Official P&b Cycling Thread

Alright lads,

I'm looking for some advice,

I've got a pretty decent hybrid bike, however it just got the normal handlebars. Been out a few times recently and reckon I will enjoy using the drop handle bars, is it a going to be a massive expense changing them over? Will I need to get totally new gear and break mechanisms for it to work?

Or maybe I'm just aswell getting a new bike!

Cheers

Alright lads,

I'm looking for some advice,

I've got a pretty decent hybrid bike, however it just got the normal handlebars. Been out a few times recently and reckon I will enjoy using the drop handle bars, is it a going to be a massive expense changing them over? Will I need to get totally new gear and break mechanisms for it to work?

Or maybe I'm just aswell getting a new bike!

Cheers

It can be done,but much depends on what you have already.

I'm far from being an expert on these things and some of the other guys may be able to give you better advice,but here goes!

Firstly,you would need to buy the same diameter handlebars as existing,or you would need to change your stem.

Not knowing what kind of gearing you have,there's a good chance you would also need to change your shifters,front deraillieur and rear cassette,as well as your brake levers and cabling,as length would differ..

Unless you really know what your'e doing,I would give this to a bike shop to do,but get it all priced up first,as like you say,you may be cheaper going for a new bike and keep your hybrid as a winter bike (thats what I did) ;)

It can be done,but much depends on what you have already.

I'm far from being an expert on these things and some of the other guys may be able to give you better advice,but here goes!

Firstly,you would need to buy the same diameter handlebars as existing,or you would need to change your stem.

Not knowing what kind of gearing you have,there's a good chance you would also need to change your shifters,front deraillieur and rear cassette,as well as your brake levers and cabling,as length would differ..

Unless you really know what your'e doing,I would give this to a bike shop to do,but get it all priced up first,as like you say,you may be cheaper going for a new bike and keep your hybrid as a winter bike (thats what I did) ;)

The other bit of advice I would give is that consider why you are changing. If you think you will use the lower drop down bars all the time then you won't.

My riding position on the road bike is almost as upright as on my hybrid most of the time.

Go to a bike shop and sit on a road bike to get an idea of the set up of the bars and then consider again. A hybrid and a road bike are so different I think it may be a mistake getting drop bars put on a hybrid - but only my opinion.

The other bit of advice I would give is that consider why you are changing. If you think you will use the lower drop down bars all the time then you won't.

My riding position on the road bike is almost as upright as on my hybrid most of the time.

Go to a bike shop and sit on a road bike to get an idea of the set up of the bars and then consider again. A hybrid and a road bike are so different I think it may be a mistake getting drop bars put on a hybrid - but only my opinion.

100% agree with this

Been to 2 bike shops today and both said 2 punctures in 5 days is just really unlucky.

Both said that as tyres are relatively new just to persevere with them, keep them inflated properly and replace them with firmer tyres when they need to be replaced if I still want to.

Another two inner tubes bought in preparation for my distance cycle on Monday. :(

Been to 2 bike shops today and both said 2 punctures in 5 days is just really unlucky.

Both said that as tyres are relatively new just to persevere with them, keep them inflated properly and replace them with firmer tyres when they need to be replaced if I still want to.

Another two inner tubes bought in preparation for my distance cycle on Monday. :(

Tbh,I think they're absolutely right.

Even if you buy some of the top end tyres which are meant to be more puncture proof,it really depends on what you hit that causes it,as one of the guys this morning managed to get a puncture caused with a screw nail,which would have penetrated armour plating,far less a rubber tyre.

Also ripped a lump out of his tyre,rendering it useless and luckily one of the other guys had a spare fold up tyre with him.

Between my two bikes,I've manage to travel just over 2,500 puncture free miles since last June,but got one last week,some 20 yards from home

I'm off work on Monday and like you thinking about doing a decent run.

Planning to go out to Balfron and maybe beyond,but a round trip of 70'ish miles is my target

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Thats it ive fkin had it with my road bike useless piece of shite.

Three trips out, three punctures and i hate fkin walkin (forgot pump for spare tube)

I now have a £300-£400 budget for "A" bike any ideas ?

:angry:

Before you do anything that drastic,can I ask a question?

Do you make sure your tyres are at the right pressure each time before you go out?

To me if you've had 3 punctures in three outings,it sounds like your tyres may be underflated and the punctures are caused by your tyres/tubes "checking"

I really cant stress enough how important it is to make sure your tyres are inflated to maximum,or near maximum pressure before every trip.

If you are serious about changing,this Giant bike is worth a look. link

Although £45 above your budget,is well worth that wee bit extra

Thats it ive fkin had it with my road bike useless piece of shite.

Three trips out, three punctures and i hate fkin walkin (forgot pump for spare tube)

I now have a £300-£400 budget for "A" bike any ideas ?

:angry:

3 punctures in 3 trips is extreme. I'd check the tyres and wheels as that is an incredible run of luck or problems with tyres- better ones can just change everything like that. It may well be that something is still up with the tyre, hence you keep fixing it, but glass or something else sharp keeps damaging the tube.

Well I'm heading off to do some cycling in France for my hols, I've got a spare inner and a spares kit (washers,chain links etc) along with pumps etc. Does anyone have suggestions for other things they would take "Just in case!".

PS we are staying in the middle of nowhere

Edited by budmiester1

Its pure unluckynessness

before venturing out ive put the tyres to optimum

Its purely down to gay bits of glass on path. (grrrrr)

I will probs go for some kinda tourin bike.

Paisley-Greenock, or Paisley-irvine

I hate fkin glass !!!

I've got a road bike though and even though I travel through the Buckfast Recycling paths around Paisley have had no problem with punctures despite awful amounts of Glass.

What tyres are on it the now?

Well I'm heading off to do some cycling in France for my hols, I've got a spare inner and a spares kit (washers,chain links etc) along with pumps etc. Does anyone have suggestions for other things they would take "Just in case!".

I'd suggest taking a spare folding tyre, and a couple more inner tubes, TBH.

I've never toured or taken the bike abroad (yet), so always operate on the basis that, worst case scenario, I can always give the missus a bell to come and get me in the motor.

If I was going further afield without that option, or a bike store fairly handy, I'd always take a spare tyre as a temporary boot might not do the job. The biggest concern would be getting a puncture and having to ride with it for a hundred yards or so in order to stop somewhere safe. This can completely shred your tyre, and you're buggered.

Take a tyre boot as well, though, and a few cable ties and some gaffer tape (take it off the roll and wrap it round your pump or somewhere else out the way). Cable ties and gaffer tape can be a God send when it comes to emergency repairs.

Oh, and though it seems a bit obvious - remember to take enough money out with you!

*waits for UTN's suggestion as to whether fruit or cherry scones should be taken and Earl Grey or Fruit Infusion tea...:lol:

Just back from a 50 mile cycle round East Lothian with my PFS partner who was slightly worse for wear following a hard weekend drinking!!

Took us over 3 hours, first 25 miles straight into the wind but practically got blown back to Dunbar downhill and downwind!!

Just back from a 50 mile cycle round East Lothian with my PFS partner who was slightly worse for wear following a hard weekend drinking!!

Took us over 3 hours, first 25 miles straight into the wind but practically got blown back to Dunbar downhill and downwind!!

Are you doing the 100 mile route?

Even yet, I'm swithering.

I've never toured or taken the bike abroad (yet), so always operate on the basis that, worst case scenario, I can always give the missus a bell to come and get me in the motor.

On the tour front me and a my mate have been looking at our charoty rides that AMR offer. And there is a London to Paris cycle which we plan to do within the next two years.

Did the photographer ever put up the unidentified pics from that day

Edited by paisleysaints

On the tour front me and a my mate have been looking at our charoty rides that AMR offer. And there is a London to Paris cycle which we plan to do within the next two years.

Did the photographer ever put up the unidentified pics from that day

Nah, I emailed them last week but didn't hear back and have checked the site a few times but there is nothing else on there. A bit disappointing, really, as I had used my late father-in-law's bike in his memory, and wanted to give my mother-in-law a photo.

I quite fancy a tour sometime. The London - Paris looks good. How long does it take?

Nah, I emailed them last week but didn't hear back and have checked the site a few times but there is nothing else on there. A bit disappointing, really, as I had used my late father-in-law's bike in his memory, and wanted to give my mother-in-law a photo.

I quite fancy a tour sometime. The London - Paris looks good. How long does it take?

There are two options a 3 day trek ot a 5 day trek and at the end you get to take in the TDF. Yeah thats a poor showing by that guy if he said they would go up

*waits for UTN's suggestion as to whether fruit or cherry scones should be taken and Earl Grey or Fruit Infusion tea...:lol:

Thats a ridiculous statement to make.

It's France he's going to,everyone knows it should be a croissant and a coffee :P

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Went out out early this morning and it was bloody freezing.

For the first time since last winter,had to use my wee thermal hat inside my bike helmet!

Headed up towards North third,then up to Carron revesvoir,before heading towards Fintry,then Balfron Station and back with a few wee detours.

Total was 65 miles,the first half of which was mostly into a headwind ,but a really good scenic route.

On another topic,I went into local Halford today for a wee look.

They had a set of Bloc Stealth cycling glasses,with three different coloured interchangeable lenses,with no price on them.

The guy punched in the code and told me they were £20,which I paid and more or less ran out of the store.

Just looked at their website and they should have been £39.99!! :lol:

Needless to say,I'll be going back to Halfords tomorrow and giving them the other £20 :ph34r: