The Cricket Thread

bewlay

The boy conway goes from strength to strength but the rest of the middle order collapsed a wee bit.

312-7.

If eng can get them out for 350-360 then they'll have a chance. If the kiwis push over 400 then they'll be well in control.

Who would have thought England treating a fantastic team like NZ as being like a village team would backfire.

Come on, resting players against a great team is sheer arrogance.

Furthermore as for Pope, in India I have never seen a top order batsman so disorganised against spin.  Another pretty twenty today and out. Looks completely overrated.

The weather may save them, it probably will.  I said before India series that England would probably lose 4 series on the spin, wouldn't amaze me. A debacle of a batting order.  Archer gubbed, Wood will get injured, Broad looks meh and after that it's run of the mill English seamers, awful spinners and the great Jimmy who if he's injures goodnight.

All that arrogance to take NZ lightly as well.  Imagine if Boult ya steamer was playing.

Edited by Tynierose

35 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Who would have thought England treating a fantastic team like NZ as being like a village team would backfire.

Come on, resting players against a great team is sheer arrogance.

Furthermore as for Pope, in India I have never seen a top order batsman so disorganised against spin.  Another pretty twenty today and out. Looks completely overrated.

The weather may save them, it probably will.  I said before India series that England would probably lose 4 series on the spin, wouldn't amaze me. A debacle of a batting order.  Archer gubbed, Wood will get injured, Broad looks meh and after that it's run of the mill English seamers, awful spinners and the great Jimmy who if he's injures goodnight.

All that arrogance to take NZ lightly as well.  Imagine if Boult ya steamer was playing.

It's almost as if they forget the reason New Zealand are here in the first place, this is the warm up for them.

33 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Ballsy move by NZ to declare now. Couple of quick wickets here and who knows.

Twenty years ago, New Zealand were absolutely tedious to watch. Over the last couple of decades, they’ve become everyone’s second team, and for good reason.    Most other teams would have batted for another 50 runs. 

Twenty years ago, New Zealand were absolutely tedious to watch. Over the last couple of decades, they’ve become everyone’s second team, and for good reason.    Most other teams would have batted for another 50 runs. 
Could backfire, but it certainly dangles a big carrot to England that they could win it. If they bat another hour then it takes that chance away and England go into defensive mode, although going by the winter that might have been the best thing for the Kiwis.

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Robinson will miss at least the second test as he has been suspended pending an investigation into his old offensive tweets.

What an absolutely fucking nonsense. Every man and his dog knows that the boy was an arsehole in his late teens. He felt the consequences of that at the time, but he's managed to take a look at himself and turn his life around. He doesn't deserve for this shit to be dragged up again. I also think that whoever found those tweets, then sat on them, not just until he was called up, but the morning of his debut, is a straight up c**t. Absolutely abysmal behaviour.

I'm, of course, not condoning the tweets. The reaction is just absolutely shite though.

16 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

What an absolutely fucking nonsense. Every man and his dog knows that the boy was an arsehole in his late teens. He felt the consequences of that at the time, but he's managed to take a look at himself and turn his life around. He doesn't deserve for this shit to be dragged up again. I also think that whoever found those tweets, then sat on them, not just until he was called up, but the morning of his debut, is a straight up c**t. Absolutely abysmal behaviour.

I'm, of course, not condoning the tweets. The reaction is just absolutely shite though.

Anyone got any info on what these tweets actually said?

21 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I’m not quite as sure about that.  I get the fact that redemption has to be a thing, otherwise we are all fucked in one way or another.  But he’s playing for his country.  I do think there has to be some kind of repercussion.  The ECB just can’t ignore the fact that one of their players has come out with some absolute bile - for which his age is no excuse whatsoever. If you make public statements like these, you don’t have a right to expect them to disappear.  If you are a representative of your nation, even less so.  

If I make racist, homophobic and misogynistic statements on social media, I fully expect there to be some result of it.  I’d say the targets of his Tweets have every right to bring them up whenever they want.  I feel the same about Malky Mackay.  There has to be some fallout from somebody at international level.

I also had no idea about his checkered past, other than him being released by Yorkshire for unprofessional behaviour.