Official P&b Cycling Thread

First proper training ride (i.e. pushed myself because I was with a fitter mate) this year last night. Twenty miles over the hills taking in Slammanan & Shieldhill.

Felt OK, but I've got 44 miles in the Sportive Kinross on 27th April, and I'll be happy just to get round that in any time.

First time cycling into work. Only second time ever cycling on the roads (last night taking the bike home from the shop being the first). 3.1 miles in 14:22. Much quicker than getting the train. Really enjoyed it.

I'm doing a charity cycle in the summer and was wondering if anyone here is doing the same event?

Across the divide - London to Paris in July 275 miles in 4 days

Only took up cycling in December but i'm really enjoying it...hopefully I'm fit enough and able to complete it

Edited by Bowie_1888

Is the Pedal for Scotland on main roads with traffic?? Someone who wants to do the race with me but won't if it's on roads with traffic, she would prefer if it was cycle paths/routes.

For those who've done it before could you clarify? Thanks.

Is the Pedal for Scotland on main roads with traffic?? Someone who wants to do the race with me but won't if it's on roads with traffic, she would prefer if it was cycle paths/routes.

For those who've done it before could you clarify? Thanks.

It's a mixture of roads and paths, but the majority of roads are either closed, or so packed with cyclists they'd might as well be.

There's very little danger from cars.

It's a mixture of roads and paths, but the majority of roads are either closed, or so packed with cyclists they'd might as well be.

There's very little danger from cars.

I agree with you Master, but the enquirer should know that there are a few "unprotected" sections. I'm thinking of a few roundabouts - two in Coatbridge and one in Linlithgow - with quite a bit of traffic and no marshaling. It shouldn't put anyone off, and it was a great day last year. The most dangerous aspect was the mixture of ability/speed of the riders with inclines bringing the unfit to sudden stops, and multilayer overtaking especially in the first few miles.

I agree with you Master, but the enquirer should know that there are a few "unprotected" sections. I'm thinking of a few roundabouts - two in Coatbridge and one in Linlithgow - with quite a bit of traffic and no marshaling. It shouldn't put anyone off, and it was a great day last year. The most dangerous aspect was the mixture of ability/speed of the riders with inclines bringing the unfit to sudden stops, and multilayer overtaking especially in the first few miles.

I agree with Bold Rover to be honest- especially his last sentence!

There are certainly a few open sections with traffic that are busy- through Coatbridge to Caldercruix and through Linlithgow to Kirkliston. Usually the stuff through Airdrie and Coatbridge is OK because you are there early on Sunday Morning and nothing like if you did it this afternoon. The other riders provide an amount of decent protection from traffic and if you want to get confidence to go on the road its good.

I'd like to see PFS do a 70mile run, to take a few of the 'keen' cyclists that don't want to do 110 miles off the 49 mile run and leave the 49 mile run for families having a good time.

I agree with Bold Rover to be honest- especially his last sentence!

There are certainly a few open sections with traffic that are busy- through Coatbridge to Caldercruix and through Linlithgow to Kirkliston. Usually the stuff through Airdrie and Coatbridge is OK because you are there early on Sunday Morning and nothing like if you did it this afternoon. The other riders provide an amount of decent protection from traffic and if you want to get confidence to go on the road its good.

I'd like to see PFS do a 70mile run, to take a few of the 'keen' cyclists that don't want to do 110 miles off the 49 mile run and leave the 49 mile run for families having a good time.

70 mile-ish PFS would be a great idea. Too long for the families and people out for an easy run. But short enough that it's unlikely to kill people like, well, me.

I'm doing a charity cycle in the summer and was wondering if anyone here is doing the same event?

Across the divide - London to Paris in July 275 miles in 4 days

Only took up cycling in December but i'm really enjoying it...hopefully I'm fit enough and able to complete it

how you cycling through the sea?

Went to turn left on the road today, clocked an old woman who was never gonna look and see it something was coming, nearly killed her, luckily I had my wits about me and spotted that she was not gonna bother looking and slowed right down.

A mid range PFS would be great. What puts me off the 100 miler isn't the distance, it's all the boasts about how hilly it is, how challenging it is.

I get bored to be honest at that distance! Just get fed up cycling for that length of time, although I have heard PFS Sportive last year was very difficult.