Official P&b Cycling Thread

Fucking wankers. 9 miles into a Round the Bridges trip and my rear tyre punctures.

Spare inner tube used on hybrid and not been replaced yet.

Just had to call oot the AY (auld yin) to bring me home.

Now starts the complicated process of taking the wheel off in preparation for new inner tube tomorrow.

I feel it deserves to be said again.

Fucking wankers.

Fucking wankers. 9 miles into a Round the Bridges trip and my rear tyre punctures.

Now starts the complicated process of taking the wheel off in preparation for new inner tube tomorrow.

Fucking wankers.

I put those self-sealing tubes on my mountain bike after a series of punctures which seemed to do the trick.

Mind you, I did put new tyres on as well.

Monkeyblair, I feel your pain! I must confess that since I put marathon plus tyres on my hybrid and schwalbe durano plus on my road bikes then punctures have become a thing of the past!!! not cheap tyres and a pig to put on but they are as close to puncture proof that I have used !

Monkeyblair, I feel your pain! I must confess that since I put marathon plus tyres on my hybrid and schwalbe durano plus on my road bikes then punctures have become a thing of the past!!! not cheap tyres and a pig to put on but they are as close to puncture proof that I have used !

Sounds like good advice, again the only issue I have with these types of tyres is sacrificing speed for harder wearing rubber, any idea how much of a difference it makes??

I see the tyres you are talking about are £30 a pop which is not too bad.

Not sure what the facts and figures would be as I use them daily and my time is mostly affected by clowns in Corsa's and traffic lights rather than tyres. At a rough guess, it makes a five minute difference on an 18 mile commute into edinbugh that takes 50 mins. The durano +'s are a pretty good compromise.

Really it depends if you are committing or racing. If it's commuting then it will be worth the sacrifice of 5 mins......

Not sure what the facts and figures would be as I use them daily and my time is mostly affected by clowns in Corsa's and traffic lights rather than tyres. At a rough guess, it makes a five minute difference on an 18 mile commute into edinbugh that takes 50 mins. The durano +'s are a pretty good compromise.

Really it depends if you are committing or racing. If it's commuting then it will be worth the sacrifice of 5 mins......

I completed the Glasgow 100 mile route on Conti Gatorskin 25s. I opted to sacrifice a bit of pace for durability and I reckon it paid off. Over a 100 mile route, I might have managed to shave 15 - 30 minutes off my time at a guess with lighter 23s on the bike, but the pay off could well have been squatting by the side of the road repairing a puncture or two - so I possibly balanced it out given how many others were afflicted with blow-outs on the day.

It all depends on the purpose of your ride. I commute on my road bike with Schwalbe Ultremo ZX HDs. Fast rolling tyres with excellent grip, and they seem pretty effective in avoiding the punctures over several hundered miles thus far. My best advice is to ensure that tyres are well inflated - at least 110psi on road bikes.

Fucking wankers.

Ya total nugget!!:lol:

If you're daft enough to venture out without a spare tube,at least take a puncture repair outfit with you!!.

Also worth even taking out a spare tyre folding) as I've seen a couple of guys get punctures and their tyres got ripped to f**k.

If you never saw my earlier post,try these guys link

The Schwalbe blizzards are excellent for the money

I completed the Glasgow 100 mile route on Conti Gatorskin 25s. I opted to sacrifice a bit of pace for durability and I reckon it paid off. Over a 100 mile route, I might have managed to shave 15 - 30 minutes off my time at a guess with lighter 23s on the bike, but the pay off could well have been squatting by the side of the road repairing a puncture or two - so I possibly balanced it out given how many others were afflicted with blow-outs on the day.

It all depends on the purpose of your ride. I commute on my road bike with Schwalbe Ultremo ZX HDs. Fast rolling tyres with excellent grip, and they seem pretty effective in avoiding the punctures over several hundered miles thus far. My best advice is to ensure that tyres are well inflated - at least 110psi on road bikes.

Good shout on the inflation level, I took the inner tube to Dales today and he said it looked like a rim pinch where the tube probably wasn't inflated enough, you go over a wee dunt and the rim pinches the tube bursting it!!

If you're daft enough to venture out without a spare tube,at least take a puncture repair outfit with you!!.

Also worth even taking out a spare tyre folding) as I've seen a couple of guys get punctures and their tyres got ripped to f**k.

Fucks sake if I took all the stuff you talk about I would be like a fucking camel.

Where would my flask and packed lunch box go...

I've been commuting for the last two weeks on my new bike, only for 20 minutes each way (it's no great distance) and feel my finess has improved a good bit. Just need to cut down on the fags and drink now. Can see me getting the buzz of excercising back, rather than being a lazy basturd.

I take a puncture repair kit with me, might get a spare tube too.

I'm using Hutchinson Nitro tyres- more a training tyre- apparently quite a heavy but strong, long lasting too tyre- certainly taken a million Buckfast bottle shards without puncturing- touch wood!- so all seems good.

I take a puncture repair kit with me, might get a spare tube too.

I'm using Hutchinson Nitro tyres- more a training tyre- apparently quite a heavy but strong, long lasting too tyre- certainly taken a million Buckfast bottle shards without puncturing- touch wood!- so all seems good.

ALWAYS take a spare tube.

You don't want to be faffing about with a puncture repair kit in the pishing rain at the side of a busy road if you can avoid it. I take a spare tube (sometimes two on a longer run such as the recent sportive when I gaffer-taped the additional tube to the frame). I also take a wee pack of glueless patches. They take up next to no room in a pocket or saddle pack, but come in handy if you are unfortunate to suffer multiple blow-outs.

Earlier in the thread, UtN and myself had a wee debate as to the merits or otherwise of Co2 inflators. I swear by them, and haven't found mine to be faulty as yet. They are super-portable and you can easily take a couple of cannisters if need be (they are about 2 1/2 inches long and the girth of your thumb), but the major benefit for me is that they can inflate a 23c tyre to around 110psi with literally no effort on your part. That is a very tough proposition with a mini-pump, and if you pump up your tyre to say 70 - 80psi, then you run the very real risk of suffering from another flat of the pinch or snake-bite variety referred to by MB above.

Edited by Drooper

ALWAYS take a spare tube.

Earlier in the thread, UtN and myself had a wee debate as to the merits or otherwise of Co2 inflators. I swear by them, and haven't found mine to be faulty as yet. They are super-portable and you can easily take a couple of cannisters if need be (they are about 2 1/2 inches long and the girth of your thumb), but the major benefit for me is that they can inflate a 23c tyre to around 110psi with literally no effort on your part. That is a very tough proposition with a mini-pump, and if you pump up your tyre to say 70 - 80psi, then you run the very real risk of suffering from another flat of the pinch or snake-bite variety referred to by MB above.

Monkeyblair calls that his cock :lol:

P.S Thought I'd get in there first!

Fucking cnuts.

Tonight I was 5 minutes away from throwing my bike in the fucking bin.

Plan to cycle to Musselburgh and back - check

Spare inner tube in pouch - check

Tyre levers in pouch - check

Pump in fucking garage - check

Rear wheel puncture 23 miles into cycle - fucking checkity check check :angry:

The only thing that saved my cycling career tonight was a friendly fellow road biker who stopped, provided me with a pump and some assistance to change the tube quickly. We then cycled and chatted all the way back to SQ as he lived in North Queensferry. A huge thank you if you are reading this.

Bike in for 6 week service at the weekend, solid rubber tyres getting put on.

Fucking cnuts.

The only thing that saved my cycling career tonight was a friendly fellow road biker who stopped, provided me with a pump and some assistance to change the tube quickly. We then cycled and chatted all the way back to SQ as he lived in North Queensferry. A huge thank you if you are reading this.

Alan,hate to say this mate,but you're beginning to remind me of him......................................

sm1.jpg

Fucking cnuts.

Now, at the risk of coming across as a smug, I told you so, sort of wanker, this is yet another reason why a C02 inflator comes highly recommended.

You don't use a C02 at any other time (at home you use your track pump or mini pump) so it stays surgically grafted to your bike, along with your spare tube and tools.

FFS, get yourself one before you have a breakdown :P

Alan,hate to say this mate,but you're beginning to remind me of him......................................

sm1.jpg

Now, at the risk of coming across as a smug, I told you so, sort of w****r, this is yet another reason why a C02 inflator comes highly recommended.

You don't use a C02 at any other time (at home you use your track pump or mini pump) so it stays surgically grafted to your bike, along with your spare tube and tools.

FFS, get yourself one before you have a breakdown :P

Permission from Mrs B to get puncture proof tyres put on over the weekend and have now attached my pump to my bike using the bracket provided.

Just about ready to go!!

I am doing 78 miles on Monday morning starting about 6.30pm - heading to Dunbar and back.

Anyone fancy joining me at Queens Crossing Hotel in SQ? I could do with a puncture repair man!!