Official P&b Cycling Thread

Great effort, I’m disappointed that I wasn’t able to do it this year due to a combination of an injury and work commitments.
I’m going to be doing the Etape Caledonia to help  a mate as part of his rehab post stroke, it’s only the 40 mile section but still a nice leg stretcher! I’ve not done that one before so hope it’s a good substitute for the Loch Ness event.
Never done the Caledonia, I know most of the roads though, I'd expect a lot more little kicks than Loch Ness, which barring that b*****d hill up to Glendoe has a lot of nice flat sections. The long run from the too of the mountain was downbreeze all the way to Inverness. Glorious.

7 hours ago, well fan for life said:

I done Etape Loch Ness on Sunday for the first time. I knew Glendoe would be hard but that was borderline satanic.

The sound of the pipes at the summit just lull you into a false sense of hope! That sound just travels!!!

It was worse last year, the wind was against so the sound carried much further. I've done that climb three times now but still forget about the second kick. Major bonus though as I was sure I still.had a mile to the summit when I looked up and saw the piper. Awesome. Also fucking mental that the KOM did that in about 20mins.

On 20/04/2019 at 16:01, die hard doonhamer said:

Went and bought a cheap road bike from the bike station in Perth today. The plan is that I'll use it enough over the summer to prove to myself that buying a good bike will be worth it.

I cycled it home, I forgot how much pain you are left with by the saddle after going on a bike for the first time in far too long!

First cycle to work on Monday:

IMG_20190429_084351.thumb.jpg.00a232d9e975d3a7eed92fb1ee427b44.jpg

That's the chain split either side of the front mech, which was annoying. Took it back in to the shop and they fixed it for me, so should be back to it on Thursday.

11 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

It was worse last year, the wind was against so the sound carried much further. I've done that climb three times now but still forget about the second kick. Major bonus though as I was sure I still.had a mile to the summit when I looked up and saw the piper. Awesome. Also fucking mental that the KOM did that in about 20mins.

Aye I was absolutely in a world of hurt so I was just staring at the road in front of me to keep going. When you get to the wee Loch and it levels out it's lovely, then that second kick was another absolute slog. The wee sharp climb after the descent was fairly unwelcome as well tbh. 

I wasn't feeling great after but ground it out, stopped for a piss, a macaroni pie and a gel at the last rest stop and then absolutely ripped the last 10 miles. 

Midway through a week's cycling holiday in Majorca as part of a bigger group. It's as good as I was told. Good weather, good quiet roads, flat for miles or very hilly if you want.

4 hours ago, printer said:

Midway through a week's cycling holiday in Majorca as part of a bigger group. It's as good as I was told. Good weather, good quiet roads, flat for miles or very hilly if you want.

hmmm. I have family in a group out on a cycling holiday in Majorca just now. Are you my mom?

Had my revolution - sora - Carbon forked road bike for 7 years now, did 20,000kms on it, now needing the usual 'everything' cassettes-chain-derailers etc...thinking about upgrading but don't really see the point splashing out for a brand new  bike when i can pick up a 1 y old Focus Cayo Tiagra for £350......any thoughts?

I'm hoping to do a sponsored cycle to raise money and awareness for a genetic condition that one of my little nephews has.  Without mocking me I've actually never had a bike (I was a cool kid with a skateboard) and I actually only started to learn how to ride one on Saturday :lol:

Has anybody any suggestions on easy enough cycle routes for a sponsored cycle?  My wife and I have hoped that the 'gimmick' of me learning how to ride a bike would actually help draw peoples attention in and give us a better chance of making more money.

Thanks!

I'm hoping to do a sponsored cycle to raise money and awareness for a genetic condition that one of my little nephews has.  Without mocking me I've actually never had a bike (I was a cool kid with a skateboard) and I actually only started to learn how to ride one on Saturday :lol:
Has anybody any suggestions on easy enough cycle routes for a sponsored cycle?  My wife and I have hoped that the 'gimmick' of me learning how to ride a bike would actually help draw peoples attention in and give us a better chance of making more money.
Thanks!

Not sure where you live but the canal path from Glasgow to Falkirk is pretty easy going. How far are you intending to go?

In other news I was out for the second time this year but the previous trip was just to check equipment so only a few miles. On Saturday I did 23 miles which is a lot less than I would normally do. The first 20 miles were a breeze as expected but when I got back into Kilmarnock the last few miles absolutely destroyed me - as in stop at the side of the road not sure if you need to just walk levels of destruction. Got home and couldn’t get up the stairs.

In further news this is a great initiative by Police Scotland https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48181424

5 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Not sure where you live but the canal path from Glasgow to Falkirk is pretty easy going. How far are you intending to go?

Aberdeen and I've no idea really.  Need to get more confident first and see what I can do before choosing a length.  Was more just for ideas of what is available and see if there are any I like the sound of.

Aberdeen and I've no idea really.  Need to get more confident first and see what I can do before choosing a length.  Was more just for ideas of what is available and see if there are any I like the sound of.

Try to cycle from Pittodrie to the site of the new ground apparently it’s about 30 miles outside of Aberdeen.

14 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

This might appeal, very quiet roads usually and pretty flat.

http://www.morayways.org.uk/routedetails.asp?routeid=120

1 hour ago, Dindeleux said:

Try to cycle from Pittodrie to the site of the new ground apparently it’s about 30 miles outside of Aberdeen.

I don't think even an experienced cyclist would manage that.