Garden Options

HGG

Apropos of nothing, just discovered the TV channel Discovery Shed - and specifically a programme on it called "Decked Out". For the uninitiated, it involves a mad Canadian boy going round making ridiculously brilliant decks in back gardens around North America (it just knocks a show called Treehouse Masters, where they build mental treehouses, into second place in my new favourite show charts).

I love a good deck - this is giving me some wild ideas for my new house when I move in a month's time. I built a massive, ~50sqm, deck supported on stilts at my current house, so I'll be needing a new project for something similar at the new place! This programme has given me some mad ideas. A must watch for any deck enthusiast.

I have done some raised beds with walkways down to get to the stuff. and on the opposite side of that diagonal path i did like a mirror image of raised beds.

Its just scaffolding boards that were past their best so ive no idea how long they will last.

post-10023-0-74765300-1395570341_thumb.j

post-10023-0-02709800-1395570371_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Can't touch the lawn. Too wet. Fuchsia cuttings/Geraniums all made it through the winter. Grasses/ herbs all re potted. Spend all the time ripping up weeds already.

Right, is it too early to cut the grass or not?

It's starting to get rather long for comfort but some are saying that it's too early and a cold snap will f*** it up if it's cut. Not exactly tropical at the moment.

finally got some of the garden done this week. the jungle has been cut. the swamp out the back is still a swamp and now the laddie has golf clubs it's looking even worse. managed to get to the garden centre today and get a few bargains. planted up plenty of seeds and replenished the strawberry supply. lost a load to vine weevil this year. very relaxing doing stuff in the garden but trying to fix a plastic greenhouse with the good lays almost ended in divorce. lol

Right, is it too early to cut the grass or not?

It's starting to get rather long for comfort but some are saying that it's too early and a cold snap will f*** it up if it's cut. Not exactly tropical at the moment.

I cut my grass a couple of weeks ago and it's nearly grown back to where it was when I cut it already.

Should be fine.

Put a new fence up and put some chips down, finally managed to start talking rationally the problem neighbours which is a good thing.

They even offered to buy paint which was decent of them but then said that it would be better to soak the fence before painting as it absorbs less paint!?

Some people, how the feck have they survived for so long being so stupid?

Anyway it's their side so they can get on with it and I'm glad we're on speaking terms again.

I cut my grass a couple of weeks ago and it's nearly grown back to where it was when I cut it already.

Should be fine.

Good to hear seeing as I did it just before the SJ/Dons game yesterday!

Lot of moss and dandelion were hiding in there though. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Spent all Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday in the garden. Raised beds all dug over. Seeds looked out. Tatties in.

I de-weeded the whole garden. What's the best way to deal with the gap in between slabs. I totally hate weeding this even witht the wee hooky tool thing. Someone told me a sand/cement mix brushed in should do the trick. Also been told sand only. Anyone else?

Well 2 hours to sort out the front garden tonight. I need to get a butler/boy to do this shit.

Anyway, tidied up grass cut and unearthed the big moss mound where the bees were going in and out last summer.

They had fucked off and left not a trace the little bumbly b*****ds.

DOWN WITH THE BEES!!! :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna put stones down in front garden, do i put sand down first then membrane and then stones? if yes does it matter what kind of sand?

Weed killer or something like Jeyes fluid. Do not go cheap on the membrane. Weeds are strong. Even after you put you stones down, weeds will seed in a minute amount of dirt.

So i dont need sand at all,id be wasting my time? Reason i say i have a shit load ot it ( wife bought it). Membrane yes we got cheap shit before so we have went to a building merchant for one

It wont do any harm, but put it under the membrane, If you stick it on top you will get weeds seeding.

My house backs into a forrest, every summer is an ongoing battle to keep the forrest on the other side of the fence.

Wish I had the funds available to pay someone to come in and do up the whole thing, I graft for hours and the place always looks shite. Gardening is balls.

After getting ahold of an old whisky barrel destined for firewood at the cooperage and sanding / varnishing it all up after chopping it in half, got a couple of cracking big flower pots for the back garden now. :)

I'm waiting for a few decent dry days in a row to finally get the decking stained and the fence painted. Cant wait to get cracking on it because the previous owners have neglected both something fierce.