Official P&b Cycling Thread

Great cycling weather again this week. Meant to go downhill tomorrow, so good to enjoy it while it lasts.

While I'm here, I think my poor bike has taken one too many knocks. Even with a full service it's still not feeling right - like it's slightly off-balance. I wonder if the frame has been bent slightly.

So I think I'll be on the lookout for a new bike fairly soon. Another hybrid I think - I wouldn't feel safe on a road bike around here. The potholes are bad enough in a car.

What about a cross bike? Clearance for bigger tyres, a sturdier frame, but many of the benefits of a road bike, and some come with disc brakes. If I had a spare few quid, I might look at this option.

On road bikes, it seems there is now a fashion for fitting them with 25mm tyres. They certainly absorb more of the bumps, but apparently don't sacrifice too much in the way of speed. My next set will be 25s. I've got a set on some spare wheels (Gatorskins), but the Schwalbe Luganos currently fitted to the bike are holding up really well, so they'll be staying put meantime. Very cheap, but do a great job for all that - I can't recommend them highly enough.

Great cycling weather again this week. Meant to go downhill tomorrow, so good to enjoy it while it lasts.

While I'm here, I think my poor bike has taken one too many knocks. Even with a full service it's still not feeling right - like it's slightly off-balance. I wonder if the frame has been bent slightly.

So I think I'll be on the lookout for a new bike fairly soon. Another hybrid I think - I wouldn't feel safe on a road bike around here. The potholes are bad enough in a car.

What about a cross bike? Clearance for bigger tyres, a sturdier frame, but many of the benefits of a road bike, and some come with disc brakes. If I had a spare few quid, I might look at this option.

On road bikes, it seems there is now a fashion for fitting them with 25mm tyres. They certainly absorb more of the bumps, but apparently don't sacrifice too much in the way of speed. My next set will be 25s. I've got a set on some spare wheels (Gatorskins), but the Schwalbe Luganos currently fitted to the bike are holding up really well, so they'll be staying put meantime. Very cheap, but do a great job for all that - I can't recommend them highly enough.

I put slightly broader tires on my road bike after suffering a couple of pinch flats from bumpy roads. It's basically just to give a bit more room for you to go over bumpy parts of road without getting a flat. I'd rather have a slightly heavier tire than have to stop 15 miles from home to sort a puncture.

I'm still totally in love with my cross bike. It can do good speeds on the roads, handles potholes and cobbles with ease and you can ride down a mountain track on it.

They do seem to offer a good all round package. Versatility is important if you like to try out different surfaces and terrains in one ride, or can't afford an entire stable full of bikes.

I've found I struggle to return to my MTB now. Aside from the squeeling disc brakes that I've tried everything in my power (and limited comprehension) to resolve, it is like a bloody tractor after a few thousand miles on the road bike. I would like to go off-road on occasion, though, and a cross is an option. That said, I've only just posted that I'm not intending to let myself get caught up in obssessing over my next purchase, and instead, just get out and ride a bit more. That remains the plan.

I will still lust over titanium steeds from time to time, and just might stretch to one in the next couple of years, but a cheap cross bike for thrashing about might have to figure in there somewhere too.

So many possibilities....

Edited by Drooper

Ahoy.

I've decided that I want a bike to cycle to and from work with and maybe go on slightly rougher terrain but that's not essential. I haven't had a bike in years so I really don't know what to go for and I'm looking at lots of options but I really don't understand what most of it means. Can someone give me a couple of recommendations?

I don't really know what my budget is but I'd prefer not to spend £1000 on the thing, so the cheaper the better. Call it £250. I can probably deal with that, going higher if needs be.

Ahoy.

I've decided that I want a bike to cycle to and from work with and maybe go on slightly rougher terrain but that's not essential. I haven't had a bike in years so I really don't know what to go for and I'm looking at lots of options but I really don't understand what most of it means. Can someone give me a couple of recommendations?

I don't really know what my budget is but I'd prefer not to spend £1000 on the thing, so the cheaper the better. Call it £250. I can probably deal with that, going higher if needs be.

To meet your criteria at that budget I would be looking at a hard tail MTB..

Nothing exotic, make sure it has provision for a rack on the back (which is better than a back pack carrying work clothes), a fairly decent front fork which is more than a bouncy spring, and if possible a disc brake on the front (hydraulic if possible, but I doubt it given the budget)...

Just dinnae buy what Drooper describes as a BSO (bike shaped object) cheap fae Halfords or Toys R Us..... :unsure:

Here's something at £399 to get you thinking....

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Dawes-XC-24-Disc-Mountain-Bike-2013-Hardtail-Race-MTB_61419.htm

Hope this helps..

To meet your criteria at that budget I would be looking at a hard tail MTB..

Nothing exotic, make sure it has provision for a rack on the back (which is better than a back pack carrying work clothes), a fairly decent front fork which is more than a bouncy spring, and if possible a disc brake on the front (hydraulic if possible, but I doubt it given the budget)...

Just dinnae buy what Drooper describes as a BSO (bike shaped object) cheap fae Halfords or Toys R Us..... :unsure:

Here's something at £399 to get you thinking....

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Dawes-XC-24-Disc-Mountain-Bike-2013-Hardtail-Race-MTB_61419.htm

Hope this helps..

I don't know what 'hard tail' means but I'd assume MTB is mountain bike? I was looking at those and 'hybrids'. I don't know what a hybrid is but I assume it's a cross between a mountain bike and a racing bike? I don't want/need a racing bike. I wouldn't use it for those purposes.

That looks decent but it's completely out of my price range. I can maybe stretch a bit further from the £250 but not by much. Thanks for the help though. I'll read up on that and see if I can figure out what it means!

Maybe worth going along to Decathlon at the Fort. They have some pretty good bikes at low prices.

Broon-loon makes a good suggestion, I'd add this one -

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-3-mens-trekking-bike-silver-id_8202746.html

That looks good and more in my price range. I might go into Decathlon and see what they've got to say. There's a bike shop near mine and I haven't been there in years (last time was to get some 'dusties' that were shaped like skull and crossbones. Fucking ace) so I might pop in there tomorrow and see if they can help me; at least help me understand what the differences are or stuff like that.

Thanks for your help so far.

I don't know what 'hard tail' means but I'd assume MTB is mountain bike? I was looking at those and 'hybrids'. I don't know what a hybrid is but I assume it's a cross between a mountain bike and a racing bike? I don't want/need a racing bike. I wouldn't use it for those purposes.

A hybrid is essentially a mountain bike with a thinner frame which is set up to use road tyres. They're generally harder wearing, and a lot lighter and faster than a regular MTB. Seem to have become pretty much the standard commuter bike of choice because they can deal with potholes, as well as not being heavy as f**k.

That looks decent but it's completely out of my price range. I can maybe stretch a bit further from the £250 but not by much. Thanks for the help though. I'll read up on that and see if I can figure out what it means!

That looks good and more in my price range. I might go into Decathlon and see what they've got to say. There's a bike shop near mine and I haven't been there in years (last time was to get some 'dusties' that were shaped like skull and crossbones. Fucking ace) so I might pop in there tomorrow and see if they can help me; at least help me understand what the differences are or stuff like that.

Thanks for your help so far.

Hard tail is a bike (or motorbike) without rear suspension...

You were bang on with MTB.... just be careful as some larger outlets will fob you off with anything for a sale...

NBB seems to have found a decent bike and the good thing is you can see (and touch) it before you buy, always a good thing... ;)

Hybrids are bang on for city commuting, however you did mention going off road hence my MTB suggestion...

MTB's tend to be harder to ride due to the gearing and tyres, but will cope off road... Hybrids are really for road use..

Went out on a club run yesterday and did 62 miles.

It was fine when we left Larbert,altough a bit cold as we headed out East towards Kinross .

Got caught totally unawares and in two blizzards on the way back home.

Never been as cold in my life and cycled in such treacherous conditions......................Yes.I am a total fucking idiot