Official P&b Cycling Thread

I have only had one puncture running marathons plus on hybrid, road and single speeds, that's in three years or maybe 3,500 miles... Running that at probably 110 Psi.

I take it on the road bike you are running the 700x25s. Did they fit ok as the clearance looks like it might be quite tight on my triban 3.

Jeeze, that is adventurous. I'd never attempt either road! 

To be honest the A8 is a road I wouldnt have usually done. But it was quiet so I just got the head down and went for it as quick as poss. The hill at largs is something I've wanted to give a bash though.

Carnage at last nights club training.

Someone decided to turn left at a junction we always go straight past.

Result .. Two hospitalised one with broken collar bone and wrist and the other with broken arm.

Others with injuries ranging from bad cuts and bruises,to really bad gravel rash.

Making me seriously re-consider going out on the high speed training nights and just sticking to weekend club runs.

For once ,I was away out in front trying to make a break,so thankfully wasn't involved

We talking a cyclist? not a motorist hopefully

As an aside my LBS told me gatorskins arent great for puncture resistance due to the small size of the puncture proof kevlar and I should fit Marathon Plus tyres which have a much greater puncture resistance. I must admit I have been picking up alot of punctures on the Gatorskins but I have only been running them at 60 psi. Anyone think there is any truth in what my LBS are saying.

I think it's running them at 60 psi. You must have been able to feel the rim hitting over bumps.

I've had 1 puncture in the past 8 months on gatorskins, about 5000 km of running. I did have to replace one after the canvas started showing! So I like 'em.

Did a 56 mile in house charity ride/sportive yesterday from Callander. My target was to beat 4 hours, and my time was 3hours 59mins and 38seconds! Delighted. :-)

Next up the Robert Millar Sportive, shorter route, over Tak Ma Doon and Crow Road.

Out for a wee run today and I met a German chap on his touring bike and we got chatting. Turns out he's on the last few days of his Scotland trip having cycled from Edinburgh - Ayr - Ardrossan - Arran - Campbelltown - Jura - Mull - Skye - Harris - Lewis - Thurso - Kirkwall - Lerwick - John o Groats - Inverness - Fort William - Oban - Loch Lomond until I bumped into him near Doune.

Absolutely incredible. Not bad for a pensioner and puts my annual Glasgow-Edinburgh PFS in the shade :wub:

Apparently, Scotland and Norway are the best cycling destinations in Europe, followed by Romania and Southern Italy.

Seriously looking for advice guys:

I went into the bike shop I use late this afternoon, and I got a teacherly row for the state of my chain etc. I've come home and Gunked it, and will probably repeat that tomorrow. What lubricant should I use thereafter? (Hybrid bike, sometimes but not often used in the wet.)

Also: I took it in because of the rubbing I mentioned in an earlier post. It's the mudguard and they adjusted it, but by the time I got home it's rubbing again. Would I be as well without a mudguard?

Any opinion on Panaracer TourGuard tyres?

Thanks chaps!

I went into the bike shop I use late this afternoon, and I got a teacherly row for the state of my chain etc. I've come home and Gunked it, and will probably repeat that tomorrow. What lubricant should I use thereafter? (Hybrid bike, sometimes but not often used in the wet.)

I use a teflon based lubricant.

Keep it clean by running it through a chain cleaner every couple of weeks then relube it.

Others may differ or have better methods.

Thanks, guys, Finish Line Teflon Plus lube ordered. Dorlomin: excuse my ignorance, but tell me more about the chain cleaner, please.

Sorry to bump in.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barbieri-300006-Chain-Cleaner-Transparent/dp/B001R4BR6E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370773544&sr=8-2&keywords=bike+chain+bath

I think I saw something like this in Lidl not so long ago..?

Actually had a look at that on amazon last night, b-l - thanks. There also are more expensive ones. Can the terminally haunless reasonably expect to operate these wee machines?

I've got a Bikehut (Halfords) chain cleaner, and use it with citrus degreaser. It is very effective and makes a hell of a difference if used often enough.

I used a dry lube once but forgot to reapply it after getting caught in the rain. It washed off too easily, for me, and needs a bit too much attention. My chain was a crusty mess and I had to take if off to deep clean it and ensure all the links were fully eased off. Not a fault with the lube (my own neglect), but I would think twice about using it again.

The key to good chain maintenance, it seems to me, is to ensure that each and every link is properly lubed, and the excess wiped off.

Edited by Drooper

I've got a Bikehut (Halfords) chain cleaner, and use it with citrus degreaser. It is very effective and makes a hell of a difference if used often enough.

I used a dry lube once but forgot to reapply it after getting caught in the rain. It washed off too easily, for me, and needs a bit too much attention. My chain was a crusty mess and I had to take if off to deep clean it and ensure all the links were fully eased off. Not a fault with the lube (my own neglect), but I would think twice about using it again.

The key to good chain maintenance, it seems to me, is to ensure that each and every link is properly lubed, and the excess wiped off.

So, please tell me more about the correct, best way to use the dry lube I've ordered. I've been a slob with this and just used old-fashioned, messy oil. I've today and yesterday quite thoroughly degreased with Gunk and it awaits it's new lube.

BTW - would white spirit be just as good for degreasing?