Official P&b Cycling Thread

Are they connected to the Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club?

I have absolutely no idea :lol: .

I sent an email to one of the guys the other night who told me they meet up at St James Retail park on Sunday mornings for a 30 mile-ish run. Been looking to take my cycling a wee bit more seriously so it's worth a go I think. :)

Don't know about that club particularly but a few guys on here have commented that joining a club is good for keeping the motivation going together with developing new challenges.

That's what I was thinking. At least if I join a club then there is that kind of motivation to haul my arse out of bed. If I've made plans to meet people I'm going to get up and ready, as opposed to hitting snooze and thinking "I'll just give it an hour".

That's what I was thinking. At least if I join a club then there is that kind of motivation to haul my arse out of bed. If I've made plans to meet people I'm going to get up and ready, as opposed to hitting snooze and thinking "I'll just give it an hour".

I'd thoroughly recommend it mate.

I joined one and love it.

As you say,it motivates you and riding in a group is fucking brilliant and safer.

You'll find your bike handling skills,fitness levels and just sheer enjoyment increase.

Before I joined I was happy just doing 20 miles here and there,but now think nothing of doing 60 -100 in one run.

We even went out on Sunday just past and did 62 miles, in -5oC windchill with 23mph head winds and it was brilliant

This cold weather better bugger off my i should be counting down the days to lycra weather not thermal days lol I've thought about the cycle clubs but my local ones generally go out on sundays which is just no use to me as i've got other things on at that time. But generally i've no problem going out and rattling 40 plus miles either myself or with a mate!! But i may join up and do the odd run every few sundays, As i'd like to try the group thing

Edited by paisleysaints

Is Carrera a decent make? I'm probably just going to go to Halford's to get mine. They seem to know what they're doing.

I was thinking about this one.

No

Halfords are useless mate

What's your maximum budget?

I appreciate another £130 but a much better bike IMO

http://m.evanscycles.com/products/scott/metrix-40-2012-hybrid-bike-ec041674

Edited by Unleash The Nade

I'd thoroughly recommend it mate.

I joined one and love it.

As you say,it motivates you and riding in a group is fucking brilliant and safer.

You'll find your bike handling skills,fitness levels and just sheer enjoyment increase.

Before I joined I was happy just doing 20 miles here and there,but now think nothing of doing 60 -100 in one run.

We even went out on Sunday just past and did 62 miles, in -5oC windchill with 23mph head winds and it was brilliant

It seems like a good way of pushing myself further on the bike. So I'll probably go and meet up with them next weekend.

Went out today up to Eaglesham with a mate. Was a lovely ride until we encountered about a mile or so of this:

post-3435-13643406822748_thumb.jpg

I rode through a bit of it before nearly ending up on my arse then I got off and walked a bit of it. Even just rolling over it I could feel the back wheel stepping out.

Lovely day for it otherwise. Just chilly enough to mean you're never overly warm. :)

No

Halfords are useless mate

What's your maximum budget?

I appreciate another £130 but a much better bike IMO

http://m.evanscycles.com/products/scott/metrix-40-2012-hybrid-bike-ec041674

See, I was planning on Halford's simply because it's a big company. I've checked the prices of the local cycle shops and they're extortionate. I have a budget of c. £270. I don't really want to spend any more than that if possible. I can expand slightly.

I agree that local bike shops can be eye-wateringly dear but Halfords get a bad rep for quality control and service. If you can, get yourself along to Decathlon at the Fort. A bigger range on show than either Halfords or local bike shops, good staff and reasonable prices. Have a look online first.

I agree that local bike shops can be eye-wateringly dear but Halfords get a bad rep for quality control and service. If you can, get yourself along to Decathlon at the Fort. A bigger range on show than either Halfords or local bike shops, good staff and reasonable prices. Have a look online first.

This.

Decathlon have just refreshed their bikes and the much loved Winter Commuter special the Triban 3 has/is being replaced.

This.

Decathlon have just refreshed their bikes and the much loved Winter Commuter special the Triban 3 has/is being replaced.

So they have - I see the new Triban 3A is cheaper but doesn't have the carbon forks. Still a good bike for the money though.

My first proper bike was from Halfords. I kept having to take it back for repairs as they wouldn't issue a refund.

I had an indy shop do a report that was scathing - broken teeth, poor chain construction, poor quality gearset...basically, everything that could be wrong, was wrong.

I got a refund. I found, though, that no matter what I said to the manager at that point, it was "in a bad tone". Funny, that...

The higher price and spec bikes that Halfords sell (Carrera and Boardman) are decent bikes for the most part, but I wouldn't go near them for maintenance.

I can't think of any major reason not to consider buying a bike from them, then using my local shop for repairs (or, even better, attempting them myself in the first instance). The bike should be reasonably well set up out the poke, or require only minor tweaking that a half-way knowledgeable rider or more experienced mate should be up to.

I've had another imposed lay-off due to the recurrence of a herniated disc in my back. Absolutely brutal, so it was. A real sickener, too, just as I was in the right place mentally to get back (no pun intended) into it. The back has cleared up a bit, though, so I'm looking to get out next week some time (couple of commutes and a weekend ride, hopefully). It would be a bonus if the average temperatures can rise above 4oC, right enough.

No half, but no likely in Scotland I don't think :P

Aye, I'm not holding my breath. I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I've found over the last year that I can't hack the cold nearly as much as I used to. I'm putting it down to age, though it seemed a pretty sudden change. I'm okay down to around 4oC, but much colder and it pretty much kills my enjoyment.

Pussy? Perhaps, but I tend to go out on the bike in order to enjoy the experience. I can force myself on the odd occasion when not in the mood, but when my hands get so cold and painful that I feel physically sick, I start to wonder what the point is.

The higher price and spec bikes that Halfords sell (Carrera and Boardman) are decent bikes for the most part, but I wouldn't go near them for maintenance.

I can't think of any major reason not to consider buying a bike from them, then using my local shop for repairs (or, even better, attempting them myself in the first instance). The bike should be reasonably well set up out the poke, or require only minor tweaking that a half-way knowledgeable rider or more experienced mate should be up to.

I've had another imposed lay-off due to the recurrence of a herniated disc in my back. Absolutely brutal, so it was. A real sickener, too, just as I was in the right place mentally to get back (no pun intended) into it. The back has cleared up a bit, though, so I'm looking to get out next week some time (couple of commutes and a weekend ride, hopefully). It would be a bonus if the average temperatures can rise above 4oC, right enough.

Sympathy, Drooper. I also hurt my back shovelling snow at the weekend - torture! No cycling this week!