Official P&b Cycling Thread

Just took up cycling about a year ago. I did two charity rides this year; the pedal for Scotland challenge, then an internal company one which was 55 miles over a relatively flat course (apart from round Loch Catrine). I took 4 hours 5 minutes for the 55 miles, which is about 13.5 mph.

I intend to notch things up a level next year. I've entered the Kinross Sportive middle ride in April, which is about 68 miles.

Getting the distances seems relatively easy. Just keep doing a regular (once a week e.g). lengthy ride, and increase gradually towards the target distance.

What I'd really like to do though is increase my average speed. I'd like to aim for 15mph for Kinross. Reading training tips in mags/on the internet there is a lot of talk about "power" as being a key component to achieving this. My understanding is that this means increasing strength (e.g. squats in the gym) and also speed (through HIIT). I've started doing both these. For the HIIT I do 30 seconds flat out then 1 minute recovery. So far the longst I've managed to keep this going is 20 minutes.

Any thoughts from the experienced guys? Any tips welcome. :)

Edited by printer

Just took up cycling about a year ago. I did two charity rides this year; the pedal for Scotland challenge, then an internal company one which was 55 miles over a relatively flat course (apart from round Loch Catrine). I took 4 hours 5 minutes for the 55 miles, which is about 13.5 mph.

I intend to notch things up a level next year. I've entered the Kinross Sportive middle ride in April, which is about 68 miles.

Getting the distances seems relatively easy. Just keep doing a regular (once a week e.g). lengthy ride, and increase gradually towards the target distance.

What I'd really like to do though is increase my average speed. I'd like to aim for 15mph for Kinross. Reading training tips in mags/on the internet there is a lot of talk about "power" as being a key component to achieving this. My understanding is that this means increasing strength (e.g. squats in the gym) and also speed (through HIIT). I've started doing both these. For the HIIT I do 30 seconds flat out then 1 minute recovery. So far the longst I've managed to keep this going is 20 minutes.

Any thoughts from the experienced guys? Any tips welcome. :)

Don't get too hung up about average speed.

There are too many factors to be considered,with weather and the actual route the obvious two.

However,type and weight of bike,tyres,tyre pressure, etc,etc etc are all contibuting factors as well,as is solo or group cycling.

Power to weight ratio is the key physical factor and if you keep going out and watch your diet ,these two should look after themselves.

I was touching 16 stone when I started cycling (in fact the reason I started) and could average 13-14 mph on a run of say 20-25 miles.

I'm now under 14 stone and can average 19-20mph quite easily on runs of 60-70 mile plus, but didnt really do any special training or analyse how this could be achieved.

Just enjoy it

'

There are too many factors to be considered,with weather and the actual route the obvious two.

However,type and weight of bike,tyres,tyre pressure, etc,etc etc are all contibuting factors as well,as is solo or group cycling.

Power to weight ratio is the key physical factor and if you keep going out and watch your diet ,these two should look after themselves.

I was touching 16 stone when I started cycling (in fact the reason I started) and could average 13-14 mph on a run of say 20-25 miles.

I'm now under 14 stone and can average 19-20mph quite easily on runs of 60-70 mile plus, but didnt really do any special training or analyse how this could be achieved.

Just enjoy it

'

This.

You develop bike fitness over years, apparently. I think it is better to aim to increase your mileage first, and then concern yourself with average MHP later if this is your thing.

Setting goals such as a few sportives throughout the year is a good idea, and works weill in terms of keeping motivation levels up in my experience.

Whenever I go through a phase of concentrating on my pace and other 'performance' factors, I all too often forget to enjoy my riding. There is a time for pushing yourself, but there's also a time for enjoying the scenery, and time out from the day-to-day pressures we all experience. Putting yourself under greater pressure to perform while in the saddle can detract from that if you focus too much on it.

A couple of times I've returned home from a ride and realised that I didn't take the opportunity to soak in what was going on round about me. I was out on Saturday, and before leaving the house, had decided to ensure that I take time to experience the changing season scenery on offer, and I'm glad I did. My bike computer tells me I averaged about 16mph on the ride, and I'm fine with that given it was a hilly route, but it would have made no odds had I read 15 or even 14mph, to be honest.

It seems to me that by getting out routinely, you can only improve as a cyclist. The science is all well and good, but there is no substitute for simply getting on your bike and enjoying yourself.

I use one of these - or a variation on a theme. Magicshine I think the brand calls itself, but I'm sure it is just a generic light. I paid £50, though, and waited an age for delivery from overseas.

As you say, it is ridiculously bright, and mine has been reliable so far. You can't go far wrong for £30.

Just enjoy it

'

Cheers.

This.

You develop bike fitness over years, apparently. I think it is better to aim to increase your mileage first, and then concern yourself with average MHP later if this is your thing.

Setting goals such as a few sportives throughout the year is a good idea, and works weill in terms of keeping motivation levels up in my experience.

Whenever I go through a phase of concentrating on my pace and other 'performance' factors, I all too often forget to enjoy my riding. There is a time for pushing yourself, but there's also a time for enjoying the scenery, and time out from the day-to-day pressures we all experience. Putting yourself under greater pressure to perform while in the saddle can detract from that if you focus too much on it.

A couple of times I've returned home from a ride and realised that I didn't take the opportunity to soak in what was going on round about me. I was out on Saturday, and before leaving the house, had decided to ensure that I take time to experience the changing season scenery on offer, and I'm glad I did. My bike computer tells me I averaged about 16mph on the ride, and I'm fine with that given it was a hilly route, but it would have made no odds had I read 15 or even 14mph, to be honest.

It seems to me that by getting out routinely, you can only improve as a cyclist. The science is all well and good, but there is no substitute for simply getting on your bike and enjoying yourself.

Thanks, mate. Sounds like good advice from you both.

My commute takes me through glasgow city centre so all the streets are well lit. Is there any reason i should spend 30 quid on the above light when i could get these for £4 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATER-RESISTANCE-5-LED-BIKE-BICYCLE-HEAD-REAR-LIGHT-6-MODES-/120799153698?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item1c2030ce22

Just back from Campbeltown after doing the MOKBike challenge - phew!

Did 5 miles of the MTB course before I had to bale out (back wheel just spinning in the mud with no traction). Hurriedly made my way back to the start and joined in the 33 mile Sanda ride. They said it was hilly blink.gif Sweet Baby Cheeses!. Absolutely knackered and although my average speed was only about 10-11 mph, considering the hills and a maximum recorded of 35mph (on gravel) I'm quite happy. Especially as I finished 5th out of the 2 dozen or so who started.

Think the 70 or 105 mile routes would be stern tests for some of the better riders here.

The scenery was awesome though. Crystal clear views of Arran & Antrim.

Just back from Campbeltown after doing the MOKBike challenge - phew!

Did 5 miles of the MTB course before I had to bale out (back wheel just spinning in the mud with no traction). Hurriedly made my way back to the start and joined in the 33 mile Sanda ride. They said it was hilly blink.gif Sweet Baby Cheeses!. Absolutely knackered and although my average speed was only about 10-11 mph, considering the hills and a maximum recorded of 35mph (on gravel) I'm quite happy. Especially as I finished 5th out of the 2 dozen or so who started.

Think the 70 or 105 mile routes would be stern tests for some of the better riders here.

The scenery was awesome though. Crystal clear views of Arran & Antrim.

Well played. Sounds like a good day, if tough at times.

It was another cracking day for getting out on the bike today....and I just so happened to be on annual leave 8)

I opted for a 56 mile route (though, to be honest, I'd forgotten it was quite as far as that) including a few challenging climbs, most notably the BEAST (yes, the BEAST) that is the Peaton Road, with no less than a 17% gradient. Now, wihle I've never had to walk it yet, I can genuinely say that I suspect I could walk it quicker (stroll, in fact). It is a belter of a descent at the other side (42mph this afternoon), and that - just about - makes the murderous climb worthwhile.

My lack of bike fitness was telling, today, though. I was blowing out my arse at times, and while the hilly route didn't help, I can't put it down to that entirely. I've just not been out enough this year, and it is blatantly obvious. Still, glad I went out today, and can't see many more days as good as this before the Spring, so you have to take any oportunity.

Last year I did my last run at the end of October and wasn't out again until mid-February. I'm determined that's not happening again so I've stocked up on foul weather gear and even put mudguards on the bike.

Spot-on.

That is the only way to maintain any level of fitness. I've got the same intentions. Got to keep it going.

Last year I did my last run at the end of October and wasn't out again until mid-February. I'm determined that's not happening again so I've stocked up on foul weather gear and even put mudguards on the bike.

surely mudguards were required before? I used to get mockit no matter where i went

Ahoy! I've recently, very recently, just taking up cycling to lose weight and get fit. As I'm exceptionally skint, I could only afford a shitey £80 Halfords mountain bike (this one: http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165499).

I've been going out quite regularly for the past couple of weeks, doing this route;

post-12228-0-41190700-1350482787_thumb.p

Google says it's about 12.7 miles. It takes me roughly 2 hours, because I'm so incredibly out of shape and unfit. There are a couple of large hills which I have to walk up after getting as far up as I can. Basically do any of you have any general hints or advice? I got a gel filled saddle which is a massive help. I think though that the back brakes are slightly rubbing against the wheel, slowing me down a bit. I've tried loosening them a bit, but then they don't get enough friction on the wheel when I brake as they're too far apart.

Ahoy! I've recently, very recently, just taking up cycling to lose weight and get fit. As I'm exceptionally skint, I could only afford a shitey £80 Halfords mountain bike (this one: http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165499).

I've been going out quite regularly for the past couple of weeks, doing this route;

Google says it's about 12.7 miles. It takes me roughly 2 hours, because I'm so incredibly out of shape and unfit. There are a couple of large hills which I have to walk up after getting as far up as I can. Basically do any of you have any general hints or advice? I got a gel filled saddle which is a massive help. I think though that the back brakes are slightly rubbing against the wheel, slowing me down a bit. I've tried loosening them a bit, but then they don't get enough friction on the wheel when I brake as they're too far apart.

As Busta says, keep at it. There's no substitute for that.

I'd suggest varying your route from time to time to avoid becoming bored or demoralised by the hills you mention. In saying that, in using the same route quite often, you'll soon see the progress you're making when you whittle down your time and thrash those hills.

Want a challenge? Try the Cairneyhill to Carnock back-road eventually, it'll keep you in good shape seeing as it's like this for a mile up the hill (pretty much straight apart from the occasional 90o turns of death): wink.gif

post-13234-0-73626200-1350488691_thumb.j

Up is utter, utter hell, but down? Whooooft! What a speed you can get. Thinking about it, Saline-Carnock-Cairneyhill-Oakley-Saline (in that order!!) could be a cracker of a fun but fast and deadly route for the now. Problem is i) it involves going to Oakley and ii) teenagers at the driving range like trying to hit things coming their direction, i.e. you.

Edit: Difficult to appreciate in that picture actually, something Electric-Brae-ish going on in photo form.

Edited by Hedgecutter