Official P&b Cycling Thread

Doh! Sorry, was thinking about PFS.

Meanwhile, I've just had a great time bombing around the Devilla Forest near Kincardine. Miles of varied track from packed earth to stone chippings, great fun. Do-able on a hybrid.

28koy69.gif

Even though I took a printout of the map I got lost a few times and even had to resort to using a compass!

Had my first bike related accident this morning. Nothing too serious thankfully although my left shoulder is pretty painful and I'll probably have a black eye in a few hours.

Some idiot came haring down a hill and round a blind corner just as I was comimg the other way. Thankfully we both braked just in time before there was a collision but the other guy came flying over his handlebars and smacked right into me. It all seemed to happen in slow motion but was obviously a lot quicker as I had no time to avoid this 'flying idiot'. The only good thing, if you can call it good, is that I reckon the other guy probably came off slightly worse than I did. I know motorists get a lot of stick from cyclists at times but I've had a few near misses since I took up cycling again in the last couple of months and it's always been anther cyclist(s) involved.

This morning a BMW driver decided he had to get passed me whilst another car was coming to meet us. It isnae the widest of roads and I was lucky not to get squeezed off the road. He also took exception my 'hand signals and gesturing'. Fu**ing knob.. :angry:

Anyway, chose the road bike today, 8.74 miles, 593 calories aff the belly...

I see the British Cycling National Road Race is in Glasgow on the 23rd of June. Supposedly David Millar and Mark Cavendish are competing.

It looks like a tricky little course with lots of corners. I hope the council have been out fixing all the potholes! The run from Glasgow Uni library down Gibson St is going to be mega fast!

Here's the course: http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/events/NRRC/Documents/8152_nat_rr_ch_road_map%20%282%29.pdf

The Commonwealth Games road race is meant to be following a similar course. Bit of a shame as I would have loved to see it go up the Crow or the Tak (or even Eaglesham) but the road surfaces up there are diabolical.

This morning a BMW driver decided he had to get passed me whilst another car was coming to meet us. It isnae the widest of roads and I was lucky not to get squeezed off the road. He also took exception my 'hand signals and gesturing'. Fu**ing knob.. :angry:

Anyway, chose the road bike today, 8.74 miles, 593 calories aff the belly...

b-l: you cannae have any belly left!

Had my first bike related accident this morning. Nothing too serious thankfully although my left shoulder is pretty painful and I'll probably have a black eye in a few hours.

Some idiot came haring down a hill and round a blind corner just as I was comimg the other way. Thankfully we both braked just in time before there was a collision but the other guy came flying over his handlebars and smacked right into me. It all seemed to happen in slow motion but was obviously a lot quicker as I had no time to avoid this 'flying idiot'. The only good thing, if you can call it good, is that I reckon the other guy probably came off slightly worse than I did. I know motorists get a lot of stick from cyclists at times but I've had a few near misses since I took up cycling again in the last couple of months and it's always been anther cyclist(s) involved.

Where was your accident, mm? I have been known to venture across the border into North Ayrshire.

Doh! Sorry, was thinking about PFS.

Meanwhile, I've just had a great time bombing around the Devilla Forest near Kincardine. Miles of varied track from packed earth to stone chippings, great fun. Do-able on a hybrid.

28koy69.gif

Even though I took a printout of the map I got lost a few times and even had to resort to using a compass!

Allegedly a very popular "dogging" area!

About of a third of the way in to todays ride it started tipping it down. Had to get the head down and just manup and push through. Turned round then the sun came out.....

Now I am sat at home, full of loads of guilt free food, getting a few beers in and had a shower.

Nothing in the world beats that "fuckyeah" feeling of having put in a real hard shift on the saddle and getting the old feet up and restocking the calories via well chilled lagers.

On the section of the Irvine to Kilwinning cycle path alongside the River Garnock.

Too bad. I know where you're talking about, but haven't cycled that part. Last year I cycled to the Ardrossan ferry, but after all the meandering through Irvine, I took my chances on the by-pass for the bit to the Pennyburn roundabout - maybe it's safer than the cycle path!

Today I did a 25 mile circuit up to Ayr one way, back another. The Dalmellington Road past Ayr Hospital isn't fun - sociopathic traffic including a bus gave no room in their rush to get up the Doon Valley.

Managed to get up both the Crow Road and Tak Ma Doon today as a trial for next week's Robert Millar King of the Mountains Sportive. I think my average speed on the latter was about 3 mph. :blink:

Target next week is 3 and a half hours, but that might be a bit out of my ability. We'll see anyway. :)

We were away for the weekend in Kenmore, Perthshire. Its a lovely part of the country, and I reckon must have some 1st class routes on quiet roads. In saying that, sometimes the quiet, rural roads can be the most dangerous as motorists aren't expecting much in the way of other traffic to be about, and don't always factor in the possibility of meeting cyclists.

For all that, I think I'll need to stick the bike on the roof carrier sometime and take a trip up to that neck of the woods again.

Talking of dangerousness, did anyone else hear a news story last week about a cyclist who died after hitting a parked van? I think it might even have been in Perthsire or thereabouts. Pretty grim stuff.

In other - more upbeat - news, the weather is great for getting out, so I've brought the bike into work this morning, hoping to do likewise on at least another couple of days. Even a 10 mile commute helps blow the cobwebs away, and it feels good to get the legs going again.

Too bad. I know where you're talking about, but haven't cycled that part. Last year I cycled to the Ardrossan ferry, but after all the meandering through Irvine, I took my chances on the by-pass for the bit to the Pennyburn roundabout - maybe it's safer than the cycle path!

The cycle path is usually safe enough, just unfortunate that I was on the same stretch at the same times as that idiot :) No real harm done though!

Managed to get up both the Crow Road and Tak Ma Doon today as a trial for next week's Robert Millar King of the Mountains Sportive. I think my average speed on the latter was about 3 mph. :blink:

Target next week is 3 and a half hours, but that might be a bit out of my ability. We'll see anyway. :)

Don't get too hooked up o how fat you get up them, just get up them.

Two tough climbs,especially from the Kilsyth side for the Tak and Lennoxtown side for the Crow.

I cam back from Majorca having done loads of really tough climbs thinking I'd be able to fly up them.

Wrong!!!!

They still kill me