The Cricket Thread

bewlay

My memory may be playing tricks after all these years. But was Atherton not actually cleared of the ball tampering charges at a later date?
Not to my recollection. You might be thinking of Inzamam vs England. Pakistan forfeited a test in protest - he was eventually cleared.

Atherton wasn't, just offered some excuse about using dirt to keep his hands and the ball dry [emoji38]

A tad hypocritical as I recall he and some England test players inferring Waqar was ball tampering in the 1992 (I think) series purely because they couldn't understand how he was managing to bowl consistently destructive inswinging Yorkers.

Not to my recollection. You might be thinking of Inzamam vs England. Pakistan forfeited a test in protest - he was eventually cleared.

Atherton wasn't, just offered some excuse about using dirt to keep his hands and the ball dry [emoji38]

A tad hypocritical as I recall he and some England test players inferring Waqar was ball tampering in the 1992 (I think) series purely because they couldn't understand how he was managing to bowl consistently destructive inswinging Yorkers.
Yeah, I could very well be getting mixed up with the Inzamam thing.

New Zealand win by an innings and 49 runs

Trevor Bayliss has done wonders for the white ball game, but the test side has lost its way completely. Even if you give them the possible pass in Stoneman, there’s been a 3 and 5 batsman missing for the last three years.

New coach, please. Jason Gillespie would by my pick, especially because it would piss off the Yorkshire mob.

19 hours ago, peasy23 said:

If Cricket Australia want to keep any shred of respect they should have withdrawn Smith from the rest of this match, replaced him with a sub fielder, and bat a man down in their second innings. The laws are quite clear that fair play starts with the captain, so he has to carry most of the blame imo.

Payback for the Du Plessis affair during SA's  last tour of Australia.

The amount of humbug is staggering, there's only one direction to go once you've taken the moral highground - downwards.

Trevor Bayliss has done wonders for the white ball game, but the test side has lost its way completely. Even if you give them the possible pass in Stoneman, there’s been a 3 and 5 batsman missing for the last three years.

New coach, please. Jason Gillespie would by my pick, especially because it would piss off the Yorkshire mob.

Agree with this but I think Gillespie might be headhunted by CA to replace Lehmann. I can't see how his position is tenable.

Agree with this but I think Gillespie might be headhunted by CA to replace Lehmann. I can't see how his position is tenable.

If he knew about it, agreed. It’s hard to overstate the damage this will do to their cricket team’s reputation. It’s glorious.

In total fairness to Lehmann, it’s entirely conceivable that the players decided to do this on their own. I’d like to think that they did, rather than having instructions to cheat given to them.

That said, this “senior” leadership group must presumably include the coach, otherwise what’s the point of it other than to undermine the coach?

Although, on the other hand, Gillespie himself more than intimated that at least one playing member of that group had nothing to do with it, and is absolutely furious, so who knows?

I’d be astonished if Smith, Warner et al. continue to be available for selection. If they are, there’s no chance a stand up guy like Gillespie takes that job.

I think CA will come down hard on those involved, including Lehmann, and I can envisage a total overhaul of the team and its ethos. Gillespie might well be the man to take that forward.

Hope not. I rather like Gillespie.

I see Smith has resigned as captain of his IPL side. Pretty much unconscionable if he resigns that but keeps the Australian captaincy. The cynic in me says he’s trying to sacrifice the one to save the other.

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Hope not. I rather like Gillespie.

I see Smith has resigned as captain of his IPL side. Pretty much unconscionable if he resigns that but keeps the Australian captaincy. The cynic in me says he’s trying to sacrifice the one to save the other.

I doubt he'll be Australian captain for much longer. From what I've read/seen on the news here there is 100% disgust and outrage at what they've done. I still cannot believe they thought they could get away with it.

When they talk about Warner and Smith stepping down are they talking about just the captaincy/vice captaincy or from international cricket as a whole? On the Smith issue I can't stand the guy, watching him bat with his trigger movement and all the touching of this that and the next thing irritates me far more than it should, but he is one of the worlds greatest batsmen and it would be sad to see such a talent have his international career brought to a premature end. No one to blame but himself mind.

Wouldn't shed any tears over not seeing Warner play again though.

I doubt he'll be Australian captain for much longer. From what I've read/seen on the news here there is 100% disgust and outrage at what they've done. I still cannot believe they thought they could get away with it.

Surely this isn’t the first time? As Graeme Fowler pointed out, how thick must you be to rely on DRS and video replay for your job, but to also think you could get away with this on the field?

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Every time England fail at something there's a clamour to focus all resources on making sure they succeed at whatever that thing was next time. That might be dealing with Australian pace, subcontinental spin, T20 or the world cup. Until the next failure

The wretched 2015 World Cup campaign is an exception

Trevor Bayliss  is there because England stunk out the 2015 World cup and he's there to win the 2019 world cup in England (or at least come bloody close).

Hard core test purists may say that the ODI world cup wasn't worth sacrificing a test match, never mind a series, for but having sunk three years into this project it seems crazy to lose their nerve with 13 months to go.

Every time England fail at something there's a clamour to focus all resources on making sure they succeed at whatever that thing was next time. That might be dealing with Australian pace, subcontinental spin, T20 or the world cup. Until the next failure
The wretched 2015 World Cup campaign is an exception
Trevor Bayliss  is there because England stunk out the 2015 World cup and he's there to win the 2019 world cup in England (or at least come bloody close).
Hard core test purists may say that the ODI world cup wasn't worth sacrificing a test match, never mind a series, for but having sunk three years into this project it seems crazy to lose their nerve with 13 months to go.

That’s fair.

I make no apologies for enjoying test cricket more than the one dayers. In many respects the project has been a success, but I do fear for test cricket if this is the way forward.

Surely it doesn’t have to be a case of either/or?

38 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That’s fair.

I make no apologies for enjoying test cricket more than the one dayers. In many respects the project has been a success, but I do fear for test cricket if this is the way forward.

Surely it doesn’t have to be a case of either/or?

Obviously not  but you can't prioritise everything

Unless he changes his mind Bayliss is leaving after the world cup, hopefully as a winner, so that would be a natural time for the TCB to shift focus.

If he's going anyway then it makes it easier to line up the next man in advance.