Official P&b Cycling Thread

Well it's been over 5 months but finally got out on the bike today....

(Foolishly)Decided to use the MTB with its chunky tyres for a wee trip (just over 17 miles) and was struggling for the last 6-7 miles.... :(

The Easterly cold wind was a challenge too..... :unsure:

Good to get out but I think the MTB might get some smoother tyres soon...

I honestly hate the wind, even the slightest of breeze slows me downa nd makes it so so hard

There's nothing quite as soul destroying as a wind that changes direction halfway round meaning you're in an endless headwind.

The road between Eaglesham & Jackton and the Castlemilk bypass have absolutely no cover at the side of the roads, so any wind is straight on you.

Yeah the wind thing is a bane.... You never seem to get the same payback after heading into the wind for ages (as was the intention yesterday 'cause I knew I would struggle after a lay off).... :(

I was thinking of using the MTB to travel to work this year.. I can fit a pannier rack to it for carrying work gear and the chunkier tyres seemed like a good idea given the road conditions after the winter. However after yesterday I will only do this if I can pick up and fit a cheap pair of road tyres ... Otherwise its the back to the road bike and a wee back pack for the 10 mile each way cycle to work.... Not every day mind, I'm no that keen.... ;)

I'm trying to ease myself back into cycling by gradually increasing the frequency and starting slow. It costs the price of a pint for me to park my car each day, so the motivation is definitely there :lol:

Got wiped out at 32mph today

Head hitting the road first

For those of you who don't wear helmets, please think again as I believe it really saved me from much more serious injuries today

Taken to A&E and thankfully nothing broken but a bit battered bruised and shaken up

However my new bikes a bit if a fecking mess

For those of you who don't wear helmets, please think again as I believe it really saved me from much more serious injuries today

Taken to A&E and thankfully nothing broken but a bit battered bruised and shaken up

Jeez, glas to hear you're not badly hurt. I always wear a helmet simply from the principle that it hitting the tarmac first is got to be better than my skull.

What happened pothole/surface or something hit you?

Jeez, glas to hear you're not badly hurt. I always wear a helmet simply from the principle that it hitting the tarmac first is got to be better than my skull.

What happened pothole/surface or something hit you?

Cheers

Nae we were going round a tight corner and the guy alongside me's back wheel just went

Don't know if he hit a wee bit oil or mud

Don't want to think of "what if" too much though and want to get back on a bike as soon as I can

Gonna be stiff as feck tomorrow ( oh er missus)

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Good to hear you are in one piece. I have my helmet on always too, I once hit a bit of gravel and hit my helemt on the ground, good things helmets

Glad to hear you're (reasonably) ok. Might make me consider wearing my helmet again though I doubt I'll ever reach 32mph - even falling.

Really mate you shouldn't be going out without one

I know someone who fell off their bike doing 8mph and had serious head injuries

I'm gonna pick up on this point here..

Cars are surrounded by metal.. bikes urnae.. thats why cyclists get over defensive..

I no longer wear cleats on an open road, i have been lying on a road far too many times unable to unclip thru severly terrible driving.

Paisleysaints, had a good giggle at me keeling over, that was being on a cycle path with nobody around me..

Far too many times i felt cleats were unsafe in my cycling.. unclipped on raods.. clipped whilst on cycle path..

I've got a pair of 105 SPD-SL pedals and I can honestly say I've never felt unsafe on the roads wearing them.

Provided you don't have them tightened up to a ridiculous degree, if you do suddenly panic and wrench straight up the pedal disengages.

Even then, it becomes second nature to twist as you take your foot off the pedal.

First puncture of the year at 6am this morning on the way home from work.I picked a great day weatherwise! :thumbsdown

Bad luck.

I ripped my tyre on Sunday and had to use the old fiver trick to get home. Lucky it wasn't a well used Bank of England note!