Official P&b Cycling Thread

Cycled from Glasgow to Balloch and back yesterday, no idea how long it took me but really enjoyable cycle and I'm well out of practise/shape so was happy with it.
Anyone followed the no7 path past Balloch? Was thinking of getting the train to Balloch and starting from there next time.

30 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Cycled from Glasgow to Balloch and back yesterday, no idea how long it took me but really enjoyable cycle and I'm well out of practise/shape so was happy with it.
Anyone followed the no7 path past Balloch? Was thinking of getting the train to Balloch and starting from there next time.

I've followed it as far as Aberfoyle (about 20 miles from Balloch).  It mostly follows back roads other than a couple of traffic free sections between Croftamie and Drymen and the last mile or so into Aberfoyle.  That said you don't see much in the way of traffic on those roads anyway and it allows you to put the foot down a bit more than you would on a cycle path.  Fairly undulating route with one long steady testing climb out of Drymen.

1 hour ago, ark loyal said:

I've followed it as far as Aberfoyle (about 20 miles from Balloch).  It mostly follows back roads other than a couple of traffic free sections between Croftamie and Drymen and the last mile or so into Aberfoyle.  That said you don't see much in the way of traffic on those roads anyway and it allows you to put the foot down a bit more than you would on a cycle path.  Fairly undulating route with one long steady testing climb out of Drymen.

Cheers! I'm not the biggest fan of cycling on the road, feel close to death most of the time so I'm after the least amount of it as possible, if it's quiet enough I don't mind that though, will give it a go next day I have free.

Question for the more experienced cyclists on here: 

Flats versus Clipless?

Atm I'm just using the cheap flat pedals that came with the bike, wearing a pair of old Puma FAS500 trainers :lol: Obviously that's not a great starting set up, however I'm wondering how much advantage there is to using actual shoes with a clipless pedals. I'm looking to eke out more performance as I feel I've plateau'd over the last month or two. Also, does anyone know of a decent resource for training programmes/workouts? 

Cheers muchly.

4 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Flats versus Clipless?

Atm I'm just using the cheap flat pedals that came with the bike, wearing a pair of old Puma FAS500 trainers :lol: Obviously that's not a great starting set up, however I'm wondering how much advantage there is to using actual shoes with a clipless pedals. I'm looking to eke out more performance as I feel I've plateau'd over the last month or two. Also, does anyone know of a decent resource for training programmes/workouts? 

Cheers muchly.

It'll make a significant difference as you'll be making every movement more efficient. Without clips you are only getting power on the downward stroke whereas with clips you get some power on the upward motion. 

Have you also considered whether your saddle is at the right height? Is the stem the right length for you? There are plenty of good videos on YouTube to get a better idea of setup if you are still in the early stages and not quite ready to splash out a bike fit. 

I started with Look Keos for the road bike but ended up changing all my bikes to SPDs as I just thought it was comfier and they wore better.

On 25/07/2017 at 08:32, statts1976uk said:

It'll make a significant difference as you'll be making every movement more efficient. Without clips you are only getting power on the downward stroke whereas with clips you get some power on the upward motion. 

Have you also considered whether your saddle is at the right height? Is the stem the right length for you? There are plenty of good videos on YouTube to get a better idea of setup if you are still in the early stages and not quite ready to splash out a bike fit. 

I started with Look Keos for the road bike but ended up changing all my bikes to SPDs as I just thought it was comfier and they wore better.

Agree with much of this advice , but I prefer Look Keos, but it's what suits you best.

As Statts says, one you get used to it, you'll see a big difference in performance, I think I'd actually struggle to ride a bike without being clipped in now !

On 7/25/2017 at 08:23, jupe1407 said:

Flats versus Clipless?

Cheers muchly.

Spd's but not the SL version is probably your best option. They are easier to clip in and out and the pedal doesn't need to be in one position to engage as they clip in on both sides (especially handy on hill starts). The cleats are recessed into the sole so it is like walking in trainers off the bike unlike KEO's or Spd SL's where the cleats protrude and make it tricky to walk.

4 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Has anyone here attempted the Hebridean Way? I'm considering doing it at the end of September in 40-50 mile a day sections. I managed Inverness to Elgin a few weeks back, which was about 40ish miles, but that is a very flat road most of the way.

I was sorely tempted this morning.

fd73d18502547962d64680d5db01b6b1.jpg

8 hours ago, mjw said:

Is this going to go down as the windiest summer ever?
I can remember making a journey on my bike where I haven't been battered at some point by the wind.

Yes. 

It's been fucking shit. I've had one flat calm ride, during which it pished down. It reminds me of a particularly shite summer in the late 90s. I was heavily into golf at the time and literally every competition/event I played it involved pishing rain and wind. 

Hoping for a calm, sunny spell for the last week in September/first week October. I've got a week in Assynt and a week in Torridon, and hoping for some good cycling (and hillwalking) weather. 

Do I need new tyres? Both front and back are like this - sort of dry and cracked all round the rim.

IMG_0275.thumb.JPG.99c2f10e162166f42da4cc8ce14b40d4.JPG

If I do, it's slightly annoying because they're less than a year old.

Similarly if I do, then does anyone have any recommendations for puncture-resistant ones? They need to be PR because my ride to work is on "interesting" paths and I was fed up repairing punctures. 

2 hours ago, The Master said:

Do I need new tyres? Both front and back are like this - sort of dry and cracked all round the rim.

IMG_0275.thumb.JPG.99c2f10e162166f42da4cc8ce14b40d4.JPG

If I do, it's slightly annoying because they're less than a year old.

Similarly if I do, then does anyone have any recommendations for puncture-resistant ones? They need to be PR because my ride to work is on "interesting" paths and I was fed up repairing punctures. 

I hesitated to answer, awaiting the opinion of someone more expert. But since they're all busy: I think you do need new tyres, Master. For the same reason as you, I have Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on my cyclocross bike. Have successfully avoided punctures but I know they are difficult to get on and off the wheel - very stiff.

@Bold Rover Thanks - what your saying does concur with advice I've seen on other forums.

Halfords have your tyres at £26 each just now.  I've read a review that says they increase rolling resistance but I'm going to guess that on a hybrid on shit roads, that's not really an issue.

Edited by The Master

1 hour ago, The Master said:

@Bold Rover Thanks - what your saying does concur with advice I've seen on other forums.

Halfords have your tyres at £26 each just now.  I've read a review that says they increase rolling resistance but I'm going to guess that on a hybrid on shit roads, that's not really an issue.

That'll be why I'm so slow then! Seriously, I'm not interested in speed so resistance isn't a problem for me. Actually, it means more exercise. And that's good, isn't it?