Whatever Happened To Mcewans Lager?

The Lonsdale in Troon still does 60/- as far as I'm aware. Monster will ken for sure.

Caley 80/- was excellent the last time I had it. More biscuitty than McEwan's.

Yes the Lonsdale does do 60/ just referred to as a pint of light. Eagle in Prestwick does it too. Had Caledonian 80/ for the first time at Musselburgh races a couple of weeks back. A fine pint with a nice bitter roasted finish.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the 80s Caspers nightclub in Ardrossan used to have a lager choice of Skol or Castlemaine XXXX. Christ what a decision that was !!!

Whatever happened to Double Diamond, Tartan Special, the affore mention Castlemain XXXX or Harp all of which were widely available in my formative bevvying years ?

Pretty sure my bowling club's heavy is a McEwan's 80/-, haven't been in for a wee while though so I can't say for certain. It's not a bad pint. I second the Harviestoun Schieallion and Bitter & Twisted shouts, both quality.

Last Thursday I tried a Herr Keith from the Keith Brewery, not a bad weissbier but not one I'd want necessarily if I was going out with the guys on the randan.

They really scraped the barrel with the advert with the atypical rat faced Weegie wannabe gangster Daily Record journalists tend to jizz themselves over:

Their Ratner moment. They'd spent so much on previous ads making themselves look the beer of the hipsters of the day (the Alive and Kicking campaign, the Chinheads, etc), but that was the point they said without realising it "McEwans is a beer for society's dregs" & never recovered.

(and let's face it, the Grousebeaters would have kick f**k out of those two radge fannies)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMcQByZcbys

(Spot the one who was meant to look like William McIlvaney!)

What happened to cans of Miller? Can Remember my old man and various uncles drinking these at house parties and xmas etc growing up but one day they all just disappeared

It was withdrawn back in 2008 due to plummeting sales. The irony was the bottled version killed the tinned version stoned dead when consumers realised the vast difference in taste & decided they'd sooner pay more for less product if it didn't make their tongue ming of aluminium for the rest of the night..

It was withdrawn back in 2008 due to plummeting sales. The irony was the bottled version killed the tinned version stoned dead when consumers realised the vast difference in taste & decided they'd sooner pay more for less product if it didn't make their tongue ming of aluminium for the rest of the night..

Used to drink the cans of Miller all the time, I loved the stuff when I was around 19 or 20 years old, that was my main drink. Used to be 4 cans of Miller if we were going out after, 12 cans if we were staying in.

It's probably shite but it's more the memories I think are great rather than the lager. I'm sitting offshore just now salivating about a can of Miller. It was absolutely superb.

If this is true it's insane. As horrible as Miller lager in cans was, I'd far rather the tang of aluminium scorch my mouth than devastate my tastebuds with the horror that is MGD. Bottles of Miller are a travesty of genocidal proportions.

Colour: piss.

Taste: Sugar and piss.

Agreed been having that a fair bit recently when out. Ive seen the bitter and twisted but yet to try it.

I'd have thought Celtic fans and bitter and twisted would be a match made in heaven.

The Lonsdale in Troon still does 60/- as far as I'm aware. Monster will ken for sure.

Caley 80/- was excellent the last time I had it. More biscuitty than McEwan's.

Yes the Lonsdale does do 60/ just referred to as a pint of light. Eagle in Prestwick does it too. Had Caledonian 80/ for the first time at Musselburgh races a couple of weeks back. A fine pint with a nice bitter roasted finish.

Yup, great pint. The main difference between the Lonsdale and the Eagle is 60p a pint though! :o

The 86 club ( masonic lodge) has light, but it's Tenennts 60/ - not even remotely as good. And no, I'm not in the craft, I pay a fiver a year for a social membership. :rolleyes:

Archived