Official P&b Cycling Thread

I finished the Sportive Ride in bang on 6 hours cycling time with a 15 minute break in the middle so I reckon my time in The Sun on Tuesday will show about 6hrs 20 mins or so.

The first 40 miles were the most brutal I have cycled, driving rain, into the wind on very exposed and often very poor condition roads. The next 30 miles were a bit hillier - there was one brute of a hill which I had to push the last 50 yards of but was quite happy as many others had to push from the bottom!! It truly was a stonker, I thought I had conquered it, got to the top to find it switched back for another 100 yards and my legs caved in eventually.

The last 30 miles was a bit of a sprint to the end, finishing by going through Murrayfield was awesome, can't wait to see the photos, there will be one of me going halfway up that brute of a hill still cycling at the time! The photos going through Murrayfield should look great with the stands behind you.

Well done to all who took part, regardless of your time you will have got there and that's what counts.

If we all stay on thread for the next year or so it would be great to do the Sportive together to give you guys something to work to.:D

Hmm, Sportive next year- not too sure about that yet, my legs were feeling it when I got to the cycle track in Edinburgh! Very well done on the time and run though, 900 people did the Sportive.

You make a good point on the potholes- my water bottle flew out at Easterhouse when I hit a pothole, big dent in it, could barely get it back on when I refilled it at Kirkliston! Damn bumpy roads!

I know some of the roads down to Kilmarnock are tough- must have been really tough on a bike esp with weather- did you get away from the wet weather before Edinburgh?

Loved going through Murrayfield, it is a cracking stadium and one I've been to loads so to be pitchside was great, I hope the photo will be good lol!

"The first 40 miles were the most brutal I have cycled", "very exposed and often very poor condition roads". "The next 30 miles were a bit hillier" - "one brute of a hill !" "It truly was a stonker, "

If we all stay on thread for the next year or so it would be great to do the Sportive together to give you guys something to work to.:D

Can I just say, you're not exactly selling this to us biggrin.gif

UtN, I'll call the shop up tomorrow and see what they say.

I feel slightly embarassed at my time of 5hr30' for the Challenge ride, when I see that the Sportive was conquered in 6 :ph34r:

Nah, I'm quite happy with that. I only started cycling again in April after a 2-year absence and I was on a hybrid, so fairly pleasing. I'd like to think I'll beat it next year (and yes, despite almost dying on some of the hills, I'm aiming to do it again next year, although can't commit too far in advance, natch).

Well done to everyone else who finished both routes.

Edited by The Master

I feel slightly embarassed at my time of 5'30" for the Challenge ride, when I see that the Sportive was conquered in 6 :ph34r:

Nah, I'm quite happy with that. I only started cycling again in April after a 2-year absence and I was on a hybrid, so fairly pleasing. I'd like to think I'll beat it next year (and yes, despite almost dying on some of the hills, I'm aiming to do it again next year, although can't commit too far in advance, natch).

Absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. Who cares how long it took? You entered, and you finished. That is ALL that really matters.

Well done :)

3 hours 26 mins for the challenge ride today. Very happy as I would have settled for 4 hours. Very slow at the start as people have said due to the number of people who were on bikes for the first time it seemed. Was anyone else abused by a middle aged geezer telling groups of riders that "yer aw bams"? Ahh the banter.

To all who participated in PFS today,can I ask if you returned home with your bike by train,what were the arrangements and facilities like?

I heard last year was an absolute nightmere,with some folks having to wait around 4 hours to be able to get a space for then and their bikes on some trains.

To be honest,this is one of the things that kinds of puts me off entering,as especially on a day like today,I wouldn't fancy having to cycle back to Larbert having just done 100 miles in these conditions

To all who participated in PFS today,can I ask if you returned home with your bike by train,what were the arrangements and facilities like?

I heard last year was an absolute nightmere,with some folks having to wait around 4 hours to be able to get a space for then and their bikes on some trains.

To be honest,this is one of the things that kinds of puts me off entering,as especially on a day like today,I wouldn't fancy having to cycle back to Larbert having just done 100 miles in these conditions

We reserved spaces on the East Coast service back to Dundee. Bikes were stowed in what could almost be considered the guard's van, a wee compartment at the end of the front coach.

But at Haymarket, people going to Glasgow seemed to be having bother, because the announcements were directing them onto the Hellensburgh trains, which seemingly have more space for bikes.

Edited by The Master

We reserved spaces on the East Coast service back to Dundee. Bikes were stowed in what could almost be considered the guard's van, a wee compartment at the end of the front coach.

But at Haymarket, people going to Glasgow seemed to be having bother, because the announcements were directing them onto the Hellensburgh trains, which seemingly have more space for bikes.

IMO,its the one thing the organisers really need to get sorted out for future events.

I know they run a bike transportation service from Edinburgh to Glasgow after the race,but it doesn't make any drop off stops along the route,which is a bit unfair

To be honest if you are going to Glasgow and you take the train back you are asking for trouble. Of course that is different if you are going to Falkirk etc.

Essentially the organisers expect people to drive to Glasgow/Edinburgh and drive home again. Equally one suggestion noted to me was to take the transport back to Glasgow and trains from there as it is quieter!

Oh aye, forgot to mention: I was clattered from behind just before Drumpellier, though it was more the fault of the people who had decided to stop on a corner (forcing me to slow down) than the guy who did it. No damage done though and I managed to...ahem..."stay on my feet", albeit after a bit of a wobble.

And also a word for those who were involved in considerably more serious accidents; I know of at least three (the guy at the bottom of the hill before Drumpellier and two women who were hit by cars in separate incidents). The important thing is that they're OK.

Oh and just as I was finishing, something very similar to this happened to another guy:

One of those "shouldn't laugh, but" moments!

Edited by The Master

I brought my bike to glasgow well before the start date and made sure i had a mate in edinburgh who could take my bike for a few days in his flat. Thats worked out pretty well for me.

That sounds likie a good strategy.

I'm thinking about the sportive next year, and a friend of my missus stays in Edinburgh so I'll either crash there for the night and jump the Helensburgh train the next day, or leave the bike, return home, and pick it up later.

Oh aye, forgot to mention: I was clattered from behind just before Drumpellier, though it was more the fault of the people who had decided to stop on a corner (forcing me to slow down) than the guy who did it. No damage done though and I managed to...ahem..."stay on my feet", albeit after a bit of a wobble.

And also a word for those who were involved in considerably more serious accidents; I know of at least three (the guy at the bottom of the hill before Drumpellier and two women who were hit by cars in separate incidents). The important thing is that they're OK.

Oh and just as I was finishing, something very similar to this happened to another guy:

Wee bumps happen in crowds esp when going slowly or when you have so many cyclists of differing speeds and confidence levels finding their level and get with others of the same pace. It was one of the difficult things, trying to pass folk carefully to get with others your pace.

In actual fact I had a wee clip accidentally as we went into a food station. We were going slow anyway so it was like bumping into someone else walking along a shopping street on a busy Saturday afternoon. Just caught arm/shoulder apologised and no harm done. Mind you someone else decided to tell us that we were too close- yeah I figured, it was a mistake. I bit my tongue about what I thought about them weaving and blocking traffic earlier!

On that point why were so many people not waving cars past when there was opportunity. I did, got good reactions from the drivers and it didn't affect my ride at all but so many were just happy to leave the drivers struggling to get by. There choice eh?

Someone came off their bike on Edinburgh Road in Glasgow not much in front of me, I only saw her getting back up through those who stopped to help I think she must have hit a pothole. I think they'd been an accident just before Linlithgow as we were told to slow down due to surface by the Police at one point and a few folk were stopped round that corner. Hope everyone was ok.

I feel slightly embarassed at my time of 5hr30' for the Challenge ride, when I see that the Sportive was conquered in 6 :ph34r:

Master, the most important two things about your post is that you finished and that you enjoyed it enough to do it again next year. Hills are always a disaster for guys (and gals) who are not used to being on a bike, the one at Avonbridge must have killed a few of the Challenge riders and even the long hill out of Linlithgow can be a sore one when you have been riding for so long.

I think relying on public transport for these kind of things is always going to be tough. When there is over 10,000 people taking part how do you expect a few extra trains and buses to cope? There is nothing to stop friends and family driving through to the end with a bike rack to pick you up, fortunately my car is big enough to get the bike in the back with the rear seats down so mine got tossed in there and I lay next to it on the short drive to SQ.

Having originally thought I set off at 9am, it turns out it was 9.30 (goodness knows why I was half an hour out...possibly because it was the time we reached Glasgow Green). So in reality, I took 5 hours, and with about 20 minutes of stops that makes a total cycling time of 4hrs40'.

Wee bumps happen in crowds esp when going slowly or when you have so many cyclists of differing speeds and confidence levels finding their level and get with others of the same pace. It was one of the difficult things, trying to pass folk carefully to get with others your pace.

In actual fact I had a wee clip accidentally as we went into a food station. We were going slow anyway so it was like bumping into someone else walking along a shopping street on a busy Saturday afternoon. Just caught arm/shoulder apologised and no harm done. Mind you someone else decided to tell us that we were too close- yeah I figured, it was a mistake. I bit my tongue about what I thought about them weaving and blocking traffic earlier!

On that point why were so many people not waving cars past when there was opportunity. I did, got good reactions from the drivers and it didn't affect my ride at all but so many were just happy to leave the drivers struggling to get by. There choice eh?

Someone came off their bike on Edinburgh Road in Glasgow not much in front of me, I only saw her getting back up through those who stopped to help I think she must have hit a pothole. I think they'd been an accident just before Linlithgow as we were told to slow down due to surface by the Police at one point and a few folk were stopped round that corner. Hope everyone was ok.

Someone took a sore one outside the Footballers pub in Linlithgow. Hopefully they are ok but I am not surprised after seeing some of the riding. There were a few near misses at a roundabout in Linlithgow as those on bikes obviously decided to bash on regardless of the rules of the road. What really pissed me off was the 100 odd who saw an elderly lady half way across a zebra crossing but thought it would be fun to speed past her so she was trapped half way across the road. Arseholes.

Aye, there was some pretty dodgy riding right enough - surprisingly from the ones on carbon fibre bikes & wearing skintight racing colours (like SKY). These guys would barge past groups stopped at lights to get to the front, barely pause to see if anything was coming and cross anyway. Or the ones that took the wrong lane entirely to jump the lights leading onto Alexandria Parade. It's people like them that give cyclists a bad name and cause road rage.

Just an aside but I tend to find the ones wearing "all the gear" aren't the ones who give you a nod & a smile when you pass them on the road.