Steve Smith must go, says Australian government agency - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43530908

Meanwhile across The Ditch Joe Root should have retired hurt after the ball smashed his finger against the bat. He decided to carry on with 2 balls left in the day’s play and was out next ball for 51.

J E Root, great talent, never in a million years a Captain.  

In the ICC final WI are being pumped by Afghanistan.  They are currently 108-5 with Holder comically run out without facing a ball.  Quite enjoying watching 19 year old Rashid Khan bowl and he has became the fasted to take 100 ODI wickets.   

In the ICC final WI are being pumped by Afghanistan.  They are currently 108-5 with Holder comically run out without facing a ball.  Quite enjoying watching 19 year old Rashid Khan bowl and he has became the fasted to take 100 ODI wickets.   

They seemed to be grooming him for captaincy for a long time. It seems like they made the decision that he would be captain after Cook and that was that.

Just now, Jmothecat2 said:

They seemed to be grooming him for captaincy for a long time. It seems like they made the decision that he would be captain after Cook and that was that.

Absolutely, just like a lot of their choices over the last few years it was a poor one.  Some guys thrive as Captain but you can see he isn't right for it.   I would have went for Buttler as both him and Bairstow are good enough to play as batsman, especially in this outfit.

We are approaching a summer series against Pakistan with still the same issues unresolved from two years ago.  Vince not good enough, Stoneman not good enough, Malan although one good series in Australia still has to prove himself.  As for the bowlers, oh my if Anderson is injured it's goodnight, the back up bowling is pathetic, the best spinner in the country is overlooked it's bewildering.

Guest Moomintroll
"19 year old" [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Guest Moomintroll
If it actually existed then Saudi Arabia U-16s thread for this pish.

Australia captain Steve Smith and vice-captain David Warner step down for rest of Test - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43531491

That won't be enough to save them long term I wouldn't think.

No. They can’t remain as captain and vice-captain. I’d be surprised if they aren’t sent home from the tour at the very least.

It’s hard to get over how dumb they are.

ICC have announced the fines. Hard not to keep repeating thatthe real crime for these boys was getting caught on TV. 

Smith banned for one test plus 4 points plus 100% of match fee.

Bancroft fined 75% of match fee and 3 points 

ICC pretty much admitting by their "we need to do more" statement that they've done next to f**k all for years. 

Edited by HTG

ICC have announced the fines. Hard not to keep repeating thatthe real crime for these boys was getting caught on TV. 

Smith banned for one test plus 4 points plus 75% of match fee.

Bancroft fined 100% of match fee and 3 points 

ICC pretty much admitting by their "we need to do more" statement that they've done next to f**k all for years. 

If Cricket Australia want to keep any shred of respect they should have withdrawn Smith from the rest of this match, replaced him with a sub fielder, and bat a man down in their second innings. The laws are quite clear that fair play starts with the captain, so he has to carry most of the blame imo.