The Cricket Thread

bewlay

27/1 what unless I am mistaken is the highest opening partnership of the series. 

What ever people think of Rory Burns he has faced some of the worlds best bowlers in some of the most challenging conditions in modern test cricket and eeked, edged, squeezed and occasionally scored runs and eaten up the first 20 overs versus a swinging and seaming Duke ball. He is still the third highest  runs scorer in the series despite facing conditions literally every other batsman has failed in. 

If you are compiling a team of the series, after Stokes and Smith he is your man. Him and Lubschagne were both picked on their form in red ball cricket (as was Denly). Some might say that that is a better metric of picking players for this series than your ability to smash it in one day and T20. :rolleyes:

27/1 what unless I am mistaken is the highest opening partnership of the series. 
What ever people think of Rory Burns he has faced some of the worlds best bowlers in some of the most challenging conditions in modern test cricket and eeked, edged, squeezed and occasionally scored runs and eaten up the first 20 overs versus a swinging and seaming Duke ball. He is still the third highest  runs scorer in the series despite facing conditions literally every other batsman has failed in. 
If you are compiling a team of the series, after Stokes and Smith he is your man. Him and Lubschagne were both picked on their form in red ball cricket (as was Denly). Some might say that that is a better metric of picking players for this series than your ability to smash it in one day and T20. :rolleyes:

I take it you are talking purely about batsman when you mention him being after Smith and Stokes?If not Pat Cummins and possibly Josh Hazelwood would both be in ahead of him for me.

I take it you are talking purely about batsman when you mention him being after Smith and Stokes?If not Pat Cummins and possibly Josh Hazelwood would both be in ahead of him for me.

Smith, Cummins and Hazlewood are ahead of any English player for sure. Stokes, Labuschagne and Broad/Burns are probably next.

Stokes produced that one remarkable innings but that’s really it. He’s made 26 or below in 6 of his 8 innings. The whole England team needs a shakeup if they want to be ready for the next Ashes or to compete in this Test tournament thingy.

Poor shot from Stokes, he really is brainless at times.
130-3   can see 170 -6 happening.

As I said before, the big win at Headingley has sort of masked Stokes’ average performances. That said, him, Burns and Root are the only batsmen I have ant confidence in.

Given the poor form of Bairstow and Buttler this could potentially be a 7-man tail here.

As I said before, the big win at Headingley has sort of masked Stokes’ average performances. That said, him, Burns and Root are the only batsmen I have ant confidence in.

Given the poor form of Bairstow and Buttler this could potentially be a 7-man tail here.

Yup. Lots of players two places too high. All comes back to Ali though. England are a better balanced team when he’s at 8 and the keeper is at 7 (or 7 and 7 when they go more bowler heavy).

4 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Root fails to convert for the 8 billionth time

He has a conversion rate of 26pct, to put this in context Williamson has 40pct and both Kohli and Smith are over 50pct.

It really is poor.

What is the conversion rate pre and post being appointed captain?

For me I'd remove the captaincy from him because its clearly impacting his batting form and he's shit at being captain.

Just now, drs said:

What is the conversion rate pre and post being appointed captain?

For me I'd remove the captaincy from him because its clearly impacting his batting form and he's shit at being captain.

I'm currently out but will have a look later.  I can imagine there is a significant difference.

Some people thrive on captaincy, he hasn't, it's clearly hurt his game and it's not as if he is such a good captain that it's worth the sacrifice to his game.

In fact his captaincy as you say is shit.

This England batting outfit are absolutely rancid.