Official P&b Cycling Thread

Map My Ride or Strava - what's the best cycling app?

I know those are both free to download , but better buying a wee speedometer for your bike and then listen to your body.

Personally I think too many people get hooked into all the data from these apps.

You'll know when your fecked and when you've had a good or tough run .

looking for a hybrid around the £270 mark for commuting into work and some light trail riding at the weekend. carrera subway seems to offer the most bike for the money (disc brakes) however is this offset by each component being of lesser quality than a simpler bike in the same price range (i.e. python lean).

what bikes are recommended in this price range?

Strava's great to see how your doing against everyone else and to measure your improvement.

Check out how much this fellow has been cycling the past few weeks - absolutely insane!

http://app.strava.com/athletes/1738360

Sorry, but this is why I don't like it.

The only person you should be comparing yourself to is you.

You don't know how long these other guys have been doing it,how fit,old,etc they are and whether they've actually cycled it or been in their car !!!.....Oh yes,it's know to have been done

You don't know how long these other guys have been doing it,how fit,old,etc they are and whether they've actually cycled it or been in their car !!!.....Oh yes,it's know to have been done

I don't agree with that. Besides, Strava can be used to check your own improvement against your previous times.

It's a great motivational tool for many cyclists, of course some will take it too far and kill themselves, but the fact that it encourages a lot of people to get out on the bike more is good.

I use Strava to clock my own improvement. I can see from my first few rides to now how my climbing and on the flat has improved.

The segments are great because you feel more motivated to attack a particular climb to get up a few places.

I use Strava and Endomondo, I use them as a way of tracking my times and distance. There is defo a load of folk who say they are doing a shit load of exercise and probably aren't

Cycled in this morning for the first time since the start of the month.

I really need to get back into doing it regularly. It's only three miles but then the slight hill on the final approach about killed me (as did a maniac bus driver just before...).

I don't agree with that. Besides, Strava can be used to check your own improvement against your previous times.

It's a great motivational tool for many cyclists, of course some will take it too far and kill themselves, but the fact that it encourages a lot of people to get out on the bike more is good.

I use Strava to clock my own improvement. I can see from my first few rides to now how my climbing and on the flat has improved.

The segments are great because you feel more motivated to attack a particular climb to get up a few places.

I use Strava and Endomondo, I use them as a way of tracking my times and distance. There is defo a load of folk who say they are doing a shit load of exercise and probably aren't

Sorry Papad,but why compare yourself against others,the majority of whom you don't know?

Like I said and stand by, the best and most accurate way to improve is compare your self against yourself

Sorry Papad,but why compare yourself against others,the majority of whom you don't know?

Like I said and stand by, the best and most accurate way to improve is compare your self against yourself

Or alternatively, you can just enjoy riding?

Yup and this

I think folk can become a bit enslaved in the technology and trying to constanty push for bigger and better things (whether that's all the latest kit or their own performance) and miss the bigger picture sometimes. Its like anything else, I reckon the trick it to get the balance right.

There's no right or wrong about it, to be fair, and it can take a while to get the blance right (I'm still striving for it....).

At the risk of sounding a tad abrupt, why not?

I enjoy seeing how I'm doing against 'pro' riders or guys who I know personally or even those that I don't but are fast. I think this, as well as monitoring your own performances, help make you faster, if that's what you're after.

Anyway, Strava's a bit of fun, I'm sure we can agree on that!