Garden Options

HGG

Just had a wee look and would love that. Similar idea to Crocosmia?

I had to look crocosima up...
Yes. Looks like the same style. Agapanthus seem more succulent. you get fleshy leaves then stalks that grow straight up and burst open with loads of flowers. Took a couple of pics of mine now. 56372e3e7c4b54df8c3afe488dd5b02e.jpg610950859a8815f27d1ea948b805ca50.jpg
They seem really hardy,come back every year and you can dig them up and divide them easily

Every back garden in our street is rife with horses tail. Fighting a losing battle with it. 

I ripped up as much as I could. Laid down some heavy duty weed suppressant and 2 inch of bark. And still it comes! Not as bad as it was, but I know it's just sitting waiting. Always waiting!

On 28/07/2017 at 00:17, dave.j said:

Picked up a Heuchera and an Ajuga Reptans. 2 quid each.

Be careful with Heuchera, it can be very invasive and a nightmare to get rid of.

Every back garden in our street is rife with horses tail. Fighting a losing battle with it. 

I ripped up as much as I could. Laid down some heavy duty weed suppressant and 2 inch of bark. And still it comes! Not as bad as it was, but I know it's just sitting waiting. Always waiting!

Ive seen them burst through tarmac. Jim McColl of Beechgrove fame was questioned on how to get rid of them. He told the punter to move house.

Been out in the front garden giving it a wee tidy...

4d1d18b1efa584e0669150c425c24abc.jpg

Are those African Marigolds?

I absolutely love marigolds and grow them every year.

I'm halfway through doing my Garden, started it at the start of the summer it was just all grass and uneven, I've dug borders, shuttered it all in and leveled the dug out parts with type 1 ready for some kind of decorative buff when I've got the spare cash.

f4103f01dcad327a79267a42e3b5dfb4.jpg613bde05d3094d97f3634be52fa72290.jpg

I'm halfway through doing my Garden, started it at the start of the summer it was just all grass and uneven, I've dug borders, shuttered it all in and leveled the dug out parts with type 1 ready for some kind of decorative buff when I've got the spare cash.

Have a look at Golden Harvest aggregate, or Meadowgrass Marble will provide a good contrast and highlight lawn. Both about circa £95/tonne.

Golden Harvest is emboldened by wet conditions also.

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

That's nice. I'll be able to come and visit now.

images-8.jpeg

On 30/07/2017 at 17:23, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

On 30/07/2017 at 19:46, Father Ted said:

Have a look at Golden Harvest aggregate, or Meadowgrass Marble will provide a good contrast and highlight lawn. Both about circa £95/tonne.

Golden Harvest is emboldened by wet conditions also.

If you can get a wee trailer or pickup try phoning around your nearest quarries to ask what they've got. Why pay £95/t when you can get it for less than £20/t? I'm not all that familiar with who does what down in Airdrie, but Tarmac certainly have an extensive supply of these kind of things and tend to stock each depot with decoratives from all over. Most of Scotland's buff supply comes from their Cairdshill Quarry in Keith as far as I'm aware.

Edit: I've got the Cairdshill stuff in my garden myself, and it certainly shows up nice and bright when it's wet.

Edited by Spain

9 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

What kind of plant is this? It's in my dads garden and is hoaching with honey bees (must be hives nearby).

464277f3eb99f5a334754e561788c980.jpg

Canyouguesswhatitisyeticuss filmsorbooktitlesinpicturesicuss.

If you can get a wee trailer or pickup try phoning around your nearest quarries to ask what they've got. Why pay £95/t when you can get it for less than £20/t? I'm not all that familiar with who does what down in Airdrie, but Tarmac certainly have an extensive supply of these kind of things and tend to stock each depot with decoratives from all over. Most of Scotland's buff supply comes from their Cairdshill Quarry in Keith as far as I'm aware.
Edit: I've got the Cairdshill stuff in my garden myself, and it certainly shows up nice and bright when it's wet.

Horses for courses. You cannot locally source those I mentìoned. At 20/t you canny grumble.

At my wits end about what to do with this border in my back garden.

I've bought bark and had just planned to put down fresh weed suppressant and cover it over.

However, with it being clay soil, there's no drainage. It also runs west to east with the house on the south side and a 7 ft hedge on the west side. It gets no sun at all. So struggles to dry out.

I turned it at the start of the year and removed all the weeds. But it's compacted again and not draining at all.

Ideal world I'd run a raised bed the full length, but I don't have the budget for that.

Any thoughts?

1940b09b5a3d8f77774a6b1394ea5282.jpg

f0c2a3f2c09e542555127489d407eb8c.jpg

1730b744665156396b65b3815d6f11ca.jpg

30037ee2d47925939b9cb4fb87479bab.jpg